1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ND-HD1... still worth it?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by aalaap, Sep 24, 2005.

1. aalaap

aalaap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend is getting a Sony NW-HD1 for a pretty good price, so I was wondering if it makes any sense to buy it now that the, well, NW-HD5 is out. After plenty of research, I've figured out that SonicStage will make my life hell (I've already downloaded it and tried it out), but everything else about the player is totally super sweet.

Does it make sense to buy it for maybe around half the retail price (I don't know the exact price)?

Is the 15-quid MP3 upgrade worth it? From what I've read, ATRAC3 playback is less taxing on the NW-HD1's battery, so I may end up converting my MP3s anyway. Plus, I've the sound quality of some ATRAC3plus 64kbps that I converted my MP3s into sounds pretty excellent.

And then, how long does the MP3 upgrade process take? Does it happen online or do you have to send the player to the service center for conversion? This friend of mine will have the piece in hand on Monday (26th September 2005), but it has to be sent to India along with another friend this Friday (30th). Is it possible for the upgrade to take place within this time limit?

If not, is it possible to upgrade the player from India? Is there a downloadable firmware that may let you perform the upgrade process at home?

Lastly, at the risk of getting flamed I shall ask, is there ANY alternative to using SonicStage to transfer music onto the NW-HD1?

Looking forward to some replies...

:lease:

- Aalaap

2. thefair1973

thefair1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you can get this player on teh cheap, and by the looks of some online places you can, I would deffinitely get it. It is by far the best looking player around, and I wouldn't swap it for the world. As for people bitching about SonicStage, it does exactly what it says on the tin - it copies your files to the player. Yes it's a pain that they have to be converted (if you don't upgrade the NW-HD1 to accept MP3'S), Yes it's a pain that it crashes pretty frequently and Yes it's a pain that you cant transfer files back from teh player to a 2nd (or rebuilt) PC, but it's live-able.

As for the upgrade, you need to pay £15 and sent it to a Freepost address. Sony informed me when I booked mione last week that it's a 7-10 working day turnaround.

3. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i were you id try to get the hd3 cheap...

4. aalaap

aalaap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still the smallest hard disk drive-based 20GB player around like it was in 2004? The iPod Nano is surely smaller but it isn't hard drive based and is only 4GB.

Yes, I'm just hoping that its live-able as well. Since it doesn't support USB and you need the cradle anyway, I won't really be using it as a portable device or putting music onto it from multiple sources. And I surely am not going to need to transfer music back onto the PC for which I have the MP3 source anyway!

7-10 days will make me miss the Friday deadline, and if that happens I'd have to wait till end of October or maybe November. I really don't think I can wait that long! Besides, since there is no alternative to using SonicStage to transfer music to the player, and since SonicStage is able to convert MP3 to OMA on the fly, I don't think it makes any sense for me to want MP3 support on the player.

I have a huge collection that I listen to at home and work using Winamp, and in the car on my Pioneer. I need MP3 for these places. But on the player, I don't mind ATRAC3-only, now that its clear that it enhances battery life since its a lower-resource audio codec and that its decent sounding at almost half the size of MP3. More space, more battery, what else do I need? :)

:clap:

Thanks!

- Aalaap

P.S. I kinda asked my friend about other players but apparently theres only the HD1 available for a really good price. It's alright, the specs of the player are fine with me. Thanks anyway!

5. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should consider how you like to organize and navigate through your music. The HD5 has a simpler interface, since it doesn't requires you to push separate buttons to switch from artist to genre etc. and it allows you to use true playlists (the HD1 has only "groups" and is not really user friendly in that aspect). The HD5's screen also looks much more easily readable under any light condition. I still think the HD1, which I own, is the best looking and best built, and it's probably still the smallest. But if I were to choose one now, I'd go for the HD5.

6. Xoligy

Xoligy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to get the HD1 but then I realised I could get the HD3 for £135 (inc. p&p) so I chose that instead. ALTRAC3 is much better than MP3, better quality plus smaller file sizes. If you can find one, get a HD3, if not, HD1 is just as good, plus you get the cool cradle.