NCD for Home insurance ?

BiggieBig

Prominent Member
Reaction score
NCD doesn't seem to be as stright forward for home insurance as it is for cars.

I have had contents insurance for 3 years (Including current year)
building insurance for 2 years. (Including current year)

This year I had to make a claim for contents insurance so thought that this would leave me with 2 years contents and 2 years building.

Tesco my current provider can't tell me because they say they don't actually care or take into account NCD. They also say I won't get any for both building and contents from them because it's a joint policy and i've made a claim this year.

On Confused.com i'm unable to say no claims for 2 years for contents because of the claim this year.

Can anyone claify as i'm confused how much NCB for building and contents I have.

Surly I'm not left with 0 years for both just because i've made one claim in 3 years.

thanks

If you made a claim on your contents you now have zero NCD.

:eek:

even though i've only made one claim in 3 years

is that the same for cars, I thought you would lose only 1-2 years ncd for cars depending on the costs.

Also never seen the option to be able to protect my NCD for home insurance ??????

No if you make any claim you lose your discount, I dont think you can protect NCD on a house.

cheers tks

Because I claimed on contents not building does that entitle me to any building. i.e can I assume my accumuated 2 years for contents is still valid. Even though my contents & building was joined with my previous insurer.

Many websites ask seperately for the two.

There is no fixed format for buildings and contents NCD as there is for motor insurance. It varies from company to company. Sometimes, an insurer may not have a specific NCD system although it is true to say that many do these days.

Others will look at the risk as a whole and may disregard one small claim. This is especially true of insurances designed for people with higher values. If you are one of the masses with average sums insured, then it is highly likely that most insurers will have some sort of NCD scale so the fact you have had a claim, whether it is for buildings or contents will most likely count against you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom