Nba 2k10

simon147

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone picked this up yet?. Just wondering what people think of it?

I've not played a basketball game since the 2K version on the Dreamcast and was wondering which will be probably be best for me. My main game will be single dynasty mode and a bit online maybe. Tried both demo's and although both were enjoyable, i think i liked the look of 2K10 as a quick impression.

i've heard that the 2K version has real lag/slowdown issues, even on single player in certain courts but hopefully a patch will be out soon to sort that out.

I got it yesterday.

First off it is an amazing game, I would say the player likenesses are the best I have seen in any game ever.

Single player plays as well as ever, there is a new stamina bar which limits the amount of turbo you can use at any one time whice is a nice feature.

NBA Today lets you play the matchups that are currently taking place, I was playing one for the Celtics when the commentator started speaking about how poor a game they had yesterday, he is actually describing their real life game which took place, stats for it flow on the ticker tape. All in all sometimes it is hard to tell the difference from a TV broadcast!

The My player mode (Be a pro) is incredibly deep, I have played 20 matches and Im still in the D league with horrible stats. Not overly fond of the grading system but that may be personal preference.

However i stopped playing My player because of the slowdown that occurs once the D league stage is reached :thumbsdow needs patched asap.

Online is a lot less laggy than last year, 5v5 games run smoothly whereas last year they wouldnt even start due to lag.

My opinion overall at the moment is that its possibly my sports title of the year (Ive played them all) but My player needs a lot of fixing.

And the demo is awful compared to the full game, I would definately recommend trying the release version.

I was all set to pick this up but have spent a fortune recently so I'm going to make do with 2K9 for now.
Also, after seeing the first trailer for NCAA BB 10 I nearly sprayed my shorts. There's also going to be ESPN integration as well. Since NFL 2K5 I've dreamed of this kind of presentation in a sports game and now we're getting TWO networks in one game!! :eek::eek:

YouTube - NCAA Basketball 10 CBS Broadcast Integration Trailer [HD]

I really think this is going to set the standard for sports games as long as they don't mess it up. Might just be a College Hoops 2K8 beater for basketball games.

Anyway, back on topic. Last year 2K9 dropped to £19.99 soon after release so I'm going to hang fire for now. Hopefully the framerate problems will be sorted by then. How on earth do release a game with faults like this? :(

Sadly not Sinky, never does :( . But if you've got a PS3 you can easily get it imported. It's out on the 18th of November. NCAA and baseball games are the main reason I bought a PS3. I started a preview thread in the PS3 forum if you're interested.

Last edited:
Not a bad game
at all, can't wait to play it again after FIFA :)

Not a bad game
at all, can't wait to play it again after FIFA :)

Wiser, looking at your profile, are you not playing NBA LIve 10 rather than 2K10?

Last edited:
Just picked it up and had a quick go on the practice court. If anyone fancies an online game in a few days send me a FR. I expect i'm going to be pretty terrible so take it easy with me :rotfl:

How much is it on the high street out of interest Sinky?

Here's a few tips I posted for 2K9. I'm sure they'll still apply for 2K10.

- Play it like real basketball. Don't keep trying to drive at the basket, going on one man runs, etc. Work the ball round and use the full 24 seconds to get the best shot. Do play to your teams strengths though, get it in the hands of your star players but the AI will adapt and start double teaming, etc.

- Signature moves are fantastic but also affect the timing of each players shot. Some have a very early release, some very late and most in the middle. Have a go in practice mode and learn the release times of each player as it gives you feedback on timing.

- On defense, I always play the point guard and just stick with him. I find switching to the player nearest the ball isn't quick enough to keep up if the AI is quick passing. Plus it gives you control of your ball handler if there's a rebound for the fast break.

Saw it in Tesco earlier for £29.71

So is this better to get than NBA Live?

After phoning round the major game stores in my area (about 6) the only one was in a Game store and they were charging £39.99. Anyway, tried my little tesco store which had a copy at the price mentioned below. I'm not 100% but i think NBA live is about £5-10 more than 2K.

I got mine from Shopto for £30, think thats the general area pricewise.

Have given up on My Player, its just too time consuming and have started a fantasy draft on Association.

My starting team for the Lakers

Dwight Howard
Luis Scola
Lamar Odom
Ray Allen
Jose Calderon

To be honest could mess about with fantasy drafts for hours

I got mine from Shopto for £30, think thats the general area pricewise.

Have given up on My Player, its just too time consuming and have started a fantasy draft on Association.

My starting team for the Lakers

Dwight Howard
Luis Scola
Lamar Odom
Ray Allen
Jose Calderon

To be honest could mess about with fantasy drafts for hours

You said earlier that My Player slowed down. What did you mean by that?

You said earlier that My Player slowed down. What did you mean by that?

It lags. It plays like an online game with a bad host, I must admit I have never seen the like of it in an offline mode before.

I found it nigh on impossible to time shots due to it so I gave up.

Patch is meant to be on the way though.

It lags. It plays like an online game with a bad host, I must admit I have never seen the like of it in an offline mode before.

I found it nigh on impossible to time shots due to it so I gave up.

Patch is meant to be on the way though.

Yes very weird for an offline game. Must be a coding issue.

I have decided to rent it instead as funds are tight.

Saw it in Tesco earlier for £29.71

After phoning round the major game stores in my area (about 6) the only one was in a Game store and they were charging £39.99. Anyway, tried my little tesco store which had a copy at the price mentioned below. I'm not 100% but i think NBA live is about £5-10 more than 2K.

Thanks fellas. I think I'm going to leave it to fate and if my local one has it in tomorrow when I go shopping, I'll get it.

Has anyone else seen that stupid CG advert for the game? Why don't they just show in game footage? I'm sure it would sell more copies than that silliness. If I didn't know anything about the game I'd think it was probably pants as they were too scared to show it in the ad. Maybe it's just me.

I saw the advert last night and have to agree with you. It would have been far better to show some in game footage as it really does look amazing.

Played a couple of hours last night, mostly on the practice mode and had one game on pro difficulty. Got my arse well and truly handed to me :rotfl:. I really need to practice defence as the other team seemed to score with every attack, not to mention my poor shooting.

Saying all that, really enjoyed it and looking forward to playing more today :clap:

How accesible are either of these games to a complete noob, who knows virtually nothing about basketball, except for the little they taught me at school, almost 30 years ago:eek:, which I've long since forgotten?:)

How accesible are either of these games to a complete noob, who knows virtually nothing about basketball, except for the little they taught me at school, almost 30 years ago:eek:, which I've long since forgotten?:)

Sounds exactly like me. I must admit that i'm finding it quite hard, even on rookie level i got beat by 6 points:D. There's quite a lot to remember on offence. There is a good practice tutorial i'd advise you try, although even with that, i found myself forgetting some of the moves i had practised :D.
I'm sure the more i play it, the better i will become (which isn't saying a lot :rotfl:)
Must say thought the atmosphere in game is great and when you pull off a great move, it looks fantastic.

I have always found its best to let the CPU do your defending, especially in the paint, like Nik said control just the one player on defence.

On offence take it slowly try to work openings. I definately find the Lakers the best team to start with, the whole team is very strong attacking the basket, if it gets crowded fire it out to Fisher who tends to get open alot for the 3 point shot. And if all else fails just give it to Kobe and pray :D

I think the standard of Rookie in this game would be similar to a Medium/Hard on most sports games, when you get used to the game there is not a huge difference between Rookie and Hall of Fame difficulty.

Played the demos of both this and NBA Live this morning. Apart from some icons that appeared by some of the players on 2K, I couldn't tell any difference between the two games to be honest.

They were both quite fun, but I can't quite decide if they'll have any long-term appeal for me or whether a rental will be enough.

I know very little about ice hockey, but am loving NHL 10, so maybe I'd be the same with basketball.

One thin I did notice, why is the team seemingly made up of 4 guys about 8 feet tall and a midget at the front?:rotfl:

Do either of the games have the option to leave all the substitutions and technical stuff to the AI and leave you just to get on with the action?

Played the demos of both this and NBA Live this morning. Apart from some icons that appeared by some of the players on 2K, I couldn't tell any difference between the two games to be honest.

They were both quite fun, but I can't quite decide if they'll have any long-term appeal for me or whether a rental will be enough.

I know very little about ice hockey, but am loving NHL 10, so maybe I'd be the same with basketball.

One thin I did notice, why is the team seemingly made up of 4 guys about 8 feet tall and a midget at the front?:rotfl:

Do either of the games have the option to leave all the substitutions and technical stuff to the AI and leave you just to get on with the action?

2k10 auto substitutes based on a players energy levels and foul counts, usually I let the computer do all the tactics unless I need specific players on at the one time.

The main thing missing from the 2k10 demo is atmosphere. The full game has superb commentary and crowd interaction and a great broadcast feel.

I guess you were playing as the Lakers with Bynum Gasol Bryant and Artest as the big men with the smaller Fisher.:D

Fisher is like the David Beckham of the team, the skill may not be as great as in the past, but team mates love him due to his workrate experience and craft.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom