1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

navman help please

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by jason t, Jan 22, 2004.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i am thinking of buying the navman 3450 sleeve for my ipaq but wondered if i could use it with tom tom navigator software
    does any body know:confused: :confused:

jason

2. gbrd6u

gbrd6u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best site for asking this would be www.pocketgps.co.uk. I'm pretty sure that you can, but why go for a Navman? If your Ipaq supports Bluetooth then go for the socket receiver, or the Tom Tom Bluetooth receive. They are both Excellent.

Andy

3. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    what is the socket receiver??
    i thought about the navman firstly because of the price £169,the fact its neat and tidy,can be used mobile (i think!!)

jason

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IIRC, then you can use the navman sleeve, but may have to use a different GPS driver file.

The disadvantage with the sleeve is that when you mount the ipaq on your dash, the gps receiver is not in the best place (ie near the windscreen) so you may not get the best reception. This may be worse still if you have one of the special coated windscreens - like some of the Renaults have.

Tomtom is really intended for use with gps when driving. You can still use the maps out of the car without gps. Also, as it is a streetmapping program, then if you do use it out of the car then gps is not that important as you will always be able to find your location from a nearby street sign.

Unless you want to use OS maps for counrty walks etc, then a sleeve may not be the best option. A gps dome reciever can be found for less than half the price of the navman sleeve

I don't really see an advantage for a bluetooth device in-car. A normal wired receiver connected to the dash mount holder is all you need - no fuss and no batteries

5. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i origionally was going to by just a wired gps puck!!but then taking in to account the price say £70 then £100 for tom tom navigator software i thought a better option might be the navman for £169 including the voice guided software,i am new to all this so i dont really know what option is best ,obviously i want the neatest and cheapest good voice guided system!!

jason

6. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I thought the navman jacket only came with its own software?

If you want tomtom, you will still have to buy it separately

7. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    yes the navman does come with its own software but its voice guided thats all i 'm really interested in

jason