Navigon 3310 vs Garmin 1340 vs TomTom XL IQ

janineo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a SatNav to replace the built-in one in our Laguna. (It's stopped receiving the satellites and could cost £300+ to fix).
I much prefer the idea of a SatNav we can take with us to the next car, or on holiday.

We don't do a lot of driving, so don't need one with all the features.
Just Good navigation, Postcode entry, Clear mapping, Reliable hardware/software, widescreen.

Lane assist would be a bonus, but not too bothered about the TMC traffic. We have that with the built in nav, and are not impressed. We'd usually hit the back of the queue by the time the SatNav updated and told us about it.

Not bothered about Bluetooth, or European maps - if we do take it to the Continent, we'll get the maps then.

I've read lots of reviews, and think it's going to be one of these:
TomTom XL IQ Routes
Navigon 3310 max
Garmin nuvi 1340
Budget is £120 +/- £20

Which would you recommend, and why?

Thanks,
Janine

I think the Navigon 4310max would be a good choice for you @ 139.99 from Halfords. It is similar to the 3310max but has reality view pro - like lane assistance but shows you the view out of the windscreen at motorway junctions with the lane to take (the 3310 has the lite version which does not show as many junctions).

It also has premium TMC which seems to work quite well on the Navigons and the routing is very good, having the MyRoutes function which learns the types of routing you prefer. Included are 2 years of free European map updates and 1 year of speed camera updates.

To be honest, if you are eventually going to buy european maps, or anticipate doing so, you are better getting a unit with them already installed, as buying them seperately is quite pricey.

Navigon 2310T Sat Nav - UK, ROI & Europe from Halfords Was £249.99 Save £149.99 Price £100.00 Better than 1/2 price selected Sat Nav & 1/2 price Sendai Sat Nav Accessories when you buy any Sat Nav

this is £100, does all you want from it. You also get 24months of free map updates, this could cost a further £120 from other sat navs.

This is essentially the same, but widescreen. This may sound like a gimmick, but the widescreen makes all the info a lot clearer, espeicially with lane guidance.
Navigon 4310 Max Plus Sat Nav - UK, ROI & Europe from Halfords Was £279.99 Save £140.00 Price £139.99 Up to 50% off all Sat Nav & 1/2 price Sendai Sat Nav Accessories when you buy any Sat Nav

I actually have the 4350max, and it is the best sat nav ive owned. And ive owned quite a few. Wouldnt touch navigon a few years ago, now, they are right up at the top in my opinion. These units are very reliable, and, should you get one that is a duff one, halfords/navigon will replace it without arguement. If you get a duff tomtom, expect to be without it for a few weeks (and when you most need it as well probably) as they dont replace faulty ones, they send them away to holland for repair. All things worth considering.

You really should play around, if you can, to get a feel for them.

you could also look at this:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_728497_langId_-1_categoryId_165685

but expect map updates to be expensive, and potentially brick your unit as tomtom software is pretty shocking.

Thanks for the replies.

Definately want widescreen - after the built-in one, would not be able to cope with a tiny screen!

I was quite interested in the 4310 max, but was unable to persuade my husband that the extra £40 was worth it for the extras he thought we wouldn't use. (He's got an excellent sense of direction. Mine is pants. I blame my mum :) ).

I'm not sure that we will need the European maps - we have no plans at present for them. We are going to the US later this year on a raod trip, but my uncle has an American Garmin, so we can borrow that.

Maybe I'll try again to persude DH that the 4310 is a good choice. Or just buy it! :D
It's not like he ever remembers what the online banking password is.

Thanks,
Janine

Managed to persuade DH to get the 4310 :thumbsup:
Didn't got for the 4350 as don't need the bluetooth.

It's easy to use, picked up the satellites fairly quickly the first time. Was going to take us a long way home, but updated quickly when we went our usual route.
We haven't used it for a longer route yet, but it looks pretty good so far.

A few questions though - the TMC logo stayed red the entire time. There should be stations available for it as the Laguna built-in satnav had green TMC. The power cable was plugged in.

Also when we tried to use the FreshMaps voucher code that came in the box, it told us the code wasn't to be used on the 4310max! Why would there be a code in the box that can't be used with the product?

Janine

Hi Janine

Can't help with the YMC bit I'm afraid but re:

Also when we tried to use the FreshMaps voucher code that came in the box, it told us the code wasn't to be used on the 4310max! Why would there be a code in the box that can't be used with the product?

Apologies if you have already done this but you need to install the Navigon Fresh software. This can be downloaded from the Navigon website.

You then need to set up a Fresh account via the software and also register your sat nav via the same.

You can then purchase the map updates from the relevant link in the software and the discount code should work fine. You can't use the code straight into the Navigon website.

Hope this helps.

Danny B

Hi, agree with the above. If you have already done that and the code doesn't work, ring Navigon and they will apply the code to your account for you. Regards the TMC, I'm not sure if your unit has premium tmc. It might take a while to start picking up info if it's not premium tmc. You could check the tuning info, and manually tune it to classic fm for your area.

Thanks to both of you for the advice, I will try it out tonight.

The box did say free TMC for life - and the settings(?) in the Fresh program said Premium TMC.

From what I can see the 4310 is the same as the 4350, only without Bluetooth.

I'll give the TMC a little longer to see if it wakes up though. I don't have to do anything to turn it on?

If its the same as the 4350, then leave the tuning to auto for the TMC. The TMC will be red if there is no information being received (which could mean there is nothing to broadcast). Another way to use this, is to rather than turn it off completely, leave it in standby. This is only an option if you are going to be using it every day really. Doing this it finds the TMC info, and satellites instantly. What part of the country do you live in? Do you only make short journeys or do you often have long drives?

Regarding the TMC I have generally found I get info during rush hour perods but it is more hit and miss at other times (probably due to the frequency of the broadcasts). Never had my routing affected by traffic info yet so can't really say how well it works.

Most of the journeys are short ones, with a long one every few months.
We're in the South, near the M3, so London commuter belt area. I'll not worry too much about the TMC if it's not updated that often.

I tried putting the voucher in at the checkout section, and it still said invalid code.

I'll give Navigon a call and see if they can sort it out.

Thanks,
Janine

make sure you have the suplied car charger installed as this is also the antenna for tmc! without the charger connected you will not receive it.

Okay, the TMC woke up on a slightly longer journey, so that's ok. Don't know how well it works yet as there was no traffic on the journey!

I called Navigon and spoke to a nice lady who said she would investigate the voucher code and send me an email.

I'm still witing for the email, will let you know when I get it.

Thanks,
Janine

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom