• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Navigon 3300max and TMC

brianchorlton

Standard Member
I purchased a Navigon 3300max from Halfords and was given to understand that included was the standard TMC (Not Premium I know) but when I go into options the traffic icon is not lit up or operable which leads me to believe that this is not included in this model.

Can anyone clarify this for me please as although the sat nav is pleasant when navigating I am finding it a little bewildering at times after using a basic TomTom for so long

It would have been nice to have had the TMC but if this is not the case then I will have to put up with it.

mrash

I bought the 3300max and had the same issue, TMC on the 3300 is an £8 chargeable activation fee, but doesnt work very well at all. It is the same TMC that tomtom and garmin use (which is why i ditched the 205wt) as why pay for something with TMC and it never works???? You can upgrade to premium TMC with the navigon, but i think its £40. So, you may as well take the unit back to halfords and buy the 4350max, which has premium TMC as standard, plus the cheap map updates (£17 for 2 years), as well as all the other full features like lane guidance etc.

brianchorlton

Standard Member
I bought the 3300max and had the same issue, TMC on the 3300 is an £8 chargeable activation fee, but doesnt work very well at all. It is the same TMC that tomtom and garmin use (which is why i ditched the 205wt) as why pay for something with TMC and it never works???? You can upgrade to premium TMC with the navigon, but i think its £40. So, you may as well take the unit back to halfords and buy the 4350max, which has premium TMC as standard, plus the cheap map updates (£17 for 2 years), as well as all the other full features like lane guidance etc.

Although they took the money from my account I have been informed by Navigon that the standard TMC which apparently is not acceptable in the UK and since my 3300max is UK and RI only I would have to purchase the Premium. Unfortunately my 28 days at Halfords is just up so am stumped.
Thanks for your help.

mrash

Send an email to Navigon, or talk to them on the phone. You are in exactly the same situation that I was in. Navigon sent me an email to take to Halfords and agreed to exchange the unit. I was out of the 28 days too. I bought the 3300max initially and specifically wanted TMC, which it said it had, so you are within your rights to swap it and pay the difference if it isn't working/not fit for purpose. I spend a long time trying to get it to work but to no avail. The 4350max works brilliantly, total contrast to the 3300max. The price difference between the 3300max and the 4350max is coincidently the same as the cost of the Premium TMC upgrade....:facepalm:
The customer service is really good. I'm surprised that Halfords still promote the 3300max as having TMC, even though they manager i spoke to said that all the sat navs that use standard TMC are poor at best. Premium TMC is the way forward, it works instantly and accurately. You should be able to exchange it down to the fact it doesnt have the facility as advertised (it does, but just doesnt work well in the UK) under the sales of goods act, good luck :thumbsup:

brianchorlton

Standard Member
Send an email to Navigon, or talk to them on the phone. You are in exactly the same situation that I was in. Navigon sent me an email to take to Halfords and agreed to exchange the unit. I was out of the 28 days too. I bought the 3300max initially and specifically wanted TMC, which it said it had, so you are within your rights to swap it and pay the difference if it isn't working/not fit for purpose. I spend a long time trying to get it to work but to no avail. The 4350max works brilliantly, total contrast to the 3300max. The price difference between the 3300max and the 4350max is coincidently the same as the cost of the Premium TMC upgrade....:facepalm:
The customer service is really good. I'm surprised that Halfords still promote the 3300max as having TMC, even though they manager i spoke to said that all the sat navs that use standard TMC are poor at best. Premium TMC is the way forward, it works instantly and accurately. You should be able to exchange it down to the fact it doesnt have the facility as advertised (it does, but just doesnt work well in the UK) under the sales of goods act, good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for that and I have solved the problem. I don't do a great deal of motoring and certainly not in europe so am quite happy with just uk and ireland. Explained this to Navigon and they said no problem and gave me the premium TMC for the initial £8 I paid them, so all in all really chuffed.
Not had any experience of it yet but from your comments its very good.
While on I love your vent fixing and would love to be able to do it but the new units have a different mount to the one you had(see navigon website) Do you know if the section you show on your vent can be obtained from navigon seperately.
I thing you should patent your idea its brilliant:thumbsup:

brianchorlton

Standard Member
Thanks for that I dont see any dimensions on your pictures but no problem, I think its worth getting one and taking the chance. Better than all over the windscreen.
Thanks again.

mrash

Ok, i think i put the dimensions up on another forum, so here are the pics that show some of the measurements that are needed.

This shows the gap size between the slats in the vent

photo3-1.jpg

This shows the back of the bracket and the sizes of the clip

photo-2.jpg

On the back of the nav unit

photo3.jpg

In place on the vent...

photo-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

brianchorlton

Standard Member
Hi MRASH

Sorry troubling you again but so impressed with the fixing in your jag, I am determined to have a shot at it in my Renault Scenic(Never buy one)I would like to know if I am interpreting the fixing correctly. I note the dimension across the back of sat is approx. 10mm and likewise the gap between the slats.
Am I correct therefore in assuming that you have just inserted it BETWEEN the slats themselves, as initially I had assumed that it was slid over the slat itself.
Sorry being a pain in the neck, but determined to have a go at this as unlike other makes there is no such fixing available I am led to believe at present.

Cheers once again:lesson:

kipster

Was going to try this as the windscreen mount leaves the sat nav a bit of a reach in my car, but am not convinced it wont get in the way of me using my indicator stalk if I mount it on the air vent nearest me and the other vent would not be the best viewing angle. At £5.95 it is not so much of an outlay just to try out but bang on for £4.60 p&p :eek: and its too much.

mrash

Am I correct therefore in assuming that you have just inserted it BETWEEN the slats themselves, as initially I had assumed that it was slid over the slat itself.

It will slot over either way. As i said, it works great in the Jag, but if you want a proper mount i would suggest Brodit or Arkon. I bought an Arkon windscreen mount for my Garmin as the supplied one wasnt very good. I think Garmin now supply Arkons with some of their units!! Arkon I would say probably make some of the most stable mounts out there.

MikeIOW

This mount looks good, but I will second the vote on Brodit's: I have used them for years now.
Only thing now is that with my widescreen sat nav, the mount 'clip' (actually a slot my 4310 slides down into) looks enormous when the satnav isn't in it !!

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom