1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Navigate on Panasonic E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HowardAmos, Apr 12, 2005.

1. HowardAmos

HowardAmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on the verge of purchasing my first DVD/HD recorder.
    I like most of what I see in the Panasonic DMR-E95 (features, connectivity, record time, comments etc).
    But I am very concerned about navigating whats on the disk to find what I want to play!

Currently I have about 50 VHS tapes (mostly 4 hour). Most have several programmes recorded (in LP mode). I have an index (that I wrote myself, running on an old Apple laptop, soon to move to a Psion 5MX) that keeps track of where everything is, an dallows me to search my title, category, duration etc. This is not an archive - its just my somewhat extended timeslip function!

So I expect to have well over 100 programmes on the HD at any time, with extras moved off to DVD.

The manual (for the E100) doesn't inspire me with confidence in the area of browsing through whats stored on the disk.

Questions:

1. How easy is it to flip through the pages of index?

2. Can you do any kind of search (by title, duration etc)?

3. When a programme is stored in (for example) slot 124, will it stay in that slot even if you delete other programmes?

4. When you set time timer, can you see which slot the programme will record into?

If 3 and 4 are both 'yes' then I can simply add a slot number to my own index, and then enter the slot number and ignore the E95's navigation capabilities.

Many thanks,

Howard Amos

2. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The index system is very easy to use although not having much on mine I'm not sure if there is a search facility. You might be able to sort alphabetically though. There are two options, one that gives you a list of thumbnails and another a simple list. The thumbnail view plays the recording in the thumbnail as you select that recording.

Unfortunately if you delete a recording it moves everything up that is after it so your system would fall down I'm afraid.

Editing is very good but takes a bit of practice to start with and the final result can be protected to prevent accidental erasure. Worth practicing on a programme that you don't want to keep first.

Finally, the next recording is simply made in the next slot i.e the last one. If you delete a recording that number is reallocated and everything moved up as I said before.

Hope this helps

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Not sure if the HDD is the best place to store them. DVD would be better, depends how precious they are to you.

Very easy. Titles are shown as thumbnails (not sure how may to a gae, maybe 8), simply select 'Next' to go to the next page.

No

?? Not sure what you mean by 'slots'. It works like adding and removing files from a HDD.

See above. Don't concern yourself with 'slots'.

My advice is to back up your vids to DVD-R.
    Use seperate titles for each item you want to 'index', that way the will appear in teh dvdv menu as thumbnails along with the actual title (if yoy type it in).
    Number each DVD and put all the info into a database.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Assuming the E95's navigation is the same as the E85's:-

1. You can choose between a thumbnail view, with 6 titles at once on the navigation screen, or a list view, with 9 titles at a time. I only use the list view, the thumbnail view is too slow. You can use the cursor keys to move up and down the list to select one, and you can use the skip keys (or on screen previous/next buttons) to page through 9 titles at a time.

Easy when you have a small number of titles (Panasonic speak for recordings), but it gets a bit cumbersome if you have a large number of titles. I'm sure the manufacturers will have to improve the navigation systems as hard disks get bigger. (e.g. by providing Windows-like folders.)

2. No.

3. No. The titles are numbered but, as has already been said, titles below the one you delete are automatically moved up and renumbered.

4. No. Whenever a title is added to the HDD it is added at the end of the list. So the list is normally in order of date and time. However if you dub a title to DVD-RAM, then dub it back to the HDD, it is added to the end of the list, not in date and time order. (If you haven't deleted the original you will then have 2 copies of the same recording on the HDD.)

You say your tapes are mostly E240s and mostly recorded in LP, so I guess you will probably use the E95's LP mode a lot, in which case you might easily get around 200 titles on the HDD. (If you are going to use LP a lot, you might want to consider the new range of Panasonic machines since they have a much improved LP mode.)

5. HowardAmos

HowardAmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the comments folks, you have confirmed my fears about navigation.

Clearly I shall have to think how I would use such a box. Recording everything to DVD would just make it a messier process - I only ever watch anything once.

Trouble is, I can't find any competitor that is any better. JVC seems to have lousy connectivity, and I am finding it hard to find details on some of the others.

Maldonian: You say the new range is better quality - do you mean the E100, or just the E500?

Thanks again,

Howard

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    No to both, Panasonic have announced a completely new range. The ES10 and EH50 are available now with others to follow.

Take a look at the News Centre on the Panasonic UK web site and select the DIGA DVD Recorders item for information about the improvements.

There is a review of the EH50 in the latest issue of Home Cinema Choice (issue 116 page 80 - it may not be in the shops yet, my subscription copy arrived yesterday).