• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Navigate makes my Desire reboot

[email protected]

Established Member
Yesterday when my refurb TomTom satnav was playing silly buggers (again) I turned to my Desire and Google Maps for help. It is far smarter than the TT, and quickly found a local pub that had been suggested to me as a landmark for where I wanted to go. Trouble is, when navigating to it, the phone rebooted. I had to re-unlock it, go back into Maps and start the Navigation process again.

It quickly got its bearings but 30 seconds later rebooted yet again.

This is not the first time it's happened, either.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, have they found a solution? Navigate is so fast and smart and flexible, I would use it al the time, if it didn't continually conk out just when I'm coming up to a five-way junction.

TIA!

[email protected]

Established Member
Don't all rush in with advice. :D

It turns out that overheating, especially during navigation, is a late-developing fault on the Desire and many people have experienced it. Just Google 'HTC Desire reboots during navigation' to find out. There are other symptoms too - odd behaviour after the reboot, like the phone functions not working properly. I had noticed those but not made the connection.

Call the HTC UK helpline on 08458900079 and they will arrange for the handset to be picked up by them and repaired. It takes 10 days. Apparently some people have ended up with completely new handsets, but don't count on it.

I have to say calling HTC was remarkably painless. I was speaking to an actual articulate and intelligent human being within 20 seconds or so, who dealt with my problem efficiently and without any quibbling. I may have to sit down to recover from the shock of the novelty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom