1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nautilus speakers for A32/CD33/DV79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gregeas, Nov 1, 2004.

1. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, it looks like I will probably pull the trigger on a pair of B&W Nautilus 804s.

I'm wondering if anyone has matched these speakers with the Arcam A32 amp. Does the Arcam have power to drive these speakers? Does the bass show up? (I've read that in some systems, the speakers are bass-shy.)

The 804s are quite revealing, so I believe my Arcam sources (CD33 + DV79) will do fine in the system.

Any thoughts or comments?

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A32 will do absolutely fine ! I used that amp to drive the 804 and 803 and it worked fine on both speakers. It has plenty of power and will sound very good.

The A32 will keep the bass under control etc etc, it will be a very good choise.

3. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi gregeas

I have the "baby" version of your system, A85, CD192 and B&W CDM 1NT's. I thought that the set up sounded great untill I added a P85. The change blew me away. IMHO it's well worth getting a demo with the P35. I think that you'll love it!

Phil

4. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will probably sound OK. But, to be frank, the A32 really won't do a pair of 804s anything like the justice they deserve. You really need something like a Krell-class amp to hear how the 804s are meant to sound.

Regards,

Jules.

5. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The audition I heard at the dealer was with a huge MacIntosh amp and source, and the music was stunning. The dealer carries Arcam but didn't have the A32 in stock to demo. So I'm kind of going in blind (deaf?) here. In my research I did notice many people using very high-end amps with these speakers. So there's probably another upgrade on the horizon if I go for the 804s. Thanks for the thoughts.

6. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you decide to keep you Arcam amp, give the B&W 700 series a try. Not sure if the nautilus 804 is a stand mount or floor stander but if you are considering floorstanders I have heard the 704's and 703's and they both produce great results with the right equipment. I was convinced and bought the 704's, mainly 'cos I couldn't afford the 703's and also they are a little bit bigger. :thumbsup:

7. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For a few months before upgraditis was completed I drove my Nautilus 804s with my old Arcam Delta 290 integrated amp and they still sounded stunning to me. Bass was awesome, these speakers rock!

8. gregeas

gregeas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I ended up buying the 804s and am very pleased. I've ordered the P35 amp to go with the A32. This combo should drive the 804s with no problems (I hope, because the upgrading must stop!).

9. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    congratulations on your purchases ! enjoy them