1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nautilus 805's wirh Arcam Avr300 ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pidge22, Jul 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    I currently have Arcam Avr300,Arcam Dv89 Dvd player,M&K 750 L/C/R,1250Thx sub & 550's surrounds.
    I am thinking to changing initially the fronts to Nautilus 805's and the centre to the Htm2,eventually when I can afford it I will change the Surrounds and Sub to B&W 800 range as well.
    I have read on this forum that the 805's can be difficult to drive.Will the Avr300 work with the 805's or am I wasting my money and need to consider some other speakers?

Pidge22

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The 805s will work fine with the AVR300, though I would recommend the 4 ohms speaker setting (which is the factory default anyway) on the 300 for best results. If you are running a 5.1 system you can also bi-amp the 805s using the AVR300's spare 6th and 7th channels - this will improve the sound usefully.

Finally you may wish to note that the 300 also has pre outs for all channels, so you can always add an external power amp for the front speakers later if you wish.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pidge,
    there are surely better solutions for more money but it will definately be able to drive them. I had one home for a weekend demo and it is a nice product indeed. (We ended buying Denon but for different reasons.)
    The only thing I tried and somehow did not like is to bi-amp with one AVR300, just had no time to dig deeper.

But whatever you want to do TRY IT FIRST AT HOME !

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    On the subject of 805's being difficult to drive,I'll say this....when I demo'd them in a local dealer's very nice listening room,I tried them with a TAG 5x100W amp,and at anywhere above moderate listening levels,the TAG was clearly having trouble,despite it's ratings.
    At home,run off a set of rather elderly Krell KMA100's....not a flicker of trouble at uncomfortably loud levels.
    It's reasonably clear from my experiences,plus other users,and reviewers,that the 805's have a nasty low impedance swing at low frequencies,which places a demand on the amp for high current and control at those frequencies,and any amp with limited abilities in those regions will struggle.

Both Plump and John Dawson make some very useful comments,but the most important is to try them at home,and at the sort of levels you normally listen to,with the media you normally use....they are clear,smooth,but unforgiving of source shortcomings.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would upgrade your amplification before your speakers, "theres no point having a porsche if its powered by a lawn mower engine" :thumbsup:

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A friend of mine had B&W 602s6 + lcr600s3 + 600s3

Traded them for 805's + Htm2 and doesn't fell the need for other surronds.

Is got a Sony Receiver + Audio Analogue power for fronts, Rotel and AMC powers for rears and center.

The AA power does a good job with the 805's.

7. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have seen an Arcam Fmj p35 (3 channel ) for sale the power is the same 100 watts per channel as the Avr300, will I see any noticable improvement with this driving the low frequencies on the fronts and centre with the Avr 300 driving the high frequencies on the fronts and centre as well as the surrounds?

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You must try to really find out...