Naughty SonY!

H

hadders127

Hi all.

Just phoned Sony to voice my opinion about the availability of the KDL-V40A12U model with regards to the £200.00 cashback offer, for combined purchase, ie. with DVD player.

I stated that I am struggling to find stock, and as the offer ends on the 12th March 2006, I will probably miss out on the deal. I was advised that 'this depends where you are looking.' I know exactly what she meant: 'Buy one at the ridiculous price of £2,400, ie, at your local Sony Centre.'

No win situation. Pay full price now (as compared with the price of around £2,000 on the net for the product), and even with the £200.00 cashback offer, you are still out of pocket by about £200.00, although you have an extra item.

Is this merely a supply problem, a supply / demand situation, or a pure Hype Tactic???

Enough moaning for now!

Just the usual price fixing that every uk high st store does.

It really fluxes me and makes my blood boil.

If I see the WEB SPECIAL price one more from all of these large retailers I will scream.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

hadders127 said:
Hi all.

Just phoned Sony to voice my opinion about the availability of the KDL-V40A12U model with regards to the £200.00 cashback offer, for combined purchase, ie. with DVD player.

I stated that I am struggling to find stock, and as the offer ends on the 12th March 2006, I will probably miss out on the deal. I was advised that 'this depends where you are looking.' I know exactly what she meant: 'Buy one at the ridiculous price of £2,400, ie, at your local Sony Centre.'

No win situation. Pay full price now (as compared with the price of around £2,000 on the net for the product), and even with the £200.00 cashback offer, you are still out of pocket by about £200.00, although you have an extra item.

Is this merely a supply problem, a supply / demand situation, or a pure Hype Tactic???

Enough moaning for now!

1st things 1st,Sony Centres are not owned or run by Sony,they are a franchise:smashin:
secondley you dont need to have the stock to claim your £200 cashback(the cash back is on dvd rcorders or home theatre kits)as long as you have proof of purchase the 2 items where bought before 12march thats fine(last days for forms to arrive st sony 12th april).:thumbsup:
So you can order your equipment and wait till you have them delivered:smashin:

greyhorse said:
Just the usual price fixing that every uk high st store does.

It really fluxes me and makes my blood boil.

If I see the WEB SPECIAL price one more from all of these large retailers I will scream.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

if rent,rates,wages etc...where free them im sure the prices would be cheaper:D

but what really pees me off is when people buy off the internet,and when they have a fault or need help then they soon come instore asking :mad:

I payed £2400 for the same TV and got the £200 cashback when I also bought a Home cinema system. I know you say that you would still be out of pocket £200 but I managed to get a 5 year warranty thrown in as well because John Lewis were selling them for the same price with a 5 year warranty. So if you look at it that way then it is not such a bad deal after all, plus if you are dealing with the Sony Center they will come to your home and set it all up for you as well as your Home cinema system if you were to buy one.

Also the Sony center gave me a 42" plasma with the same Home cinema system as I had ordered but with the wires (I ordered the wireless one) on loan until my Bravia V40 came into stock which was about 3 weeks.

You cant ask for a better service than that now can you???

I would be careful buying expensive items like TV'S over the internet, if there is any problems in the early stages of ownership then you can guarantee that it will be a hassle to sort out with a web based dealer. I know for a fact that if I was to have a problem with my TV over the next year then the Sony center would either replace my TV straight away or give me a another TV on loan until mine was fixed.

Hope this helps.

kourosh said:
if rent,rates,wages etc...where free them im sure the prices would be cheaper:D

but what really pees me off is when people buy off the internet,and when they have a fault or need help then they soon come instore asking :mad:

sorry cant go along with that, we pay over the odds in the UK and its a free market, but look at the prices instore from all the major high street shops and most prices are few pence with each other. Perhaps if the shops sold some bargains they would have more people coming in to buy, Im afraid to say we get fluxed on everything.

How much do you think John Lewis actually pays for a Sony screen that retails for £1500, I have a friend at JL and they have nearly 60-100% mark up on every product they sell, Thats buying power.

More and more people use the net as they are sick of paying over the odds.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

greyhorse said:
How much do you think John Lewis actually pays for a Sony screen that retails for £1500, I have a friend at JL and they have nearly 60-100% mark up on every product they sell, Thats buying power.

John Lewis must buy their screens at a small fraction of most other retailers then, since Comet's markup is only about 10%. If your interested in the exact markup price for all AV products I'll be more than happy to enquire for you.

And theres nothing wrong with buying on the Internet. However, some people prefer the perks of a face-to-face salesman and a physical shop to return the goods to. If you dont wish to pay extra for these benefits then the Internet is fine, but you shouldn't expect to get the perks of both the Internet and high street retail from the same product.

So for you personally, price matters, but some people look for other things when purchasing their items.

The only point I agree with you on is that we pay far more than other countries, but that isn't the fault of the retailer.

I'm with Gavin83 on this one.

I ordered my LCD online, when it arrived it didn't work. Took me over a month to get a refund, and they charged me 50 to collect the thing.

In the end, I bought one 200 dearer from my local AV shop, but at least if it goes wrong, or I have a problem, all I need to do is drive 5 mins down the road for a replacement. Well worth 200 quid if you ask me!! :D

Also, the people in there aren't so much salesmen, but AV enthusiasts, so were a great help and were actually interested in the stock they were selling.

G

greyhorse said:
I think your friend is wrong. I have worked for a large AV franchise (which probably has better buying power then JL) and I got to see some of the buy in prices. I can assure you it is not as easy to say 60%-100% markup. For TV's that are freely available on the internet then there could be 0% - they have to make their money by selling other items such as cables. For TV's that can only be sold throught approved retaillers, the the markup would be more but nowhere near the amount you say. I would go as far to say as it would be considerably less than normal retail. As for speakers and cables then your figures are not so far out, but still on the high side.

greyhorse said:
sorry cant go along with that, we pay over the odds in the UK and its a free market, but look at the prices instore from all the major high street shops and most prices are few pence with each other. Perhaps if the shops sold some bargains they would have more people coming in to buy, Im afraid to say we get fluxed on everything.

you forget half the stuff are non uk specks that are cheaper on the net,We buy V40 in at £1678inc vat,and sell for £2399,inc 3 year warrenty
Then you have to pay rent,rates,bills,wages commison to staff for selling the item,if they buy other equipment discount,so how much do you think is left of the £700 profit:suicide: you should try and run a electrical store:suicide:

kourosh said:
you forget half the stuff are non uk specks that are cheaper on the net,We buy V40 in at £1678inc vat,and sell for £2399,inc 3 year warrenty
Then you have to pay rent,rates,bills,wages commison to staff for selling the item,if they buy other equipment discount,so how much do you think is left of the £700 profit:suicide: you should try and run a electrical store:suicide:

Well we all make choices and if electrical stores didnt make money they wouldnt be here.

You cant get away from the fact that price fixing goes on.

The point that Im trying to make is that retail stores have internet prices and shop prices, at the end of the day why should it make any odds, why dont they have just one price and perhaps more and more people would actually go into a store.

When you can purchase anything in the USA at less than the $ to £ why should the uk pay these over inflated prices.

The main point im making is If you ring 10 Sony centres they will charge the same price 99% of the time. Look at JL + Dixons+ Comet store prices are a few pence out. Its price fixing at the end of the day.....................

Thats why everyone wants the service of JL but internet prices.

Free market is great and if the small store is loosing out then they have to re-think the business plan, I have no sympathy for any company, make your business work and be competitive.

kourosh said:

Forgot to point out if your a retailer and you make £700 on one set, you havent pointed out how big your store is, but im sure your aware that bigger companies have better buying power. So if your small and make £700 you dont mention that you havent purchased direct from Sony and there will have been several agents in front of that supply chain making even more money, isnt that how it works ???????????????

This £200 cashback offer, if you get the Sony V32 from any retail outlet can you get it?

I'm not sure how it works, if you have a valid receipt do you send it to Sony for a cashback form?

I can't find this on Sony webstie. Last month I popped into JL they mentioned a £200 cashback offer, but not this month.

Thanks in advance.

As long as you pay for or have taken terms of finance or whatever BEFORE the offer runs out you can still claim the cashback, I had an email that was sent from sony to robert whyte because of the shortages.

SO they are doing thier part to honour the deal.

@bigboy_lcd,
You need to purchase a dvd recorder or home cinema kit at the same time as the TV (paying full price) fill in the form and send the form and recipts off to sony for a cheque to be delivered to you within 28 days. The form should be available at JL or sony centre stores. You can purchase from anywhere i think, aslong as both are done at same time.
I think you could print one out from online, its available somewhere.

greyhorse said:
Well we all make choices and if electrical stores didnt make money they wouldnt be here.

The point that Im trying to make is that retail stores have internet prices and shop prices, at the end of the day why should it make any odds, why dont they have just one price and perhaps more and more people would actually go into a store.

When you can purchase anything in the USA at less than the $ to £ why should the uk pay these over inflated prices.

The main point im making is If you ring 10 Sony centres they will charge the same price 99% of the time. Look at JL + Dixons+ Comet store prices are a few pence out. Its price fixing at the end of the day.....................

Free market is great and if the small store is loosing out then they have to re-think the business plan, I have no sympathy for any company, make your business work and be competitive.

i work in a sony centre,we dont have online prices!!sony dont have online stores either!!
sonystyle is a privatly run buisness just like sony centres.
sony has no say on who should sell what and at what price.
and sony centres are not part of sonystyle.
dixons and comet online differ to instore,you cant buy online and take back instore if faulty,also if they was the same why dont they ever price match there own online price.

greyhorse said:
Forgot to point out if your a retailer and you make £700 on one set, you havent pointed out how big your store is, but im sure your aware that bigger companies have better buying power. So if your small and make £700 you dont mention that you havent purchased direct from Sony and there will have been several agents in front of that supply chain making even more money, isnt that how it works ???????????????

we buy straight of sony there is no front agents

When i went into the Sony Centre on the day i purchased it the guy asked what line of work i was in, don't know if they had some sort of system for discounts but i got 15% off for working with the MoD, might be worth seeing if you can get a discount for any reason from Sony Centres, because if you don't ask you'll never get it anyway.

Argee1977 said:
When i went into the Sony Centre on the day i purchased it the guy asked what line of work i was in, don't know if they had some sort of system for discounts but i got 15% off for working with the MoD, might be worth seeing if you can get a discount for any reason from Sony Centres, because if you don't ask you'll never get it anyway.

:thumbsup: all sony centres can discount;)

kourosh said:
:thumbsup: all sony centres can discount;)

Yeah, i know virtually all shops can discount, i've got a few discounts for several items such as watches, bikes, etc but if you can find out if they do set discounts for certain things then you may be able to knock that RRP price down to a more internet priced level. Its just a lot of folk on here seem to think that the Sony Centres are a rip off when in reality if you get a discount of even 10% off you're well worth it due to the service and easy access to the shop for any troubles and delivery.

greyhorse said:

What exactly are you referring to in regard to the price fixing? You mean the difference between store and Internet prices? If you really wanted the prices the same then the only choice would be to increase the net prices. Afterall, high street stores have several extra costs not required in a Web based market. If store prices dropped to match net prices high street stores simply wouldn't be able to maintain the running costs and therefore would close.

As Ive already stated, the inflated costs in a UK market are not down primarily to the retailer.

Your right, everyone does want Internet prices with high street services. Currently this is an option but in a few years time high street stores simply wont exist, with all electrical goods being sold online. A number of retailers went out of business last year, with the vast majority taking a huge hit in profit. Expect high street retail to die.

This is a problem thats spread over a lot of retail areas within the UK (and the world), cheaper internet stores that have instant stock seem to be killing Local Retail Shops, but again its the same in other areas where a lot of the stuff is cheap due to it being either OEM equipment, grey imports or bulk buys that a LRS couldn't match.

As for the states, well they always seem to be cheaper for goods, it runs all the way through the retail sector, but in the states they do have to add on state taxes and i think that the average salary isn't as high over there as it is here. Also, i used to think that their petrol costs were low over there, but have a look into what they pay in interest on mortgages and its shocking compared to over here!

it says 12th April the cashback forms have to be at sony, why are you guys saying 12th march ?

Actually here in Glasgow the nearest Sony Centre was charging about 200 pounds more than John Lewis were for the KDL-V26A12U.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom