Naughty retailer. What should I do?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jhkanguk, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 10 months old Tosh DLP TV got a problem so I called Gultronics (where I bought it on the web).

They arranged a repair company to visit my house.

Then the fun started.

Gultronics refused to pay 70 quid callout charge to the repair company.

Toshiba told Gultronics that Gultronics is responsible for the callout charge, but Gultronics just refused to pay it, saying that they arranged callout only on behalf of customer(me)!

There was no mention of callout charge from them until I heard about the row. When I called them to report the problem, they just said "we will send you an engineer." They should have mentioned callout charge at that stage if they wanted me to pay for it, but they didn't. The TV is under warranty btw.

2nd visit was needed to fix the TV but the repair company won't come again unless they are paid for the 1st callout charge. (2nd callout was offered free)

In the end, I had to pay it to fix the TV.

The repair company said Gultronics was disgusting.
    Toshiba granted 1 year extended warranty to me as a compensation.

How can I get money back from this naughty retailer and punish them?

2. woodmaster

woodmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cant offer any help but boy these stories wind me right up I hate it when people get ripped off I wish you good luck,Im going into the garden to break something :mad: :mad:

3. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    O.k firstly get on to the Citizens advice bureau, confirm all the details with them, it helps to take receipts and any times/dates or correspondance between yourself and gultronics to get everything straight. If you get a nice person who isn't to bored to help they will call up on your behalf to argue the case or advise you of the best course of action to handle it yourself.
    Just remember these guys are volunteers and a registered charity so treat them with the respect they deserve and don't have expectations that your paying their wages like a government dept. be patient and let them deal with things, I personally have seen them treated like doormats when I went on one occasion without call.

4. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you bought the TV on a credit card originally - contact the credit card company for assistance.

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,125
    gultronics are not responsible for call out charge nor is the customer,its toshiba who are responsible.i work in a sony centre this is how things are done,
    if there is a problem with a set the customer calls us,then we contact autorised sony repaire agents for sony,then they go to customer and all costs are passed on to sony end of story.The only thing that i can think happened is the agent that gultronics called wasnt toshiba agent,im glad i never bought mine from there i went to there store in london at the time i wanted the set.
    i wish you luck mate,if you need to know anything else let me know :thumbsup:

6. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kourosh

That is what I though how it should work until I had this problem.
    The way Toshiba works seems to be different.
    I had 2 problems so far with the TV. I called Toshiba support centre to report it, they confirmed it was a technical fault, then they asked me to contact retailer to arrange repair.
    That is why I went back to Gultronics and they arranged callout.

The repair company is authorised Toshiba agent and they fixed my TV under Tosh warranty. However, they asked Gultronics to pay for callout not Toshiba.

It seems to be the way Toshiba operates.

7. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kouroush

Could you do me a favour?
    Can you please call the retailer you bought yours from and ask them who will pay callout charge if your TV got a problem?

I think it will help me solve my situation.

Many thanks

8. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think what we forget here is that your contract is with Gultronics, not with anyone else. Whoever charges who is irrelevant, notional or otherwise, your contract is with Gultronics, not with the repair company or even toshiba. To be honest it was a mistake to pay for the charge, you have almost zero chance of getting that back IMO.

9. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Yeah, I also think you made a mistake paying the charge, but I can perfectly understand that. All you wanted was your TV fixed! I thought every electronic product you buy has to come with one year's MANUFACTURERS Warranty??? I'm confused as to why Toshiba passed you to the repair company and even more confused that they had the nerve to charge you for a product that was clearly under warranty.

Overall though, I think Gultronics should be sorting this out for you. You bought the TV from them so they should sort it out. If they have a store go down and ask to speak with a manager immediately and explain the situation. What is especially disappointing is the fact that they did not even advise you of a charge! That is down right unacceptable. Go down to them and let loose.

10. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,125

i bought mine straight from tosh them selves,i work in a sony centre,and our service centre also repairs tosh and panasonic stuff.
    the owner there is a good friend of mine,so he went straight to tosh and got me mine of them.i know if i get any probs i just get in touch with our service centre

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    :eek: Shocking story. Adding Gultronics to the no go list. :nono:

12. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    contact your local trading standards,they will advise you and if you ask them nicely they should contact the retailer on your behalf.but in the mean time tell them if you dont get your money back you will give them as much bad publicity as possible. eg av forums ,watchdog , and finish off with the statement it takes years to build a business it only takes a minute to knock it down. also do the same to toshiba it seems that they know that they are in the wrong by the fact that they have offered you a extra years warranty. best of luck my friend.As i have stated before on the forum the consumer rights in this country are a load of sh**e.

13. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. gettingthefear

gettingthefear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try living in france - at least in the uk anything the salesman says is just as binding on the retailer as anything in the written agreement. not so in france - if it's not written down, it doesn't count so they can tell you a load of p*sh and there's no comeback on the shop...... :mad:

15. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +751
    My Tosh broke down (seized colour wheel) and I went straight back to RGB Direct whom I'd bought it from. They at first said I should contact Toshiba directly, even giving me a number and contact at Toshiba. Phoned them and they said the first year was with the retailer and no one else.

So, back to RGB who agreed okay perhaps it was their responsibility but they couldn't fix a 52" RPTV as they didn't have the capability. So they faxed Toshiba and arranged for them to fix it on RGB's behalf. So next I get a call from Toshiba saying they had arranged for a repair company to fix it (what the hell was wrong with their own engineers, I wondered?). Then I get a call from D.K.Audio calling to arrange collection as they don't fix on site. Fair enough, I says whereupon they say 'and that will be £63 please for the collection and re-delivery'. 'On your bike', I says, and calls back to RGB-Direct about it. They wring their hands and say they have no easy way to pay D.K.Audio would I please pay it and they would credit my credit card.

I know I should've held firm and refused but I really wanted my TV fixed so I reluctantly agreed. To be fair to both RGB-Direct and D.K.Audio, it did all go according to plan, in as much as they repaired it and RGB-Direct did finally credit my credit card after I'd sent them all the original invoices etc (they at first took it out again, but then put double back - the muppets).

The most annoying thing in all this is that I'm sure Tosh could have sent an engineer out who would have fixed it on the spot in about five minutes. But that's another debate.

As for Gultronics, wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole. I remember then right back to my student days and forays to Tottenham Court Road. Bunch of spivs back then, and it appears they haven't changed much.

Regards

Mark

16. Akumagoshi

Akumagoshi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had anything but trouble with Gultronics they are a waste of space. Never bought online but made the mistake of buying from Tottenham Court Road shop where they were happy to haggle but not happy when the MP3 player packed in :eek:

Useless after sales service AVOID :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

17. DSPUK

DSPUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I bought my Tosh 46WHO a few years ago from RGB it had a optical card fault so rang RGB and they said they would send a local Tosh engineer out -- after a number of weeks the engineer from Stoke on Trent fixed the card - It seems the wait was for the repair kit - Toshiba had a standard repair kit that was sent to the engineer when his turn came up on repair list - he then sent kit back which was restocked and sent to next engineer on list - I paid neither RGB or engineer - I to thought RGB was dragging their heels but as it was due to wait for kit the service they supplied was faultless :)
    Never had problem with 46WHO since - hope the LG52 is as reliable

Dave

18. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Tough its under warrenty, theres no charges under warrenty for the consumer so you shouldnt be forcing the customer to pay the fee you should be claiming off the companies on who's behalf your working for. If they wont pay then dont do the callout and let the customer know so they can take the matter further for it not being repaired/replaced.

If any company ever asks for money in the UK to repair something under warrenty refuse, if they wont fix it take em to a small claims court. If its under payment via a credit card tell the credit card company who will reclaim it themselves, if its under a credit agreement then it states the company is in breach so you can get onto them and even have the credit agreement cancelled and the credit company will go after the company in question for the funds..

People like watchdog are useless and dont have any official capacity, just use trading standards and put everything in writing, send a registered complaint via mail recorded delivery seeking payment for this bill on this television and if they refuse let trading standards know again and just go straight to the small claims court with it (its easy enough to do, Ive done it myself 3 times). I think the safest thing to always do with electrical purchases is pay with a credit card.

19. Amrit

Amrit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but if your under toshibas warrenty shouldnt they be sending out the repair man instead of gultronics? Im sceared now as i ordered from gultronics:'(

Ordered the kdfe50 from em. I would of thought d&g would be the people who will send out the repair men.

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    At the end of the day the contract is with whoever sold you the product. End of story.

21. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    1st year is with the shop/manufacturer, D&G kicks in from year 2 unless the claim is for accidental damage.

HTH

Bal

22. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,469
    mutts:

1: There is no need to SHOUT!
    2: I've got no idea how you became involved in this particular case nor any of the detailed background to the circumstances.

However, as I see it, there are NO circumstances in which a customer should be expected to pay a callout charge to anyone in respect of faulty goods. If you were contracted by Gultronics, then it is they with whom you have a dispute over fees - not the poor sod who has been sold a demic television - and asking the customer to resolve what is your issue with Gultronics was, in my opinion, NOT the right way to go about it.

23. mutts

mutts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For information the customer contacted us not gulltrtonics i spent half the morning on the phone to gulltronics trying to resolve the situation
    they would not budge i reported the refusal to the customer who agreed to pay subject to sorting out with the dealer as it stands i have just been told what toshiba are paying £30.00 for all our trouble you think thats ok
    for something i didnt sell in future i will not accept any warranty from any internet company the customers can sort it out themselves .
    you try and help people only to get it thrown back in your face

24. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I think the dealers have to cover this cost. The service company has made no money from the product, and most manufacturers will only pay 'limited' call out charges to service companies via a warranty claim (usually on large products that customers cannot move themselves). In most warranty documents you get with the product (from the manufacturer), one of the exclusions is 'call out/transport charges.

25. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    You come across angry at AV Forum members. I'm somewhat confused at your tone since not one person has criticised your company (at least up to your post).
    You want to chill out a bit. AV Forums members could be your friends in this matter with the fault clearly at Gultronnics' door. But shouting stroppily at them will hardly get them sympathetic to your position.

26. mutts

mutts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bad day when i did the first post nasty rta with my youngest son in the car:oops:
    wont post anymore leave you all to it :rolleyes:

tara mutts