"Naughty box" and Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Mar 24, 2006.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I would love to use digital picture signals from Sky HD, but my main (plasma) display at end of chain is not HDCP compatible so I will be stuck with component outputs rather than HDMI.

Wonder which of the "naughty boxes" will solve my problem? :devil: Anyone lined up with one to test with Sky HD?

StooMonster

2. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I thought they where not going to use HDCP?

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Since when? Great news if true.

But I've always thought HDCP would be enabled ... as it is on any HDMI DVD player, and the STBs in USA.

In fact, are there any (official) HDMI implementations with HDCP turned off?

StooMonster

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    They are, just not mandatory to use HDMI and analog out will support high resolutions

5. bonytony

bonytony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat - relatively new LG LCD that is not HDCP and what's more, it hasn't got component input either, only DVI.

I've already pre-ordered Sky HD, so what do I do? Do I cancel, or hope that a "naughty" box will provide a fix?

If so, which one do I buy????? HELP! :lease:

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    HDCP will be applied, but only to the HDMI output. HDCP = High bandwidth Digital Content Protection, so it cannot be carried on the component out. As the HDCP noose tightens the HD broadcasts available on the analogue output will probably tail off. At some time Sky may well turn it off altogether.

As to best naughty box, about the only one still easily available is that (DVIFIX) sold by Keene (or Lektropacks?). That turns HDCP DVI into non-HDCP VGA. I think the ones that kept it digital and stripped out the HDCP are no longer available, but I may be wrong.

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    HDCP will be applied, but only to the HDMI output. HDCP = High bandwidth Digital Content Protection, so it cannot be carried on the component out. As the HDCP noose tightens the HD broadcasts available on the analogue output will probably tail off. At some time Sky may well turn it off altogether.

As to best naughty box, about the only one still easily available is that (DVIFIX) sold by Keene (or Lektropacks?). That turns HDCP DVI into non-HDCP VGA. I think the ones that kept it digital and stripped out the HDCP are no longer available, but I may be wrong.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Ah ... if you look around hard enough on the interweb, you can find whatever you need. ;)

Although "naughty boxes" are getting very hard to find.

StooMonster

9. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'd imagine sky will be the same as TW. ie Their own content such as sports, skyone, discovery etc will be available over component, whereas boxoffice and movies will be HDMI HDCP only at the insistance of the movie companies.

10. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    There's an HDMI to component box knocking around.. I saw a couple of HDMI to DVI boxes a while back.

We really need to wait until china gets its ass in gear and produces a few of these.. then they'll be nice and cheap.

11. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  12. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  13. WillBowling

WillBowling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    convert component to vga and vga to component, not ideal but it will work. your dvi will pick up the converted vga to dvi connection in its analogue mode... (on your tv dvi (dvi-i) is analogue (dvi-a) and digital (dvi-d))

(that is of course unless you can get a component to dvi direct converter although i havent seen one)

14. wandersen

wandersen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think you are better off using one of the boxes above to convert HDMI to VGA as you then know that you'll be able to watch all content.

15. WillBowling

WillBowling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    its not about what content you'll get... a box with component will work forever. the problem is that they cant insist on using hdmi or digital dvi as not enough people have it. as it becomes more popular sky will make digital out only boxes and hdcp will of course be on the majority of content(sorry ed:all content output through a hdcp enabled connection will carry hdcp). the component is not something they have to add an extra signal for, its just an output type that does not carry hdcp that runs alongside the digital out that does have hdcp. the second generation of sky hd boxes will not have a high def analogue output. only digital with hdcp.

16. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    I wouldn't expect a naughty box to work forever anyway due to key revocation.

17. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hasn't happened yet.. they said the same about DVD but I'm not aware that any DVD player keys have ever been revoked.

All it takes is for one of those boxes to use the key from eg. a Sony TV, and any chances of it being revoked are reduced to near zero.

18. derekaj

derekaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi WillBowling

Are you saying here, if you purchase the first Sky HD box with component then your box will always be able to transmit HD content on the component output?

I'm a little worried that I purchase Sky HD (knowing I only have component) then in a year they switch off HD content via component and I'm left with a pricey Sky+ alternative unless I upgrade my equipment to HDMI.

Does anyone know if hd movies will be transmitted over component?

Thanks derekaj

19. Stephen Wilde

Stephen Wilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I asked Sky about this when I ordered HD this morning.
    My old family plasma does not have HDMI so will have to use component indefinitely or until replaced.
    They said there will be a mix of protected and unprotected output from the start and the component source will only supply unprotected.
    That is fine by me because the other plasma will accept HDMI and I get both on the same subscription but those with component only displays will not be getting full value for the subscription if what I have been told is true.
    The question is how much material will be protected. I got the impression that protected broadcasts would be limited to recent box office material. It would be in the interests of Sky to keep protected material to a minimum possibly to match their Sky Box Office programme.
    For political and commercial reasons I think Sky is itself over a barrel on this and could be our main ally. Their interests run against those of the originators of the broadcast material.

20. WillBowling

WillBowling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i thiink Stephen Wilde has summed this up quite well.
    my post was badly written, but essentially sky can only make their channels protected if the majority have digital hdcp protection compatible tv's. most do not. there is no reason for sky to want people to have hdcp.

21. bonytony

bonytony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is very true and I also think that Stephen Wilde is correct! I am trying hard to get the retailer who sold me a state-of the-art and expensive LCD tv last April to accept some responsibilty over the lack of HDCP - they are experts and would have known the situation. The tv is hardly "fit for the purpose" in terms of the sale of goods act, but how can I prove that it was mis-sold?

I also think that the industry has a cheek - we are (or will be) paying SKY for the right to view these encrypted transmissions - why can't we then be able to view them on whatever equipment we choose? Does this effectively mean that you would not be able to view a HD movie on Sky and be able to save this to a disc for later viewing? :rolleyes:

22. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think my DVI-RGBHV converter tells TW tvdrive and the DVD its a plasma tv,how could the keys be revocated? If they start messing with that half the TVs in the UK would not work,IMHO.