1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Native resolution

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by henry1234, Jan 20, 2003.

1. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Total beginer researching a bit about plasma's: I am thinking of getting a plasma as a second display device.

From the specs of the panasonic plasma's they have 852x480 pixels, this is spot on for the available resolution of an NTSC DVD so it should show reg 1 DVD's very well, without adding or taking away from the DVD's available resolution.

My question is what about PAL DVD's. The best pixel resolution needed 1024 x 576. Since plasma's have fixed pixels they would need to scale that resolution to the available 852x480 pixels.

Has anyone experience of artifacts and poorer image on PAL dvd's compared to NTSC? Also U.K satelite when processed to a progressive signal would still be 576p so how does this look?

On a brief technical lookin it seems that they are better suited to ntsc signals. This also doesn't make sense as HDTV is 720p. The Plasma's can only resolve 480p so they need to scale the HDTV back down to standard def of 480.

Can someone throw some light on the situation for me?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Henry: PAL is roughly 720 x 576.
    NTSC is 720 x 480
    ATSC has many standards...720P is 1280 x 720

All need to be scaled by a SD plasma. In order to work out what's happening you need to view them. Personally I think the main difference you're going to see with PAL and NTSC dvd's on one of these plasma's is more likely down to the difference in mastering quality of the discs. You are right though that they are closest suited to NTSC material.

Gordon

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Henry,

I have a Pansonic plasma model 4 (480p) and Denon 3800 progressive DVD player.

I see significantly more problems with PAL discs running on my plasma than I do with NTSC discs, the most annoying of which is colour solarisation on pan shots. When using a PAL disc, in either interlaced or progressive mode, a pan shot produces an effect similar to a 256 colour VGA display for the duration of the pan. Colour bands become *highly* visible, and this is especially noticeable on facial shots where smooth graduation of skintones is essential. When the pan shot ends the colour graduation once again becomes smooth.

I only have a few R2 PAL discs compared to over 400 R1, and the scaling errors introduced by the Panasonic have been enough to convince me to keep it that way. I see none of this solarisation on pan shots with an NTSC disc so to me the picture is actually better (despite the decreased resolution). This is definitely a scaling issue as I have also noticed my PAL PS2 displays the same issue in scrolling games, whereas both my NTSC XBox and Gamecube do not.

PS. I'm not sure if the newer Panasonic model 5's are better at this than my model 4, perhaps someone else can help.

4. henry1234

henry1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would a relatively cheap radeon equiped HCPC feeding 852x480 solve all those problems?

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    It'll have better de-interlacing and scaling but you are in for lots of other problems. Drive levels, gamma, reliability, control.

Not all HCPC's are the same, not even ones which all use the same parts......Good ones are great though.

Gordon

6. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've already mentioned this in an old post a while back disagreeing with Carl's view on NTSC vs PAL. I feel that I get better quality from PAL sources over NTSC, I don't see any of the colour banding that Carl mentions, I am using a Panasonic 5 series display. I feel that the motion of PAL material is a lot smoother, Pans etc are more Jerky with NTSC something to do with framerate conversion IIRC. So for me PAL is definately better, I recently compared the R1/R2 version of Star Wars EPII and the PAL version was MUCH better than the NTSC. Best thing to do is take some of your favourite disks to a good dealer for a demo.

John. :)

7. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to dig this thread up...

I have TW100 with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, which according to Gordon's response above is the resolution for 720p. If I therfore supply a 720p signal (via a BriteView for example), will this result in exact pixel mapping to the PJ (i.e. no scaling) ?

If the above is true, what happens for non-widescreen sources @ 720p (if indeed there is such a thing) ?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking into an external de-interlacer/scaler for Sky & XBox sources and I see little point in buying an external scaler unless I'm sure it negates the need for scaling to be done a second time in the PJ.