Native Resolution - VS 1920 x 1080?

rage99

Ex Member
Reaction score
Right. So i have my 360 outputting 1360 x 768 (Which is my TV's native resolution) because it will not work if i select 1920 x 1080 for some reason.

I am using a VGA-HD cable and i have two questions.

1. Is using Native resolution better than using 1920x1080

2. Should i be able to use 1920x1080 via VGA.

1. i'd agree with the above post generally yes. but it depends. if the source has a different resolution to the native resolution the device has to scale it first before it is output. So it depends which scaler is better. the 1 in the source or the 1 in the tv.
2 very few sets seem to accept a full hd signal via vga.

Ok qwerty, thanks.

I hear the Pioneers have good scalers though, yes ?

with any products its worth playing with resolutions to find what does give the best PQ but seeming as you can't run 1080 anyway I'm sure the native will most probably be it.

The 360 produces a very good & clean 1360x768 signal. Just make sure you set it to "expanded" colours

The 360 produces a very good & clean 1360x768 signal. Just make sure you set it to "expanded" colours

You can also use that setting over hdmi. Well i can on my screen anyway.

It is best to send the display native, this yields the best transfer as it minimizes the amount of processing done to the video signal.

For example, if you did send 1080 from the 360 to a lower res (1360x768) panel (if it accepted 1080), then the display has to re-scale this to it's own native resolution.

When you play game media which is 720P native, this will be upscaled by the 360 to 1080 and then scaled again, down by the display introducing more unnecessary processing, which reduces the optimum PQ.

You can also use that setting over hdmi. Well i can on my screen anyway.

For HDMI you want standard setting not expanded because HDMI is a Video reference input, VGA is an older PC type input that requires PC type reference and so best to send expanded (greyscale) for this type of connection.

For HDMI you want standard setting not expanded because HDMI is a Video reference input, VGA is an older PC type input that requires PC type reference and so best to send expanded (greyscale) for this type of connection.

Yes but it depends, I use expanded as I feed mine through a HDCP converter into a VGA input which expects PC levels. I agree if you have a native HDMI socket, I think you might get some black crushing if you use expanded.

Yes but it depends, I use expanded as I feed mine through a HDCP converter into a VGA input which expects PC levels. I agree if you have a native HDMI socket, I think you might get some black crushing if you use expanded.

Yes, indeed that would be correct using VGA and you will loose BTB and WTW information, if used incorrectly with HDMI.

If i had HDMI on my 360, believe me, i would be using it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom