native 720p or upscaled 1080i?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by lord_tink_fist, Sep 21, 2007.

1. lord_tink_fist

lord_tink_fist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I've got a bit of a newbie question. I recently bought the HD add on for the 360 but started to think after I read it's outputs. If the 360 can upscale DVD's to 1080i via the vga does it produce the same quality then as the HD add on does when it upscales the HDDVD's to 1080i? ie, was it worth buying the add on!!? I have a 32" 720p native TV with the 360 resolution set to 1360x768. I'm not too sure about resolutions etc and found the upsacling of DVD's to be pretty impressive but thought I'd get the HD add on to see what it was like. I haven't noticed a huge difference although it could be the set up!

2. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I've also got a 768 LCD and using the Xbox with VGA found HD-DVD to look better at 720P than SD DVD's upscaled via my standalone SD player or the Xbox. HD-DVD's are just better than SD. Having said that, I wasn't blown away with the improvement. Some displays can look better when fed with a 1080i image rather than 720 (even if 720 is the native) Just as some can look better via component than VGA and vis versa..My tosh LCD reccomend 1080I rather than 720P for example... However I've found it depends on the source.. And VGA works well.. You will also be future proofing for when you get a larger screen, a PJ perhaps?? :D Then you will notice an even bigger difference between SD and HD even with a native of 720 still...

I'm just now playing around with using 1080i via component rather than VGA at 720P in both the LCD and PJ and will let you know how I get on.. (can't do 1080P via VGA as neither will accept 1080P only i)

There are more advantages with HD than just resoloution... :smashin:

3. lord_tink_fist

lord_tink_fist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. So have I set my machine up wrong to display 720p then? I've got the 360 displaying 1360x768 via my VGA cable. Do I need to change any settings on the HD add on itself? I've been trying to find out these things but my limited knowledge has hindered me somewhat!

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,893
    When using VGA you can only output progressive so 1080i is impossible and an upscaled DVD might be the same res as an HD-DVD but its no where near the same quality.

Just make sure that your 360 is outputting a resolutions that is as close to your TV's native res as possible and you will be getting the best possible quality on your setup but remember the different reference levels will make a difference as will your TV's brightness/contrast/backlight settings.

5. lord_tink_fist

lord_tink_fist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Indy! From what you say my set up is right so I just need to be patient until a HDDVD come along that really shows what the machine is capable of - any suggestions? I've got the Ultiamte Matrix Collection and was watching the Animatrix episodes the other day which look pretty sweet!

6. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Lord_tink_fist

IMHO, the discs you have are good examples of what the HD formats have to offer. It is not the discs or players that need to change to take more advantage of HD, but rather your display.

You are using a 720p/768 native LCD with a screen size of 32". (as am I BTW ;) ) this is a basic TV ... The HD formats offer 1080P ... a 52" plasma running at 1080P would impress you far more than your current set-up. A 100" PJ image even more so. :D

You may be making the most of HD with what you have, but what you have could be vastly improved. It is your current screen that is the limiting factor not the HD formats.

Which IMO is a great thing, as you now know that you will see improvements as/when you carefully upgrade.. If you feel you want to stick with what you have and HD doesn't offer enough of an improvement on you kit, then fine, I can understand that. But this isn't a deficiency of HD. :smashin:

7. lord_tink_fist

lord_tink_fist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did want a bigger screen but I couldn't afford any bigger :( though I am hoping to upgrade in the future when I get some more cash and convince my girlfriend it's the right thing to do :D

I'm not unimpressed by the quality but I think I had too higher expectations. Games look outstanding on my tv and when I first watched an upscaled movie I was very impressed. I think I'm also a bit too critical since my girlfriend has noticed much more of a difference in quality than I have but then I play more HD games than she does.

I'm more into games than I am films so as long as they look good I'm happy - and Bioshock looks fantastic - and less then 2 days til Halo3 :clap:

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,893
    I thought it was worth mentioning that The Animatrix in the Ultimate Matix Collection is SD, not HD.