Nationwide FlexPlus fee increase

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's going up from £10 to £13 a month from the 21st September and they are removing the extended warranty protection, worldwide emergency card assistance and identity theft assistance. Pah.

Still worth it for the breakdown cover, mobile insurance and travel cover. Shame they have ditched extended warranty though.

Seriously considering ditching mine. I don't travel or have expensive phones so all that leaves is breakdown cover.

Still worth it for the breakdown cover, mobile insurance and travel cover. Shame they have ditched extended warranty though.

Is it - we pay under £100 for Europe wide breakdown cover and annual travel insurance for a family of six. Guess it depends on the level of cover.

Is it - we pay under £100 for Europe wide breakdown cover and annual travel insurance for a family of six. Guess it depends on the level of cover.
If that's worldwide including USA (the travel insurance, not the breakdown cover) I'm amazed.

They've also increased the travel insurance to cover eligible children travelling independently.
I still reckon it's worth that on its own.
They've also made some changed to the overdraft facility (not sure of the details as I rarely go overdrawn).

I've been looking at switching to the Halifax, £125 to switch, cheaper per month and pretty similar cover to Nationwide but also includes Home Emergency cover.

Barclays did the same thing. My Dad was paying £16.50 per month before he cancelled it. Originally it came with a whole load of benefits, but gradually they kept removing them until it really wasn't worth it.

They've also made some changed to the overdraft facility (not sure of the details as I rarely go overdrawn).

They've increased the fee-free arranged overdraft limit from £100 to £250 and also increased the mobile phone insurance to allow four claims in a 12 month period instead of two.

Seriously considering ditching mine. I don't travel or have expensive phones so all that leaves is breakdown cover.

You will get breakdown cover for less than £156 so yes probably worth you switching to a free account.

You will get breakdown cover for less than £156 so yes probably worth you switching to a free account.
Not quite that simple as the account also pays 3% on £2.5k, so that reduces it to £81. Which from memory is about the same as a full AA/RAC package with cash back. It would be more of a protest against yet another example of how their "Proud to be different" posteuring is complete BS.

That & the fact they cheated me & Dony out of referral payments, but that's another story.

Not quite that simple as the account also pays 3% on £2.5k, so that reduces it to £81. Which from memory is about the same as a full AA/RAC package with cash back. It would be more of a protest against yet another example of how their "Proud to be different" posteuring is complete BS.

That & the fact they cheated me & Dony out of referral payments, but that's another story.
What about a switch to a flex direct - was paying 5% on £2.5K (for 12 months)

Bank of Scotland Vantage account pays 2% up to £5000 and is free, as long as you pay in £1000 a month, stay in credit and have 2 direct debits.

Out of interest anyone needed to use Nationwide breakdown cover or claim on any of the insurances included on FlexPlus? What were they like to deal with?

My partner used the breakdown cover - the service was excellent.

Great call-handler - who actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

As with most (if not all) the "non-AA/RAC" services, a local agent turned up about an hours later. As the car was at home, the time wasn't an issue for us.

He tried hard to fix the problem (a damaged locking wheel nut on a rim with a punctured tyre), before ringing a couple of local tyre places on his mobile and then dropping me and the car to one to get the problem fixed.

Really couldn't fault the service.

We also both last year had to add extensions to our Travel Insurance policies due to separate health issues. Again, the call handler was superb and both cases dealt with promptly, efficiently and courteously. Both involved additional charges for extra cover, which were, we felt, reasonable.

Out of interest anyone needed to use Nationwide breakdown cover or claim on any of the insurances included on FlexPlus? What were they like to deal with?
Awful. I had an issue with car starting (turned out to be a faulty dash cluster)
Guy made no attempt to fix the issue, just dragged it onto a low loader (with the handbrake still on) and dumped it back at home. Had to have the handbrake cable replaced which they refused to compensate and obviously caused minor damage to tyre

I've the standard FlexDirect account and was thinking of upgrading to plus, mainly for the travel insurance and mobile insurance. We currently have 3 phones, but that'll be 4 very soon as my daughter will be getting her 1st phone before the new school year.
I've already paid out £70 for a phone repair for my son, and my wife is using a backup phone after the dog got a hold of her phone. Been told that'll cost £140 to repair.

Anyone know if I could get separate insurance cheaper than the £156 the upgrade would cost me?

@Dony I doubt you'd get worldwide travel cover for all 4 you (including independent travel) at that price, let alone the phone cover.

@Dony I doubt you'd get worldwide travel cover for all 4 you (including independent travel) at that price, let alone the phone cover.

There's 5 of us, but 4 with mobile phones.
The mobile cover is more important, most of my travel is covered by company insurance, holiday insurance costs us about £50 a yr currently.

Is that for adventure sports or some other high risk cover? Seems very high but we are pretty low risk.

Is that for adventure sports or some other high risk cover? Seems very high but we are pretty low risk.
Winter sports are covered. Addition "hazardous activities" are available (for a price).

Keep in mind it is worldwide, including the USA. In my experience, it's a good price - as it covers the whole family.

Last edited:
Winter sports are covered. Addition "hazardous activities" are available (for a price).

Keep in mind it is worldwide, including the USA. In my experience, it's a good price - as it covers the whole family.

I just bashed a family of six, worldwide cover, multi trip into Money Supermarket's comparer, and the top 40/50 quotes are sub £100. 12 are sub £60 (including Thomas Cook and Virgin).

I just bashed a family of six, worldwide cover, multi trip into Money Supermarket's comparer, and the top 40/50 quotes are sub £100. 12 are sub £60 (including Thomas Cook and Virgin).

Any chance you've checked mobile phone insurance for 4 phones?? :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom