Nationwide FlexAccount card reader - crap!

dr_mabuse

Damn these times we live in :mad:

I can't pay my bills through internet anymore as Nationwide have sent me a card reader that I need to put my Flex card in to generate a passcode that completes the transaction...

Except the bloody thing doesn't work!! :suicide:

I've only got one card and it promptly flashes up Wrong Card - got to the help site and - surprise, surprise - it says "This error means you are using the wrong card. Use your other Flex account card if you have one. If not then go to the link below to order a new card reader."

What a half assed effort. The page to order a new reader doesn't even work!! Probably crashed with how many people are trying to get useable machines.

I've been with NW since I was 17 and this is the first time I've ever found them lacking in service.

Anyone else been sent a card reader (and does the friggin thing work?)

dr_m

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
They should have sent you a new card around the same time as the reader. If they didn't then you need to order a new card rather than another card reader.

I've had mine around a month or so. It works but it's a complete PITA. I've just set up a BT to another Nationwide account holder. I had to use the reader to set up the payee & then use it again to make a payment. :thumbsdow

Hitby

I haven't been sent a card reader (am with HSBC) and to be honest, due to the amount of threads I've read on various forums about how spiffing they are, I don't think I want one either!

I know this doesn't help, but technology for the sake of technology, well...

pjclark1

Novice Member
The the numbers wear off the 4 buttons after about 4 weeks,
so everyone can have a good guess at your PIN as well.

Reepicheep

Novice Member
I've got a reader and tried it out and transfered some money between two of my Nationwide accounts - it worked but it took two attempts (not very clear how you enter a decimal point!).

To be honest I find it a pain in the bum - surely the Nationwide online banking site is secure enough without having to use one of these things. As I often access my account at work I now need to carry the blooming thing with me all the time.

I also have accounts at other banks - so if they introduce these things I assume that they won't be compatible (too much like common sense for the banks to set a standard :rolleyes:), so I will have a bag full of the blooming things round with me just to use certain functions online :(

nitelife

Novice Member
I've got a reader and tried it out and transfered some money between two of my Nationwide accounts - it worked but it took two attempts (not very clear how you enter a decimal point!).

To be honest I find it a pain in the bum - surely the Nationwide online banking site is secure enough without having to use one of these things. As I often access my account at work I now need to carry the blooming thing with me all the time.

I also have accounts at other banks - so if they introduce these things I assume that they won't be compatible (too much like common sense for the banks to set a standard :rolleyes:), so I will have a bag full of the blooming things round with me just to use certain functions online :(
They are, a colleague used my barclays one for his natwest account and it worked. Its the card and your pin that are key.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I've been with Nationwide for about 20 years, I haven't received one of these yet but my dad has. If I can't access my accounts when I want, where I want, I'll be moving my accounts elsewhere. I currently use any one of 3 computers to access internet banking - I'm not carrying some pointless contraption around with me. Absolutely ridiculous idea.

breakersrevenge

I got two of the dam things, Nationwide and Barclays.

May end up with four as I also have a Natwest and Lloyds:thumbsdow

My lad thought I got him a new DS when I got the Barclays reader this week!!!

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I got two of the dam things, Nationwide and Barclays.

May end up with four as I also have a Natwest and Lloyds:thumbsdow

My lad thought I got him a new DS when I got the Barclays reader this week!!!
The Nationwide website claims you can use any card reader from any UK Bank or Building Society?

They really haven't thought this through have they :rolleyes:

"You may not have to use your Card Reader to authorise all Internet Banking transactions, but we recommend you keep it with you as you could be asked to use it at any time".:suicide:

Prufrock

Novice Member
I've got one from Barclays and one from Nationwide. Haven't yet had to use the Nationwide one, but am using the Barclays one a lot. Not had a problem with it to be honest. I like the Barclays one because you don't need to turn it on and off - it automatically does it when you insert and remove the card. The Barclays one also seems to be a lot sturdier and better designed that the Nationwide one. Will be good if I can use it for my Nationwide account too.

avinitski

Novice Member
received mine recently too, bit of a pain now as my lady takes care of all the finances but now to make transaction she needs to pester me for my card, where as before she could make transactions any time, but now i have to be there or leave my card with her.

not ideal but better security i suppose.

stevemilw

Standard Member
yea they should have the option to choose not to use the card reader if you dont want to.
An option where you can change and the lock your settings to either use the card reader or not to use the card reader.
Its a matter of security, yes, but at the end of the day, if your computer is secure enough you shouldnt need one.
Anti-virus software with the ability to detect trojans are around, if for some reason it diasbles its self, proberly because youve downloaded a trojan, then your a chump for going to log onto your bank.
This is all its covering, the chumps of the nation, who are oblivious to security, and would click on any thing if they had the chance.

Codehead

I had an RSA token for Lloyds, that wasn't too bad. We've got a card reader from Smile, but haven't registered it yet. Trying to put it off as long as possible.

krish

Distinguished Member
@ stevemilw:
I'm sure the OP has resolved the matter, as it was over a year ago :D
- were you doing a Nationwide google? (and do you work for them?) ... as that's your first post here (welcome, btw :))

On the subject of Nationwide BS (both meanings ;)) - they really have become a giant piece of crap in recent years, a bank in all but name. As a good customer with FlexAccount, esavings, ISA, CC and mortgage I have really been let down by them over a number of things, and annoyed with them trying to sell crap bonds. Their scrapping of fee-free/commission-free foreign currency transactions (on debit and credit cards) has really annoyed me :(. Voted no to everything on their recent AGM voting form.

Last edited:

stevemilw

Standard Member
yea i didnt realise this post was over a year old, i googled the card reader to see what everyone else thought of it. Its a good idea on paper, but not when it come down to it, and rubbish execution on thier behalf

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
It is a PITA having to use the reader to make further payments to an account you've already set up, but at least they don't make you use the thing just to log in, as Barlclays do.

OT but one thing that really annoys me is the way they're dragging their feet over implementing Faster Payments.

With the launch of Faster Payments on 27th May 2008, participating UK banks and building societies have started sending and receiving electronic payments on the same day. We are currently rolling out this service to FlexAccount customers. We will notify you when you are able to use this facility. Nationwide has chosen to introduce the service gradually throughout 2008-2009 to ensure that we maintain the highest levels of [-]customer service[/-] profit.
:thumbsdow

I got one from natwest about 7 months ago, never bothered with it and they don't seem to force you to use it? :confused: never been asked or had to use mine.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
The nationwide one is only really used for bank transfers, it never asks for it when I'm paying for anything else, only when transfering cash to another bank account. So I don't find it as bigga problem as I thought I would.

However, seeing as I hardly ever use it, it's never anywhere near me when I do bloody need it!! :eek:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
It gets worse. They're now introducing a new security measure. From December you'll have to use the card reader just to log on to your account, not just for specific transactions. So even if I just want to move a tenner from my current account to my savings account (both owned by me), I need the card reader. Ridiculous - I'm changing banks, I'm not carrying that thing around with me everywhere.

Nationwide Building Society - Card Reader at sign on - Frequently asked questions - Welcome

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I'm changing banks, I'm not carrying that thing around with me everywhere.
I suspect that will only provide temporary relief until they're all doing it. Barclays have required the card reader just to log in for some time now.

Last edited:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
I suspect that will only provide temporary relief until they're all doing it. Barclays have required the card reader just to log in for some time now.
Actually yeah, you're probably right. Bloody annoying all the same though

qwerty321

Card readers are very annyoing, even though I dont have one.

However, having worked for a bank on the technical side, the amount of fraud that takes place and the methods used by the fraudsters are pretty scary! I spent some time with the security team when working and some of the things they showed me were very suprising!

May be a small inconvience but it saves you potential hassle and obviously saves the bank money in fraud payouts.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Have a barclays one and its a pain. Its for internet banking right? You've heard of the internet, the thing that lets you access information wherever you are in the world. Providing you're carrying this stupid little calculator thing around with you too :/

So I never use it unless I absolutely have to. I just ring them up instead.