National Geographic: Journey to the Edge of the Universe

chambeaj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Stunning documentary - one of the best I've seen on the subject of the makeup of the universe. Looked absolutely fantastic on National Geographic HD (fantastic CGI). Worth watching just for the visual treat imho - 2 hours of compelling viewing.

31st March 2009

National Geographic: Journey to the Edge of the Universe Blu-ray (2009)

National Geographic: Journey to the Edge of the…Amazon.co.uk: Artist Not Provided: DVD

Journey to the Edge of the Universe | National Geographic Channel
3198_front.jpg

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi, has this already been shown on National Geographic HD? I take it that it is being shown (again) on 31/03/09?

Cheers,

Martin.

It was shown on National Geographic HD over the christmas period (can't remember the exact date - although I've still got the recording). I think its since been repeated on the National Geographic SD channel. I'm sure it will be shown again on the HD channel at some point.

Amazon indicates the release date for the Blu-ray is March 31st 2009!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=3198

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...y_to_the_Edge_of_the_Universe_on_Blu-ray/2307

Tech details for the high-def version include a BD-25 single-layer presentation, with 1080p/VC-1 video and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround audio and subtitles (in English, French and Spanish).

Last edited:
It sounds like it would have made good viewing - I'll keep my eye open for a repeat and meantime have requested an email from Amazon when it is released on Blu-ray.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Martin.

According the to National Geographic channel UK website its on again on February 2nd 9:00pm - at least it is on the NG SD channel!! not sure about the next HD viewing. Can't seem to find the schedule for the HD version of the channel (which often differs from whats being shown on the SD channel).

Journey to the Edge of the Universe | Programmes | National Geographic Channel

There were a couple of points in the documentary where some compression artifacts (minor) appeared. However, the documentary still looked stunning on the HD channel and one would expect the Blu-ray to be superior given its higher video bit rate.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if the Blu-ray is region free ?

Spent a hour or so searching google and all indications are that this title is region 'A' only :(

I'm gutted, this is one of the most captivating documentries I've ever seen and was really looking forward to purchasing on Blu-ray.

I really do understand why Warner Bros would region lock this title given there are no indications of a UK/European release. Just plain stupidity on the studio's behalf :mad:

Last edited:
Nat Geo are not allowed to sell "Journey to the Edge of the Universe" outside of North America. The DVD a will be launched shortly and perhaps on Bluray if there is enough commercial interest

My wife and I have viewed it twice on SkyHD.It's quite good .We generally watch anything like that such as the Universe series.Makes fascinating viewing.I'm still trying to figure out which supernova is in my family tree.:D

I'm also very dissapointed that there is no Region B version and it appears that there won't be in the near future either.

please someone can confirm it is a region 1 blu ray
(sorry for the bad english)

what about subtitles ? english only ?

maybe you can help to find space dvd or blu ray with french sub, amazon is not really serious with sub or region informations

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I really wanted this, why does a docu have to be region locked, it's bloody stupid.:thumbsdow:mad:

There will be a Bluray release for all regions bat North America - Rocket Rights hold world rights except US for this show. Release date end June 2009

Hi

I received this on Blu ray (North American) today after ordering it from Axel music and im happy to report it plays on my UK PS3 so it is region free :smashin:

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming its region free. :thumbsup:

Hi

I received this on Blu ray (North American) today after ordering it from Axel music and im happy to report it plays on my UK PS3 so it is region free

Andy
On Amazon it says its Region 1 encoded. I'm not sure whether I should risk it. Are you sure your PS3 is not multi-region?

It seems there are no news on a UK blu-ray release.

Last edited:
On Amazon it says its Region 1 encoded. I'm not sure whether I should risk it. Are you sure your PS3 is not multi-region?

It seems there are no news on a UK blu-ray release.

My PS3 is definitely not region free... i got it from Argos on release day :)

I took the plunge and ordered it as it was a Warner Bros title and im pretty sure all of their Blu-ray discs have been region free to date.

Andy.

I was and am, still close to buying this and risking it, but if smartie says it's Ok then i will get round to giving it a go, when i find it priced right. :D

I will say though that blu-ray.com do not give ita very good review, saying that it is a shoddy transfer. any thoughts and can smartie give us his own thoughts. :lease:

I only got round to watching this fully at the weekend and i must admit i was rather underwhelmed by the transfer, i was hoping for a lot better.

I had only previously seen this in sd so i can't compare it to the Nat Geo HD transmission.

Im glad i bought it though as it really is a great docu.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom