National Car Rental - Any Good? Especially at JFK

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by DPinBucks, Feb 27, 2013.

1. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    I'm looking to rent a car at JFK for a few days, and for once rather fancy an SUV.

I usually go to Avis or Hertz, but they don't have any models which take my fancy, but National have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which does.

Does anyone have any experience of the company, especially at JFK?

I've done a dummy run booking, and they look OK, and quite good value.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,872
    How can you be certain what car you will get - with any company I mean, not just National.

I thought that when you go on their websites it states that car models described are an indication of the type/size/luxury but that the actual model provided many vary by country and location.

Don't think I have ever received the same model as on my online booking although the car recieved has always been equivalent or better.

In fact, I have just looked at the National site and it states 'Standard SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar'

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    Yes, you're dead right. In my experience though, I've usually got the actual model as advertised, but not always. However, at least they offer it; the others don't.

OK, I'll extend the query. Has anyone experienced:

Chevy Equinox;
    Ford Escape;
    Chevy Suburban;
    Ford Edge;

which Hertz & Avis do between them? What are they like?

They look OK, but don't really grab me.

Hertz also do this: Dodge Challenger R/T ISAR,

which I'd go for like a shot, but although it's advertised as four seats, I really wouldn't want to trust it for more than two, and there'll be three of us.

The ranges of alternative cars are just so boring. :boring:

4. Flipper

Flipper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    We hired a Grand Cherokee in Orlando a couple of years ago. It was a lovely thing to drive. Unfortunately it developed a problem with the remote locking in that the doors would not lock so we had to take it back.

The only thing they could offer us was some Hyundai piece of rubbish. The Mrs hated it so the next day we took that back to another depot and got another Cherokee. Peace restored :D

5. alan280170

alan280170
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,337
    For the last 4 years averaging about 150 days a year I rent a car in the US using car hire 3000, cheapest and you normally get what you want. :smashin:

6. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,959
    Very pleased with National. JFK rental went like a breeze.

I did what I always do, usually with Hertz or Avis up to now, which is to book in advance online in the UK. I buy an all-in package, including all the usual add-ons such as CDW, etc, at a fixed £ price. This tends to be good value, and cuts out all the hard sell hassle at the counter.

Getting to the rental site is easy at JFK. You get the free AirTrain from the terminal, which literally drops you at the National door. We got a choice of SUVs (I went for a Grand Cherokee, because I'd always fancied driving one), and were on our way within 20 minutes. Returning the car was just as slick.

In fact, the GC wasn't great. With hindsight I'd probably have been better off with a Ford Explorer. But heigh ho, that's not National's fault. There were at least 6 to choose from.

In fact, the overall experience was very similar to the Big Two. Prices were definitely cheaper, but not by a huge amount, so it's still best to shop around for whatever suits you at the time. But I'll definitely go for National again.

One thing at New York: We were offered a thing called EZPass for about $14. This is a radio device which gets you through all the tolls (and there are quite a few) more or less without stopping. It's very convenient. However, National were very vague about how it works. The charge is simply for the rental. You still pay full toll charges, which appear on your credit card quite a bit later. We had been led to believe it included a discount. However, we took it, and the £9 or so was (a) hardly worth arguing about, and (b) worth it anyway.

Hope this is of interest

7. sid809

sid809
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These all are good rental companies which provide good cars, you can check through website of rental companies that which vehicles are available for rent and also all the information regarding rent and other rules to rent the car..