NAT = strict?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by WelshBluebird, Sep 21, 2007.

1. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm a little confused here. When Live went down for maintenance just over a week ago, I remember reading people had trouble connecting to games because for some reason their NAT had set itself to strict.

Now, I noticed this myself. but it didn't affect me, because the CoD4 beta still worked for me (and since I hardly ever play over Live, I haven't tried any other games).

However, I tried to connect to a game of PGR3 tonight (MarkWWW's game), and it won't let me connect because of my settings. So I'm assuming this is because my NAT is set to strict?

My router (speedtouch 585) was already set to forward the ports Live needs, but I deleted the setting, and tried again. But it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

2. markwww673

markwww673

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Mines still set to open but I don't know about the other 6

Billymav had a similar problem.

Its not the Xbox though as its a router issue as the NAT settings are not conrolled by the xbox

Mark...

3. MST

MST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Up until yesterday I didn't think I had any problems with my NAT settings; recently I'd been unable to private chat with someone on my friends list, as he is the only person I bother to use private chat with I didn't really think anything of it. However, since joining the CoD4 Beta I had also noticed that he was unable to join any of the matches I was participating in, and vice versa.

Anyway, I checked my settings and sure enough my NAT was set to strict, after half an hour of using Google and fiddling with the port settings on my router (BT Home Hub) I found some instructions which simply said turn the router off and then back on, and sure enough it worked like a charm and changed the NAT from strict to open :D

4. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem for the last month or so. Simply couldn't figure out what it was. When i eventually did, it was simply unplugging my home hub before having the NAT settings to open.

Apparently it happens when BT do a update on the hub that the settings change to strict?

5. TEVEZ032

TEVEZ032
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    yeah apparently the home hub just needs a reboot...

My problem was that my talktalk smartax and Belkin router were 'over compicating' things...

I plugged a hub in-between so that the xbox could 'talk' directly to the modem and everying opened up just fine...

A small word of warning.. 'intelligent' modems going through 'intelligent' routers is generally NOT good for your NAT.... :D

g

6. adrian4408

adrian4408
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having the same problem with my ps3. I've got a belkin wireless router & that talk talk modem. What is this hub you've put in & how to I do it?
    :lease: