Nasty thoughts about upgrading my body

Paulie-W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:rotfl: Nice title eh :D

Anyway on a more serious note, i keep thinking about upgrading my D40 body, albeit if i`ve only had it since February. But and it`s a big but. Am i just getting a touch of upgraditus? It`s not as if i don`t like my D40, i do. But i keep looking and prices keep bloody coming down and, and and :suicide:

How long is a sensible time to wait before upgrading ones body?

You'll be after the Pamela Anderson model. Looks good . . feels great and an action that is . . ooh la la . . nice.

Are you staying with Nik or looking to diversify? Is there a budget? Must admit (branditis aside) some of the Sony bodies are coming down (A350 looks good) . . and if you know anyone in the USA, the A700 can be had for $700 from BestBuy with a 10% off coupon, though stocks are almost depleted now (in-store only).

I read good things about the Pentax K10D. But if you're a Nik man, then you probably know your brand better than anyone else.

EDIT: Should learn to read before typing. Body . . you must have lenses. Ignore post.

How long is a sensible time to wait before upgrading ones body?
Until you have the money and can justify getting another body that will be a significant upgrade?

Are there any particular features, or levels of performance that you think you're missing from the D40? Do you ever think "I could have captured a better picture if only my camera body did X"?

If not, then stick with your D40.

If there is something, then what other body are you looking at? D300? Or is that too much of a leap? D60? Doesn't seem much of an upgrade. The D90 announcement is strongly rumoured to be due June.

You'll be after the Pamela Anderson model. Looks good . . feels great and an action that is . . ooh la la . . nice.

Are you staying with Nik or looking to diversify? Is there a budget? Must admit (branditis aside) some of the Sony bodies are coming down (A350 looks good) . . and if you know anyone in the USA, the A700 can be had for $700 from BestBuy with a 10% off coupon, though stocks are almost depleted now (in-store only).

I read good things about the Pentax K10D. But if you're a Nik man, then you probably know your brand better than anyone else.

EDIT: Should learn to read before typing. Body . . you must have lenses. Ignore post.

:rotfl:

Couldn`t ignore it mate. But yeah i do have lenses and another coming tomorrow, so i will be sticking with Nik.

Until you have the money and can justify getting another body that will be a significant upgrade?

Thanks

Are there any particular features, or levels of performance that you think you're missing from the D40? Do you ever think "I could have captured a better picture if only my camera body did X"?

If not, then stick with your D40.

None that i can really think of, so thanks again.

If there is something, then what other body are you looking at? D300? Or is that too much of a leap? D60? Doesn't seem much of an upgrade. The D90 announcement is strongly rumoured to be due June.

I have been looking at D80`s. I know, relatively old technology now but the prices are pretty good (i think). Is the last of a good thing better than the first of a new one?

Why not just use a gym?..much cheaper, and healthier too:rotfl:

The D90 should be announced in June. - According to thom
The Buzz
Apr 19--Current rumors out of Japan have Nikon introducing the D90, D3x, plus lenses, in the second week of June. I'm tightening my D90 (or whatever they decide to call it) prediction date to between May 12th and June 16th.

The D90 should be announced in June. - According to thom

Thanks for that link mate. Reading the D80 review has almost put me off. I guess going from a 40 to the 80 isn`t such a big step. I wonder what the 90 will bring.

Thanks for that link mate. Reading the D80 review has almost put me off. I guess going from a 40 to the 80 isn`t such a big step. I wonder what the 90 will bring.
I have been containing my upgrade bug from a D50. The D80 didn't seem worthwhile, and I don't want a camera as big as a D300. I'm hoping the D90 has some of the 300 features (great high ISO performance), and a brighter viewfinder than the 50. That might tempt me to upgrade.

i was seriously considering this too dude but think im going to postpone it until i feel more comfortable with the d40.

maybe give it few months with the impressive collection of lenses you have acquired in a short few months and see how you feel after summer?!

my uncle keeps telling me the d80 is a great camera but i really think for it to be a worthwhile upgrade your looking at the d200 or d300.

You`re probably right, in so much that i should wait a bit. The 2 & 300 just seem a bit on the big side to me now though, and the 3 is way, way off my budget. Bring on the 90 reviews :D Then maybe Christmas or something like that when all the bugs have been ironed out etc.

I have a D40 and was one click away from buying a D200 just before Christmas. I chickened out and decided to buy glass instead.

What benefits would a new body give to you that better glass wouldn't?

If I do upgrade it will be for the D300 and no less.

I was in the same situation, stick with the D40 and just get some good glass.I think if you want a worthwhile upgrade the D300 would be the best choice.

Ahhhh someone else wanting to move over to Canon :devil:

This DSLR lark is an expensive hobby!

Only you can decide if you need to upgrade. Are there things that the D40 doesn't do that you need it to do etc?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom