1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nasty PSP scratches and dust dots?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by artois, Mar 13, 2005.

1. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hey all,

Posted this in the consoles section then realised most PSP chat is in here.

Have been reading alot on the web about the plastic used for the psp screen. I got mines from japan the other day (sharp) screen and have noticed what I think is a tiny imperfection the size of a dot on the bottom left of the screen.

I dont think its a dead pixel as I have created jpegs of all the colours of the rainbow and have tested them out in the psp photo mode-it does not change colour or remain one colour like I have read about other peoples dead pixels. However, on lighter colours depending on the way you look at it it does appear to show the tiny area a little lighter. I think it is hjust a refraction of the light through the scratched plastic that is causing this.

Does anyone have the same issue or know of anything which can be used to remove these scratches from the psp?

Its tiny & not really noticable but onece you know its there you can help but look for it.

As far as I can see the lcd its self is perfect and its probably a small scratch although I may be wrong and this is a dead pixel?

This is gonna bug me untill I know its not the lcd as I cant return it if it is, due to it being under japanese warranty. I would really appreciate any input you may have.

Cheers

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If you read around the screen problems are all too common with the PSP's right now. It's also one of the downsides of importing a unit :(

3. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i think you are stuck

maybe you can return it, or flog it to someone unsuspecting on ebay and buy a new one?

lets us know if you get and solutions

4. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    This appears to be a problem with the screen shield, not the actual lcd itself. I have just compared mine with a psp riddled with dead pixels and thankfully my lcd is mint.

No offence dude but I dont see this as a downside to importing a psp as I would have ended up with a lower quality screen if I waited for the us or uk release. As you know psps are now being made in china with lower quality (not rubbish) components. So in actual fact the original japanese made psp (Sharp screen not samsung) is made of a higher quality than you can expect from the consoles currently being manufactured in china for the american and uk release. If you want a psp I can only suggest that you try and get one of the original japanese consoles. They are going like hot cakes and production in japan is ceasing so even paying a little over the odds for one in my opinion is well worth it.

Its easy for me to say get a japanese one as I was lucky and picked up one of the original japanese value packs with ridge racer, a usb charger, usb lead, screen protector and convertor software for £210 including postage. Thats what you would expect to pay for a uk one with one game when it is released here. I would pay £300 for a psp they are amazing!!!!

As far as the screen itself goes I have not found a solution to the problem of scratch marks. No one else seems to have any solutions either but I am a perfectionist and can easily accept that the screen I have is 99% perfect bar a couple of tiny scratches ( the lcd is 100%) thats the main thing. You can not see the scratches at all without intensly looking for them and even then they only show at certain angles (mainly when off so doesnt matter).

So to stick to the topic, if anyone does have any suggestions it sounds like there are a few people huckled with their psp screens so any input would go down a treat I'm sure.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The problem with an imported unit is you can't take it back readily enough.

If you wait for the UK one then taking it back to place like Argos is a painless event.

To get rid of the dust you'll have to open up your PSP and use an airduster. It can be done. Best of luck.

6. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for the advice ekko star.

Luckily I was just being overly paranoid about my brand new psp. Now that I have fitted my screen protector (arrived today) you cant even see that there are any marks on the screen at all. Glad I dont have to risk opening it.

7. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got my psp today, and i have a small peice of dust resting inside the screen.
    I know you can remove the screen, but i was wondering if there are any safe guides since there are a few screws inside that i dont want to undo incase it unscrews the buttons.
    Plus there are warranty voiding stickers and i dont want to break these if i can help it.

8. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I heard from a good source, that the Jap machines are exactly the same as the US machines, as they just put on different firmware depending on what market (JP/US) it`s going to, and all this screen quality talk was/and is just a myth.

Spoony.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Can you confirm that please with any links ? :confused:

10. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    This is taken from another forum, and as you can see, he`s had a few through his hands.

QUOTE:
    The US machines have the same panel in as the most recent jap machines (samsung) i have had 10 US value packs now and 3 have suffered from dead pixels..

I have also sold over 100 JAP value packs and approx 15 unit had 1 or 2 dead pixels on them, so i don't think there is no difference between them in quality control as they both come off the same production line and they only become US or JAP depending on where the biggest demand is for them at that time by the firmware that is loaded. END QUOTE:

Spoony.

11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    The original Jap ones had Sharp manufactured screens. The later models now have a cheaper Samsung version. So it appears it is not a myth, there was a difference in screens..... :confused:

12. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i know a screen protector will protect the screen
    but it feels verry sturdy is this just 2 stop scratches on the screen
    and does the screen look ok with the screen protector on it
    jim

13. artois

artois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The screen protector is pretty sturdy but thats what u want in a protector of course. You cant really notice any difference at all with the protectors if you apply them without any air bubbles. Mines looks just as good I feel. I would highly recommend it as you wouldnt want a big gash on your lovely new psp. Another bonus is that some reason it doesnt attract as much dust to the screen either so you dont kneed to obsess over wiping it clean.

14. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,367
    I have had both a JPN and US PSP and played the same game on both of them and there really is no difference at all in picture quality, both gave nice sharp images with good colour so there is no reason to pick a JPN PSP over a US PSP just because it has a Sharp LCD.