Nasty Bug on Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jon Weaver, May 22, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    I have encounted something that you all should be aware off.

Last week I didn't watch much TV had the hard-drive almost full.

On Monday night, I recorded 'Junkyard Wars' at 8pm, but as I love the program (I know its sad) immediatly sat down to watch it.

At the end, I went to delete it, but noticed that it had 'FAILED'. This surprised me as although my hard-drive was almost full, I know I still had about 10% free.

It was also strange, as I had just watched the entire recording and it was all there, so I don't see how it could have 'FAILED'.

However, when I pressed 'i' the reason was clear. It said "Out Of Space".

Then I noticed something horrible.. All my recordings were gone.. EVERY ONE of them.. All 10 hours+ had vanished!

I checked any my 'Disk Management' was set to Automatic.. But this shouldn't be possible.

A few days later, I have found other users who had similar problems and we have found out why.

Apparantly, the EPG data for Mondays "Junkyard Wars" was bad.. It though that the start was 8pm on Monday, but the end was 9pm TUESDAY.

This means that Sky+ thought that the show was 25 hours long.. As soon as it started recording it made a decision that it needed space.. 25 hours of space and deleted every recording that hadn't been set to 'keep' (in my case EVERYTHING).

Then when the program finished on time, the recording was classed as 'FAILED' as Sky+ assume that it ran out space.

This is a really nasty bug and has really p**Sed me off, as I have lost a hard-drive full of programs that I wanted (and payed) to watch.

Needless to say, and strongly wored mail has been sent to Sky.

The solution to this is to ensure that your 'Disk Management' is set to 'WARNING' or 'MANUAL'.. For your own sake, don't leave it set to 'Automatic'

Its a well known fact that the EPG data is unreliable right now.. But I never guessed that 'bad' EGP info could cause this kind of problem!

I hope this helps.

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the best thing is to have it set to manual anyway . i would rather have the decision of what i'm gona wipe to make space .

i don't like giving this sort of choice to the box . it dos'nt know what i would and would not rather have. only i know that

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry to hear this happened.
    Good advice to set the Disc Management to manual.
    Not much consolation but when I complained to Sky Customer Services/Sky Technical about the EPG problems I was refunded £10 to my account for April and May.
    Skyplus+ is worrying, at the moment I have more faith in my Tivo which I thought would be retired to another room.

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Jon, this is bad news :( Don't forget that it's best to mark stuff you want to keep with err, "Keep" as soon as the're recorded. I do this with rarely shown films, and leave the timeshifted stuff unmarked.

The advantages of this is that epg errors wont (ok, shouldn't!) delete stuff I don't want it to, whatever the disk management mode is set too. Also when I want to delete timeshifts, a lingering keypress wont delete the one above - which it has already :rolleyes: This is because stuff marked keep needs an additional confirmation press to zap it.

5. trfmnd

trfmnd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two things spring to mind:

Firstly on a non Sky channel it's not Sky's fault that the epg info was wrong.

Secondly, as the hd runs out it's trying to record non contiguously in any space it can find and may consequently corrupt the FAT.

Follow other's advice on this thread and switch to manual.

cheers
    Tim

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    I want to point out that the purpose of my original post was to point out to people to check that their box isn't in 'Automatic' mode.

I realise why this happened and understand that its my fault, but NOTHING like this should be possible.

I wonder how many 1000s of users out there still have their 'Disk Management' in factory default (automatic) mode and could experience this problem.

To be honest, I am 99% sure that I changed this setting on the first day I got Sky+.. I wonder if this in itself is another bug (i.e the settings go back to default).

Tim, I completely disagree with you.. How can it be right that illegal EPG info from a non-Sky channel has the ability to do this.. Its shouldn't be possible.

I am mighty p**sed of about this, but all I got from Sky (Nick James, Head of New Product Development) was an ass-covering defensive responce.

7. trfmnd

trfmnd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITV, C4,C5 and BBC are responsible for inputting their own schedules to the epg, and changing them. It isn't Sky's fault if they provide the wrong data. Crap in, crap out.

The "bug" you refer to is strictly speaking not a bug but a "feature" !!! Albeit poorly implemented...

Now to agree with you, I think that Sky+ is clearly a Sky product and therefore they should be taking extra steps to ensure that it does what it says on the tin. Such steps could include a checking procedure at Sky before upload to transmission for the epg and a software upgrade to improve the disk-management-user-friendliness.

Regards,
    Tim

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,335
    As Sky are the people receiving the income from sky+ they have to take ultimate responsibility for the performance of both the EPG and the hardware (in my opinion!)