• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question NAS with PLEX

markgray86

Established Member
Currently have PLEX media server on my laptop with my films stored on it. Running out of space on it, so wanting to get a NAS. My friend has a Synology DS414 4 bay NAS which he says is good but he doesn't use PLEX. I am wondering with this or a newer DS416 work with PLEX, also will the NAS need to transcode the videos, they are mainly mkv. I would like the use my Samsung TV to watch and also have a Amazon fire stick upstairs and iPads aswell.

I would be looking to get a 4tb WD Red hard drive then when funds are available and when needed to add another hard drive.

Any information will be hugely appreciated

bubblegum57

Prominent Member
Currently have PLEX media server on my laptop with my films stored on it. Running out of space on it, so wanting to get a NAS. My friend has a Synology DS414 4 bay NAS which he says is good but he doesn't use PLEX. I am wondering with this or a newer DS416 work with PLEX, also will the NAS need to transcode the videos, they are mainly mkv. I would like the use my Samsung TV to watch and also have a Amazon fire stick upstairs and iPads aswell.

I would be looking to get a 4tb WD Red hard drive then when funds are available and when needed to add another hard drive.

Any information will be hugely appreciated

Plex NAS Compatibility

I have a DS414 & Samsung Tv with plex, but I don't really use plex, I have a nuc. However synology has videostation, & if you have a samsung tv newer than 2011, that will work.

The compatability list above says the 414 cannot transcode. but from what I understand, if the movies can be played on the tv, then the nas doesn't necessarily need to transcode. The 416 doesn't seem to be on the list.

the ds415 play might be a better bet, it has a HDMI connection so I can be connected directly to a tv, I think the media playback is better.

markgray86

Established Member
Thanks for the info, if there is a chance that it will not transcode things. Maybe I could go down the building my own server, which would run PLEX and be able to transcode. Could anyone give me some advise on where to start, what sort of spec I would need and the price I would be looking at?

I have a windows 7 disk and would again start with a 4 tb hard drive

crazylegz

Novice Member
You could always go down the route I took depending on what you want, I've tried a few options but the one I use for family and friends is I have 2 dedicated servers of different speeds offsite both running various flavours of linux, quite simple to setup plex on them everything has been encoded to mp4 so no transcoding needed anymore for the roku's, kodi boxes, tv's, phones, tablets and consoles we use, all the media can be accessed 24/7 with no need for anything being left on, only needed 100mb up and down with the server's a gig connection is overkill for my need's and I've never had a day offline or any problem's, been running them like this close on 2 year's now.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom