NAS Upgrade - HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by SatDude, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi all,

I want to upgrade from a 1 bay NAS (QNAP TS119) to a 2 bay NAS, and I'm considering the Netgear RNDU2120 ReadyNAS Ultra 2TB 2-bay as a replacement.

My concern is that I've had my NAS for quite a while now and it's been very good, frequent software updates from QNAP, loads of apps to install, transmission, ect. and i'm not sure what to expect from Netgear. :(

I've had a Netgear Stora before my TS119 and it wasn't great. I've also looked at the Qnap Ts-219p Ii 2 Bay Nas Enclosure but I would have to buy new drives and it's quite expensive...

What do you think?? Any Netgear owners around??

2. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    my advise would be to stick with Qnap , I have a TS-119 , upgraded last year from s TS-109 . I find it is rock solid steady , quite fast and very flexible.
    I have a readnas at work , and find it infuriating to use , very slow and no where near as versitile . Jusy my opinion mind , I am sure many people will not agree .:thumbsup:

3. thebiznes

thebiznes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Keep the Qnap and maybe look into the HP Microserver as main backup storage.

That's what I have done I have the 109 as main download, media storage of current stuff, and have the microserver for all the rest. The microserver is rarely on just for backups or when I need the extra space. One thing I found though the 109 and I think 119 have a limit of 2tb drives as I have tried a 3tb with no luck.

Looking at the Netgear and at that price. The HP Microserver is a no brainer given the price with £100 cashback of it too. oh didn't notice that it does come with 2tb drive fitted so not as bad as I thought, but I would really consider the HP.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    wilfy, do you have an ultra at work? I've read some bad reviews of the old ready nas but nothing on this new model.

5. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That's the thing with the Netgear, it comes with a 2TB drive. And as for the QNAP, i'm selling it to pay for the upgrade so can't keep it.

6. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No , it is not an ultra , so i cannot really comment on its performance . I am considering upgrading my Qnap to a 4 bay now to centralise all of my storage as i have 2 itunes libraries , movies , and a flac library for my Sonos system .

7. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I placed an order with ebuyer for the Netgear and then started reading the HP Microserver thread and cancelled it!

Not sure now, haven't finished reading yet.... my fear is that it will require time to setup the HP and I might not have it! 2 bay is enough for me at the moment but it does sound good!

8. wilfy

wilfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I thought about one of those as the flexibility for urgrades is very good , but i couldn't decide which os would be best , didn't really want WHS as i am trying to avoid Windows like the plague due the problems i had getting my HTPC to work . I have no real knowlege of any other OS or thevtime to learn so i stuck with Qnap . It depends on the main use for the nas , for me it is for serving up music to my multiroom music system , for this the qnap turned out to be the most efficient .

9. SatDude

SatDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I will use the nas for:

Backup - Mac via timemachine and window 7 laptop (Not sure how)
    Storing my photos, video, music and sharing with a mac, ipad, iphone, W7 laptop, Motorola xoom, ipod touch
    Torrent via Transmission
    Webspace for friends and family

And that's it really, I have installed a bunch of apps on my QNAP but mainly just to test or have a go at… will I be able to do that on the HP?