NAS to Smart TV's?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by lersince1991, Jul 31, 2012.

1. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I'm thinking about centralising my storage for computers but also would be really nice if I could access the media from them over the network to my Samsung TV rather than unplugging it from my laptop and into my TV's USB every time I need to add a new movie or so.

What ways can I serve the media up to the TV's to play the Full HD files with?
    What are the particular requirements for the TV's and for the NAS or networked disk some other way. I'm considering a NAS or maybe a mac mini with external hard drives attached being shared over network?

2. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    You need a media player that connects to the TV and is able to view files over a network. Some TVs have built in players using DLNA so as long as your NAS supports DLNA you're good to go. Other methods are media players that can view network shares (SMB or CICS) where you 'share' a folder on the NAS with your films/TV/music and the media player can see this share.

Firstly you need to check if your TV can connect to a network and has a built in player.

3. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well at the moment it plays a lot of files over USB but we could consider buying a new tv in a year or so as well.

My tv at the moment is a Samsung c580 I think. It does have a LAN connection but it is not a smart tv. I believe the LAN might be for dlna.

So the technology has been properly implemented built into tvs? Does is work well or is it still "getting there".

Also is there something I can try to stream media over a network to the tv from
    My mac or pc? Just to test the network speed as my N router might not be fast enough. And see of the tv works well using dlna?

Thanks!

4. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also would this work via an Xbox in another room also?

5. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Looks like the has allshare powered by DLNA. So how could I give this a go via my mac? :)

6. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    I have a Samsung C650. Also a Synology 212j. You can install a serviio package onto the nas & play on the TV. But, I gave up with it, can't get fanart to show. But it does transcode on the fly.

If you go for some other NAS's, you can install plex on the NAS itself.
    Plex has the ability to show cover art etc, note the 212j doesn't support plex.

Synology are updating the DSM, so they are bringing out Videostation. At the moment Media server plays a lot, but I hope Video station is better.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    The xbox will stream no bother.

Get a NAS. It has an ethernet connection & hooks up to the router and is wireless then.

Everything will then play off it

8. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks,

So what am I specifically looking for on the NAS specs? Just DNLA compatible? Sounds simple but surely it won't be!

What are THE best products for this use?

9. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    we could be here arguing all day about whats best ...............

this is what I have

WD My Book Live Personal Cloud Storage 2 TB Network Attached Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories my NAS which plugs into my router .

I then run pre made shielded cable from my router to the back of the Tv

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shielded-Ne...1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1343761367&sr=1-6

The cable is good and if I have to run behind walls etc , I just buy a wall socket and blank faceplate and drill a hole big enough for the cable to go through

Now my TV , xbox, blu rayplayer etc are all competing for the ethernet so I use plug and play unmanned switches to give more ports at tv

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-GS1...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1343761572&sr=1-1

I use 2 metre Cat 6 cables to keep my gigabit speeds up to my devices

2M Ethernet Cable / CAT6 Network Lead / Shielded: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    You could always just use a DLNA server installed on your Mac and stream content to your TV over a wired LAN connection. PS3 Media Server is a good option. As well as being free it can transcode formats your TV cannot handle to formats it can. A low end NAS box will not have the processing power or onboard memory to facilitate transcoding.

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org

Maybe have a play with PS3 Media Server and your Mac before commiting yourself to the purchase of a NAS?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll have a go tonight with my mac, can that ps3 software stream to my Xbox?

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    Yes, it can facilitate uPnP and DLNA streaming to just about any capable device and there is an XBox 360 configurations file already installed within the app.

13. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Game consoles are more like multi media centres !

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    and?

The XBox renders media in the same way as the TV's inbuilt rendering capabilities. The XBox may have superior rendering abilities to those of the TV and may offer support for formats the TV cannot handle? Neither a NAS nor DLNA/uPnP server can render the files being served so a render solution will be required, be it the TV, the XBox or some other device.

I believe lersince1991 is interested in serving files to his XBox as well as his TV and isn't enquiring about storing his media on the XBox in order to use it as a server?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Interesting comment, can you use the Xbox to make a USB hard drive shared wireless to the tv to stream? Just a thought.

The tv can play pretty much any file except a few. The newest Samsung tvs pretty much play anything and are brilliant. The Xbox though does not support a lot of formats I use in particular MKV packages.

16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    I'd leave the XBox out of the equation then because you'd not be able to play the formats it cannot render if the files are directly accessed by it on an attached HD.

It will be better to use a direct LAN connection from either a NAS or computer on your LAN to the TV if the TV has the greater rendering abilities.

17. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    the Xbox would have to be switched ON for the Tv to see the USB hard drive

Get a NAS and it plugs into the router. Its always on & no need for any other devices running to access the files

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  18. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just a thought as I already have Plex installed and setup, can this stream media from my laptop to TV and Xbox?

Will just save setting PS3 Streaming software up and make sure its ok before committing to a NAS

19. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    you dont need plex

On your xbox press the BIG MIDDLE X on the controller , not the Blue one

Scroll right to MEDIA , select VIDEO or MUSIC .

The xbox now scans your network . IF your PC is switched on it will see it & select your PC. Just select a song or video and it will play it

Your TV works in the same way.

All your devices will see the NAS as a computer and works exactly as above

AS discussed before , if you find the xbox or TV wont play your Video files , then go down the Plex route. Keep it real simple just now to get going !

I have converted my video files to AVi or Divx so everything can play the files with a free bit of software called freemake.com.

20. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,058
    He hasn't got a NAS and is wanting to first try a DLNA server directly from his Mac computer to his TV before committing himself to the purchase of a NAS. He is asking if Plex will facilitate this.

He cannot instigate DLNA and uPnP services from his Mac without a third party DLNA server such as Twonky or PS3 Media Server installed on his Mac.

I think Plex is reliant on there being a Plex client or Plex enabled device present. If the TV or other devices have the client installed then you should be able to serve content via the Plex server on your computer to such devices. Samsung and LG now ship many of their smart TVs with the PLex client installed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  21. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Gave it a go since I was already using the plex media player on my mac setup. Moved things around so my router is with the tv and used an airport express for the old xbox and printer. TV streaming was awful quality and a little slow even when hard wired, although I have not tried it with the mac hard wired as well since it uses a large external hard drive and couldn't be bothered to move it and would never hard wire it anyway. A NAS may be ok hard wired though, might as well give the mac try hard wired though to test that. Liked how the Interface is the same as if the device was connected, very easy. Tv currently has a large hard drive attached which is brilliant apart from the downside of copying new content to this.

The Xbox however streamed very well indeed fully over wifi, a few stutters at the start but easily solved by pausing for 5 mins before watching a film. Quality is as it should be. The tv/plex seems to changed the video quality by downscaling it and compressing it though. However the main tv may be better and reveal more of te bad quality but it seems the streamer built in isn't as good as the xbox a.

Nice to get my iTunes on the box as well.

So all in all a NAS could work very well indeed to centralise things and create a more flexible setup So we can watch media in all rooms rather than just whats connected to the tv/mac/Xbox directly.

Both play all the files correctly, I wasn't aware that plex transcoded on the fly though so am unsure whether it's plex serving and transcoding or that te Xbox can actually play much more files maybe since an update. I'm using latest updates on old Xbox (and new in another room) with MKV packaged full hd files about 10gb per film.

22. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Does your xbox stream from the Mac ??

The xbox wont play MKV so maybe the plex decoding it.

The old xbox needs OPTIONAL MEDIA UPDATE found in games downloads A to Z

23. lersince1991

lersince1991

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeh both xbox e's stream very well from the ma running plex media server. Even MKV so either something has updated their file capability or plex is decoding it. Quality on the Xbox is much better than from the tvs built in Allshare facility which is a shame as its unusable but as noted previous post it might be compressing it because of the wifi mac bottleneck.

I will check the media update but pretty sure we got that ages ago when we were playing direct from a hard drive. But thanks and I will checks