Nas to Media Player

waynebrady

Standard Member
Reaction score
Alright Guys
Being a bit new to the NAS game im looking at a basic setup for the old front room but after trawling through the internet and coming up with a basic setup i was knocked back a bit with a review on the NAS im after, cut a long story short here is the basic im looking at which consists of a Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb model LS-CH2.0TL , also a Western Digital TV Live HD Media Player.

My plan was to have Ethernet from router to NAS, USB from NAS to media player and HDMI from media player to TV, but as already mentioned my knock back was this post for the Buffalo "you CANNOT use this device as a external h'drive via the USB port":confused:

Am i right in assuming that the plan i had will not work? or can anyone confirm that the guy who written it had got it round his neck and is all a big mistake?
If it is likely it will not work can anyone recommend a good "but cheap:blush:" DNLA media player if this route has to be taken...
Any help would be much appreciated

Sorry the other NAS i was looking at was the ZyXEL NSA310 2TB on Ebuyer

My plan was to have Ethernet from router to NAS, USB from NAS to media player and HDMI from media player to TV, but as already mentioned my knock back was this post for the Buffalo "you CANNOT use this device as a external h'drive via the USB port

Thats true , you cant , but why would you need too ?

The idea with a nas is that you connect up to the media player via ethernet.

The WDTV live works flawlessly connected to a nas via ethernet , no need for USB at all.

Exactly. The entire point of a NETWORK Media Player and NETWORK Attached Storage (NAS) is they work, and are connected, over the NETWORK ;)

The USB slot on the back of the Buffalo is for Direct Copy [copying stuff from an external flash drive or hard drive to the NAS internal drive(s)]

So ethernet from router to drive..ALSO..ethernet from router to media player....is that right? so its doubling back on its self?..kind of:)
cheers guys

So ethernet from router to drive..ALSO..ethernet from router to media player....is that right?
Yep :smashin:
The router just acts as a hub so all connected devices can talk to each other. Also you will then be able to get firmware updates for the WDTV directly off the internet and download cover art etc (assuming you get the new WDTV Live SMP) for your films.

Mark.

Yes. The router is the hub - everything connects to it and it directs all the traffic.

Thanks guys, much appreciated
I know im proberly on the border line with this post, should be else where i know but what media player would any of you recommend?, the WD live i was after has suddenly jumped to over £100, well the ones in stock anyhow:thumbsdow, the second hand ones are not far off, im mostly playing AVI, the odd MKV, ive also seen a Sumvision Cyclone MKV but not sure about these either, reviews vary a hell of a lot across both units..or maybe if there are any others that fit the bill?
Thanks All

Sumvision media players are cheap, but they are bottom of the pile as far as features, capabilities & support are concerned. If that is all you can afford then they are ok as an entry level media player, but I wouldn't recommend them specifically.
The WDTV Live range of media players are fairly cheap for what they can do. They are well supported by both WD and a large user community. As a first step into media players I would say these are a very good option.

I suggest you look in the dedicated area of the forum for media players as there are several threads on the WDTV's along with plenty of info on the hundreds of other players out there - Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums.com - UK Online

Mark.

Cheers Mark
Went for the WESTERN DIGITAL WDBGXT0000NBK WD TV Live Streaming Media Player in the end
Thanks All

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom