• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NAS Streaming and (Android) control

debontehond

Standard Member
Hi,

I want to purchase a Synology DS211J NAS for storing and serving my files. I would like to use a streamer to play directly from the NAS on my stereo Amp. This requires the streamer to connect to the NAS and play the files using an analog stereo output. I already own an PS3 for video streaming, so this device will be dedicated for audio use. I am looking for good quality audio. My collection consists mainly of MP3 files, but I want to expand this with lossless audio over time.

Since I have an Android smartphone I would like to control the audio using my phone. Such a setup enables me to play without using a PC or Mac. The Android support provides for a good interface. I am considering getting an Android Tablet later on for even more control.

Now what streaming devices are available? Obviously the Sonos springs to mind and the ZP90 zoneplayer will do just what I want. But it is quite expensive in my view.

Popcorn also has Android plugins on networkedmediatank.com. But this is not native Android support. And I don't know how good the DAC is and therefore audio quality is. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
If the ZP90 is at the upper end of your budget, then your choice is between the Squeezebox Touch and ZP90. Both have a controller app for Android, can use that NAS and will grow to multi-room systems.

The multi-media players have rubbish UI for music and questionable DACs

Last edited:

debontehond

Standard Member
It is really not a budget question, but since I will be streaming MP3 mostly I do not see the benefit of Arcam FMJ quality.

I am more than willing to stretch the budget if a device brings either great functionality or quality. But I do realise the limitations of the quality of my current Mp3 collection. The devices can be hooked up to a DAC for more HiFi quality.

What would you suggest if I were to spend more?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom