NAS STORAGE FOR MAC...can anyone help??

Hackers13

Standard Member
Hi all, decided to join a forum as I'm finding it extremely difficult to find out a few answers!!!! I recently bought a mac, and uses time machine, it now filled to the brim as I'm using an old western digital my book 500gb, I was looking at buying a much larger version to back up my fles etc, however someone mentioned about nas drives and how great they are? My questions are

Can I access it for music etc if I'm out an about.
Can I keep it well away from the computer, incase or fire, or burglary etc.
Do they all mirror data when backed up.

Im very fortunate to have a neighbour that allows me to use they're Internet wirelesley, but I would be taken the royal **** if I said oh can I plug in my storage device aswell. So my question is.

do you have to plug them into your Internet hub to work, or can you just plug into the power supply and get it working wirelesley??????
Any help with this would be much appreciated as I cannot get the answers anywhere,
And if anyone can suggest a nas drive that would be great, its mainly to store photos, videos and music...
Thankyou for reading.

Harry.:thumbsup:

bapodra

It may be worth you looking at a Apple time capsule.

iambasil

Standard Member
Sounds like the router being next door and inaccessible via ethernet could be a problem.

The Time Capsule is pretty pricey, can't be partitioned and doesn't work as a NAS.

Also, depending on what router your neighbour has, you may find troubles extending/bridging it using Apple products (e.g. Airport Express - but you can check what router he has as it may be workable).

A cheaper solution would be just to get a much bigger external drive. They are pretty cheap these days for a decent small portable. The network attached requirement... have you thought about cloud services - eg iCloud (great for music) or DropBox?

Alternatively, if you're looking to invest in the longer term, you'd probably want to consider an accessible router as a starting point.

Good luck, and maybe there is a NAS expert on here who can offer an alternative viewpoint using NAS technology.

next010

Distinguished Member
Also I'm not sure your neighbour would appreciate the strain on the internet link accessing your media remotely when out and about as their link will have to upload it from the NAS and maxed out uploads can to slow down other internet usage.

As imabasil says iCloud might be a good idea for media hosting.

A Timecapsule does work as a NAS, though it is also a router, you just configure it to connect to your local wireless network, a timecapsule though is very poor value for money as it doesn't do a whole lot more. Plus you want to secure the timecapsule from access by other clients on the network.

A bigger external HDD might simply be the better option, ones from Lacie are always Mac compatible. That model also does RAID 1 mirroring.

iambasil

Standard Member
A Timecapsule does work as a NAS, though it is also a router, you just configure it to connect to your local wireless network, a timecapsule though is very poor value for money as it doesn't do a whole lot more. Plus you want to secure the timecapsule from access by other clients on the network.
next010 is right about the TC working as a NAS on your home network, but just to clarify it requires a static IP, ethernet connection to modem and a bit of jiggery pokery to make it accessible via the internet (see here). He's also absolutely right about killing your neighbour's connection when you accessed it remotely.

next010, hope it's not cheeky to ask here, but could you mind having a quick look at my query here please? Would be very much appreciated!

Hackers13

Standard Member
Thankyou to everyone who helped, I think I will be purchasing a big external hard drive which has raid 1 to mirror all data and also use as my time machine back up, which as someone said Lacie do, and use my older western digital to back up my much much needed files every month or so unplugit and store it somewhere safe incase of the unlikely event of a burglary etc????. much love, harry:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom