NAS Recommendations

neonplanet40

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided to upgrade my Nas. But I am stuck on what to get.

Synology DS2422+ - this would have been ideal as I currently have a ds2415+ which is also a 12 bay (I use all 12 bays).

But it seems that Synology is stupidly (for a non enterprise device) enforcing the use of their own extortionate hard drives.

You can use other drives, but the volumes will always display as critical and will not allow you to view SMART data etc. As I said, a rediculous change and an absolute deal breaker for me.

So I am left with two options (if I stick with Synology).

1. DS1821+ - 8 Bay Nas with either the dx517 expansion unit or a ds920+. This doesn't have the hard drive issue and the 1821 has the same hardware as the 2422+.

So I can either use the 1821+ with the dx517 expansion unit or get the ds1821+ and a DS920+. Prices crazily are similar between the expansion unit and a full device. I would be keen not to split the one volume over the expansion unit anyway. Obviously a 12 bay would be preferable. But not with Synology's latest decisions around hard drives.

Keen to hear other people's thoughts. I already have the hard drives (12 in total). Although if the 18tb offer comes on again (which was on in December), I may get 2. I normally tend to run Synology's SHR2.

Thanks.

I can’t offer too much advice, but was looking at a NAS myself. I was looking at the Synology drive compatibility list and they do list a western digital drive as compatible, maybe they are slowly bending to public opinion?

What do you hope to gain by getting a newer device?

I wouldn't go down the smaller unit with an expansion route personally. I have a DX1817+ and was looking at the expansion module, I also run SHR.
The issue for me was, if the expansion module disconnects for any reason, it then fails the system as 5 drives have "failed" and you're potentially stuffed having to rely on your backup to rebuild everything. The only thing connecting them is a cable.
I decided it wasn't worth it and to either buy a 2nd NAS or look at a 12-bay in the not too distant.

Making you purchase Synology branded HDD's for full functionality seems a bit proprietary, If that's correct I hope they rethink it.

At the minute they do seem to be making you buy their drives for the 2422+. I am leaning more towards the ds1821 and another seperate DS unit. One volume on each. Not sure which to get. Think my budget for the second D's is £500. It would be the secondary unit. 1821 would be my main unit.

Upgrading just because the wife has agreed. And if I don't get it, she'll spend it on something silly. I can then sell my Synology ds2415.

What do you hope to gain by getting a newer device?

I wouldn't go down the smaller unit with an expansion route personally. I have a DX1817+ and was looking at the expansion module, I also run SHR.
The issue for me was, if the expansion module disconnects for any reason, it then fails the system as 5 drives have "failed" and you're potentially stuffed having to rely on your backup to rebuild everything. The only thing connecting them is a cable.
I decided it wasn't worth it and to either buy a 2nd NAS or look at a 12-bay in the not too distant.

Making you purchase Synology branded HDD's for full functionality seems a bit proprietary, If that's correct I hope they rethink it.
My 918+ went band and totally died while my Expansion unit was attached, when I got my replacement I plugged in the expansion unit and all 4 drives were fine. Both units have their own Volume, you would definitely have an issue if you expanding a volume over it.

At the minute they do seem to be making you buy their drives for the 2422+. I am leaning more towards the ds1821 and another seperate DS unit. One volume on each. Not sure which to get. Think my budget for the second D's is £500. It would be the secondary unit. 1821 would be my main unit.

Upgrading just because the wife has agreed. And if I don't get it, she'll spend it on something silly. I can then sell my Synology ds2415.
I have a1821+ and an expansion unit and both work together very well.

I bought 1821 folks. May get an 920+ as well. Waiting on price to come down again

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom