Question NAS recommendations - Intel CPU required

FaxFan2002

Prominent Member
Reaction score
All,

I currently have a Synology 210j+ with two 1.5TB drives in for basic NAS functions - mostly automated backup via the Synology backup client and time machine (when it works). I'm also running a Mac Mini (intel 1.66/8gb ram/ubuntu) for a webserver / teamspeak server and a few other bits. Both run 24x7 so I'd really like to consolidate and speed up the NAS (it takes forever to backup). Storage is not an issue right now, though a degree of expansion in the future maybe nice.

Now I'd like to combine the two and the two / three paths I'm thinking of are -

1. Upgrade NAS to an Intel based one - confused on Atom vs. Celeron and the ability to expand RAM (though QNAP seems to be straight forward). Models being considered - Netgear RN31200 (e-sata expandable) and QNAP TS-251. Both around £250 - any others for the melting pot?

2. Use the Mac Mini as a "NAS", I know there are NAS distro's available but my question would come done to using either USB2 or Firewire 400 and what kind of performance I might get - it could be a sideways or backwards step or am I missing something? This could be the cheapest option with just disc enclosures to buy.

3. Mac mini upgrade to a thunderbolt based system. Assuming I'd use ubuntu (possible dual boot for the occasional mac usage) / nas distro and have to purchase a thunderbolt disk chassis system. The most expensive option without a doubt and money could be better spent on a higher end NAS system?

Thoughts / comments...

I would go the microserver route..

Ububtu will run fine or a few other choices available.

That'd leave you with 5 bays to upgrade hdds, stick 8gb ram in, and youd fly !

Much quicker than the of the shelf nas for the price.

Server can be had for under 200 with another 50 for ram if you look around!

Raz

Now that's an interesting option - as I occasionally use an ESXI server for staging Windows servers for work. This little box could do it all :)

I could use the Sata 2 drives from my current NAS in the slower bays in raid 1 and I assume the Sata 3 drives from my current ESXI server in faster bays standalone. Then just move my ESXI license to the new box and VM whatever I needed to! Linux for teamspeak, web, NAS etc. Windows server when needed.

Expansion looks good with a PCI & USB 3 available.

To be fair most mechanical disks won't break the SATA2 throughput limit anyway.

Seen it advertised for 120 after cash back recently from ebuyer

Wasnt sure what it was atm Chuck - Was on my phone this morning so couldnt check either!

I went whole hog with mine when I was looking hence the microserver route.. Still think its the best bang for buck even still....

Ive got the older N54L so the gen8 is better still....

I'm inclined to agree with razer1.

I've got a home-build NAS which I currently backup to a 2 bay Synology DS211j. Although I haven't had any trouble with the time incremental backups take, I really could do with more space for them. 4x 2 TB in RAID6 will give me a bit more lee-way, especially as I already have the disks.

The home-build NAS is running Ubuntu server with ZFS. I have shares set-up via NFS and Samba. It runs a KVM virtual machine on which I'm running Plex server to stream media around the rest of household. I must admit, it's been a bit of an adventure setting it all up from scratch. It sports a Xeon E3 CPU and ECC memory, so whilst it's cost a fair bit more than the HP Microserver, it's great for transcoding media.

Are you running your backups over gigabit ethernet? And are you backing up incrementally? (Just changes, as oppose to everything)

Unless a microserver either hasnt got enough expansion or not enough umph, then I'd go the self build route.

I will do once im running more on my server next year but I may even just get a 2nd micro box tbh...

Other than that, the microserver covers most requirements.

As the OP the microserver route certainly covers my requirements (NAS, web, teamspeak server and the bonus of ESXi - three boxes into one) and has expandability in all areas though. Great suggestion and relatively cheap to boot, very helpful guys.

Might be worth investigating linux-containers over docker as they may return a lower overhead. The Celeron 1610T used in the entry level HP Microserver is a good choice of processor but I doubt it's a prime candidate for full virtualisation - it might be slightly underpowered and I suspect it lacks some of the virtualisation extensions.

I eventually gathered some spares of my own to make a system, the only thing I bought in the end was a raid controller (adaptec 6405E) now have a i7-2600 (watercooled) with 2 x 1.5TB (from Synology) in raid 1 for the main NAS (via ubuntu) which also runs teamspeak servere, AFP, Plex. Then a 1 x 240GB SSD and 2TB HDD (240GB in RAID 1 - the adaptec performs all reads from the SSD and a 1.75TB JBOD). Fans are gentle typhoon's on a fan controller so nice and quite as well :)

It's all under ESXi ("spare" license from work) running Ubuntu and 5 x Windows 2008 servers (full domain with Exchange, Lync EV etc.).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom