NAS recommendations for my requirements

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to get my first NAS. I’m fairly confident with networks.

The most important thing I want is CCTV software, so Surveillance Station or similar is a must, to replace my terrible NVR (but 4 OK POE cameras).

After that I want to run Homebridge and PiHole (currently running on a Pi).

And photo library backups.

Not interested in Plex or media server duties (other than playing back family videos).

We are all using Apple devices at home if that makes any difference.

Budget around £500ish, can go higher if really worth it.

Any recommendations?

Can't help with specific models but I've been happily using Synology with Apple for a few years. I mainly use for downloading, backups which then backup to the cloud etc. Have experimented with surveillance station and was happy. All easy to access outside the home when needed. Didn't realise Homebridge ran on Synology so might have to look at that.

I use a Qnap TS251+ R to store files including media, streaming music and ip cameras using QVRPro. I run Wireguard on a Raspberry Pi to access the files remotely.

What's wrong with your NVR that makes it terrible?

Terrible app, and RSTP doesn’t work so can’t use anything else (such as integration into HomeKit via Homebridge).

Absolutely useless pixel based motion detection that either detects movement at an atomic level, or never at all.

Last edited:
I’m looking to get my first NAS. I’m fairly confident with networks.

The most important thing I want is CCTV software, so Surveillance Station or similar is a must, to replace my terrible NVR (but 4 OK POE cameras).

After that I want to run Homebridge and PiHole (currently running on a Pi).

And photo library backups.

Not interested in Plex or media server duties (other than playing back family videos).

We are all using Apple devices at home if that makes any difference.

Budget around £500ish, can go higher if really worth it.

Any recommendations?
My £240.00 Synology DS220+ with a cheap 4GB Crucial memory upgrade (6GB total) runs great, I use Docker but haven't yet tried PiHole or Homebridge. Surveillance Station, Plex Server, Time Machine and photo backup etc all running with no problems with Apple TV's, iMac & Macbook.

Got a Windows server running blue iris. Not the cheapest option but it's probably the most powerful pro-consumer CCTV option. The server also runs a bunch of other services like file serving, Virtual machines, web services, Usenet downloads, serviio, etc. Actual PC hardware especially second isn't expensive but running cost will be higher.

Have a Synology DS413 up for grabs in Classifieds.
OR, you can "roll your own" Synology, plenty of tutorials online how to do it. I swear by Synology, never had an issue, and a repeat customer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom