Nas Question from a beginner

P

pompeyexile

I am in the process of adding a Sonos bridge and connect to my hi-fi partly for the ability to have music playing all over the house but also because having reached over 1200 cd's I'm running out of space to store any new ones.

Having been given an i-pod last year I set about burning all of my cd's on to i-tunes in Apple lossless format and because of the amount of memory this would require and having an old small memory capacity computer, bought a
2tb Hitachi external hard drive and this has worked perfectly and I have room to spare having used only about a quarter of its capacity.

I'm now looking at buying a NAS to connect the Sonos to and put my i-tunes on so that I can also connect to i-tunes using our two laptops and
i-pad as well as having the ability to back up in case things go Pete Tong. I believe it would also mean I don't have to leave the computer running I currently have the external hard drive attached to, to access i-tunes.

After reading many reviews I have plumped for the Synology DS212J 2 bay NAS but of course this does not come with any hard drives installed and I'll have to wait until more funds are available to buy them. However, as I already have the 2tb Hitachi can I connect that to the Synology via the USB port as it already has my i-tunes on it and will it work the same as if I installed the two internal hard drives? I know until I do buy the internal drives I can't back up the system but I'll take that chance for now.

Sounds odd I know buying a NAS and not the drives at the same time but I am limited to funds and have to wait until I can save a few more shekels but as I have the Hitachi I thought I could set it up. If not I guess I'll just have to wait.

I did consider buying a Buffalo 2tb NAS which comes with the drives for the same price as the empty Synology box but the reviews I read weren't that good plus I know I can increase the size of the drive capacity in the Synology at a later date if I need to.

Thanks for your advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom