Question NAS queries, Synology 920+ PLEX and HEVC formats

chopples

Distinguished Member
It doesn’t happen very often. I think the LGs are known for only having 100mbps Ethernet ports.

Yeah that’s right mate which is why some will say they never had an issue. The thing is once it has done it once there is always a niggle in the back of the mind that it can happen again, which for me, would spoil the experience somewhat.

DT79

Yeah that’s right mate which is why some will say they never had an issue. The thing is once it has done it once there is always a niggle in the back of the mind that it can happen again, which for me, would spoil the experience somewhat.
Exactly, you can find yourself thinking about that and waiting for it rather than enjoying the film.

@SeeMoreDigital... So far I’ve watched 3 films and the only blips were during the title song to Skyfall. Otherwise all good.
I don't have the 4K UHD release of that movie, only the 2K. But according to Blu-ray.com its HEVC video bit-rate is around 46Mbps. Which is pretty average...

Tomnook80

Using that network adapter on the CX is hit and miss I've found. It will work fine when first plugged in then will cease to work after a couple of hours. It doesnt ever seem to become functional again unless you turn the TV off and on again. I've stuck to Plex on my Shield as lack of DTS on the set means using the TV means the sever has to transcode which works fine but would rather it didn't. The TV also struggles with a couple of DoVi files too.

Thus far I've not encountered any issues using the 920+ as a server and the Shield as client. The only minor hiccups are with individual bits of software. I.e. emby hiccups on a couple of files, Kodi does with a couple of different ones. Generally though Plex runs everything as it should, even files which burst up to 170mbs. I prefer Kodi in some ways after sorting it all out with Media Manger but at this stage Plex seem more stable. The only issues I'm having, which arent with the Synology or really the Shield, are issues with TrueHD files. The TV reads them as Atmos, which in my limited understanding they are (!?). If I play a particularly large 4k remux like Jaws the Atmos logo will appear repeatedly at the same points throughout the movie, as though it has lost and regained connection. The picture and sound remains unaffected but the logo appears which is irritating so I always use the alternate audio track. My money would be on the files haven't been pulled from the disc correctly as Atmos is read perfectly from Netflix, Disney+ etc.

Last edited:

nicolaidenmark

Be aware that Plex cannot transcode VC-1 videos. If you make a MakeMKV Lossless rip of a VC-1 encoded film, best do a full blown re code from VC-1 to H264 or H265 afterwards.

I personally feel my I7 9700K desktop re-codes to 265 quicker than to 264. Itt's just a feeling though. I haven't actually compared the times of each "job" in Handbrake.

chopples

Distinguished Member
If you have glitches at the same point of a film then the issue is Usually due to bandwidth, or if transcoding, cpu load.

I find the plex dashboard pretty useful when it comes to identifying what the Problem is. When using the onboard app on my Sony TV there is definitely a correlation between the traffic peaking and playback stutter. For example this is the typical bandwidth needed to direct play a game of thrones uhd episode, for playback i use infuse via an Apple TV

BA7FDDE1-2C1D-4ABF-BA02-074428FD0E21.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom