NAS quandary: build a NAS or buy a Synology 1813+

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Plaverda, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Plaverda

Plaverda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    So I'm scratching my head trying to make up my mind whether I should build a NAS in an old Power Mac G5 case by flowing an unraid build video on YouTube or just save time and buy a Synology 1813+?

I am not technical in nature and have never built a PC (or even owned a PC for that matter ). But it seems pretty easy. All the NAS will be doing in storing all my ISO and music files and hosting a couple of very small websites (portfolio sites).

All served up to a couple of Mac Mini's running XBMC, PowerBook Pros, iPads etc

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Plaverda

Plaverda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    And here is my lounge work in progress...

image.jpg

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    Really you could go either way, if you got the skills and want to save money self build or cant be bothered with DIY & want tech support go with the Synology.

You can even go easier than unraid, windows 8 has a pretty nifty built in software RAID system called storage spaces that makes building a multi disk array a doddle.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    I had the same dilemma and was planning on getting a cheap NAS. But a colleague talked me into buying the HP N54 micro server which currently has a cashback deal on..

I paid £90 with a 3 year onsite warranty.. I threw in a couple of 3TB WD red drives from Amazon at £80 each.. And finally today got around to installing Synology/DMS 4.3 on it. It took about 30 mins and the result is a fully feature NAS/DNLA server with RAID protected disks.

It worked out much cheaper than buying a dedicated NAS server, but benifits from good software based on quality HP hardware.. And i have a couple of bays free to double up my HD space when i am ready.

The software install was a bit daunting but there are some good guides to follow.. This is the best approach if you feel up to the challenge.

Jon

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    I have a netgear readynas pro4 which was around £500. The N54L is around about £100 (but varies depending on the cashback - currently £100). Add the excellent Synology software and like Jon above, you have a great server. Exceeds the netgear's spec and with better software. Win, win.

6. Plaverda

Plaverda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    So it's several votes for the HP. My issue is that it only has four bays and I am going to need a lot more than four.

7. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,591
    Have you got a link for that price ?

8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    Sorry.. After i wrote that, i questioned whether it was right.. They were £90, not 80. But still a good price... Deal has ended now, but i am sure it will be back.. Hope so as i want to add another.. I assumed i had to add them in pairs for RAID to work, but the Synology has "SHR" which only needs one drive for redundancy.. So i can ultimately add 3 drives and have 1 for redundancy.... So with a single 3TB will double my storage..

9. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I went with a QNAP TS-670 Pro. Plenty of bays for big storage and the Intel i3 3220 CPU easily handles on-the-fly transcoding which is really useful if like me, you want to use Plex to serve your multimedia to other devices.
    I've also up'd the RAM in my QNAP so I can run a VM Windows 7 for iTunes server and Serviio DLNA duties.
    Not the cheapest solution perhaps, but the QNAP x70's are very flexible and are amongst the fastest NAS available.

10. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Your not kidding at c£1100. You could get nearly 15 N54L's at the price I paid!

I just got a couple with 8 disks and it also gives me hardware redundancy. They won't be guaranteed to transcode, but will saturate a gigabit network easily. I have a mac mini i7 to transcode as it's always on anyway.

Glad you found a solution you were happy with. I now have three nas boxes and have never looked back.

11. rubenm

rubenm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Anyone got a manual and links to install it on the HP?

12. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310