NAS problems -help needed

Cynar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Sumvision Net Box and put in a 1TB Samsung SATA drive.
When I connect it via USB It appears as a 931GB capacity drive and I'm able to transfer files to and from it from my PC with no problems.
When I connect it to my Router it appears on the network and I can read from it and write to it but it's capacity is only 3.6GB!
I've tried formatting the drive using FAT32, NTFS and exFAT but the same problem appears whichever file system I use.
Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

I have also bought one of these and have the same issue. I also find the NAS to be very slow.

David

I think we may have bought a piece of junk and intend to return mine for a refund.
As a USB enclosure it's fine but the NAS side is just completely useless.
However I format the drive, Vista sees it's capacity as 4GB.
If I do it as FAT32 it's fairly slow but the capacity problem and FAT32 4GB file size limit make it useless.
If I do it as NTFS I stil have the capacity problem and it's so slow I actualy thought it was broken. It takes up to half an hour to appear on the network and the transfer rate must be about 1KB per month!

I have come to the same conclusion that the NAS side is rubbish, I tried to copy 5GB movie from my PC to the Netbox and Windows reported it would take 217 minutes so I gave up.

I am returning mine to the retailer for a refund and looking at the Icy Box 4220 which is a dual drive NAS for under £100.

David

I had a quick look around and found (what I assume to be) the product spec, I came to this:
http://www.sumvision.com.cn/searchResults.aspx?ptype=37

The next box seems to say:

Hard Disk DriveSupport all types of 3.5" SATA &IDE harddisk
CapacityCapacity support up to 750GB

Maybe it's the size of the disk that is causing an issue with the NAS?

I'm not sure, it seems a bit strange that it's ok via USB and not network, that's the only thing I can see that might be a reason?

Yeah, I thought that too but DavidT has had exactly the same trouble with a 500GB drive and I had the same with an old 80GB I had lying around.

I had a quick look around and found (what I assume to be) the product spec, I came to this:
http://www.sumvision.com.cn/searchResults.aspx?ptype=37

The next box seems to say:

Hard Disk DriveSupport all types of 3.5" SATA &IDE harddisk
CapacityCapacity support up to 750GB

Maybe it's the size of the disk that is causing an issue with the NAS?

I'm not sure, it seems a bit strange that it's ok via USB and not network, that's the only thing I can see that might be a reason?

It won't let me copy anything over 3.6GB via the network at all.
I can only do it via USB.
What OS are you using?
I have come to the same conclusion that the NAS side is rubbish, I tried to copy 5GB movie from my PC to the Netbox and Windows reported it would take 217 minutes so I gave up.

Both running Vista by any chance?

It won't let me copy anything over 3.6GB via the network at all.
I can only do it via USB.
What OS are you using?

I'm running XP.

David

My Netbox is on its way back to the retailer. It works OK as a USB caddy but IMO is hopeless as a NAS device. I tried both FAT32 and NTFS format and still WindowsXP reported the drive as 3.96GB although XP would let me copy greater than that to the drive albeit extremely slow (217 mins for a 5GB file). Even with 5GB of files windows still reported the drive as 0% used.

David

I've actually decided to keep mine.
It's useless for writing to as a NAS but as USB is a lot quicker I'm not over bothered as I'd use that anyway.
I can play .iso DVD rips from it perfectly well via the network on my PC so assume the same will be the case with the PopcornHour I have on order.
As that's all I want it for, and I can't find anything similar at anywhere near the price it's going to have to stay.

As you say it works fine as a USB drive. I too wanted the Netbox to work with a media player (I have yet to decide which one to buy) and wanted the NAS capability but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for".

David

Yep. I suppose you can't expect a lot for £30.
I can read from it fine as a NAS just not write to it.

A mate bought a cheap NAS too, rubbish. Dad also has a cheap NAS again that's rubbish. Tried to use as a NAS took hours, over USB and a few minutes.:rolleyes: Stick to a good brand. Buffalo Linkstation also good seems a bit quieter

I'm not only having trouble uploading files.

I bought a Sumvision Netbox so I could watch my digital camera's mjpeg video files (20,700 kbps) in WMP over my wi-fi, but it's just not up to it when it's connected directly to the router as a NAS.

If I connect it to my desktop PC via USB2, I can watch the video files on my laptop over the wi-fi no problem, so the issue is with the network interface capability of the Sumvision itself.

I have since found a few forum posts stating cheap NAS caddies are slow. Wish I'd thought to google "slow NAS drive" before I'd bought it. :(

hey guys, i know this is old but did this ever get sorted?, im also having the problem with windows only seeing 3.96GB when its conected to the network.
mine is also the sumvision nas

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom