NAS or SAN devices

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Please let me know if you ar using any NAS, or SAN's with Vista and what your experiences are?

Synchro

Distinguished Member
The reason I ask, is because I wanted to get my old SC101 working, but found out that currently Netgear do not support Vista with this product :(

treacle

Novice Member
Old systems and applications are not the things to attempt on Vista, be prepared to be often disappointed.

ntm1275

Novice Member
I use a Synology DS-106e NAS with Vista and it works perfectly
It is configured by a web interface, so not Operating System dependant

If your Netgear is controlled by a program that has to be installed to your PC's hard drive, then if Netgear haven't updated it to be compatible with Vista you may have a problem
Netgear web page says it is compatible with 2000 (SP4), XP Home or Pro (SP1 and SP2) and 2003 (SP4)

Synchro

Distinguished Member
That would be ideal, if it took 2 x HDD, rather than just a single disk :(

willsy2

Have you tried running the SC101 software? If it doesn't work, you could try running it in XP compatability mode.

I'm using an old Synology DS101 and a NasLite box with no problems on Vista.

I would think that the Cubestation would use a web browser configuration as all the DS range do. One thing to watch on the Synology stuff - i did a firmware upgrade which then proceeded to wipe the hard drive :eek: (Luckily i'd just copied almost everything to the NasLite server i'd just built) It did give a warning beforehand, but it looked like the normal "just in case anything goes wrong" warning.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
It doesn't work, which ever way you try and install/run it. I'll have to wait for Netgear to release the right drivers, but its not a nice wait :mad: :mad:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Quick thread hijack here....:blush:

Does anyone know if the SC101 will accept hard drives with data on already, or do you have to format them before you can use them?

I'm about to build an HTPC and this would suit me down to the ground if I can put my existing HDDs in it and access then across the network, but not if I have to wipe them 1st. :suicide:

Cheers.

andrewilley

I emailed Freecom about this same issue with one of their Classic network drives (I'm not using Vista yet, and mostly I connect my drive via USB to one PC anyway, so not really a biggie for me yet). They said they are not supporting NAS with Vista yet either, but suggested I try the raw drivers from the software house that developed them. I'll try to dig out the email when I get home.

Andre

ntm1275

Novice Member
Quick thread hijack here....:blush:

Does anyone know if the SC101 will accept hard drives with data on already, or do you have to format them before you can use them?

I'm about to build an HTPC and this would suit me down to the ground if I can put my existing HDDs in it and access then across the network, but not if I have to wipe them 1st. :suicide:

Cheers.
Most NAS products use a flavour of Linux as their operating system, so when you install a hard drive into the NAS, it has to partition the drive for the Linux OS, so you loose any data that was previously on it

tennant

Novice Member
I'm using a Buffalo Terastation RAID 5 NAS with 3 Vista PCs generally without problems. File transfer is slower than under XP, and if you create a new foler on the network drive you can't see it until you manually refresh the window.

Tennant

tennant

Novice Member
Why would file transfer be slower than in XP?
All file transfers seem to be slower in Vista than XP...even copying files between two drives in the same PC. There's quite a lot of discussion on the issue in other forums, not sure if there's a solid explanation for it yet.

Tennant

ntm1275

Novice Member
Apparently this is true, Vista seems to generate at least twice as much network traffic as XP did, see the article below

http://www.apcstart.com/node/4226

I did my own test of a 701MB avi file from my NAS to XP and Vista
To XP it took 75 seconds giving a transfer of 9.35MB/s
To Vista it took 110 seconds giving a transfer of 6.37MB/s

I tried it serveral times with both XP and Vista and the time taken was identical each time, even stopping the extra protocols that exist in Vista did not make any difference

badbob

Banned
The reason I ask, is because I wanted to get my old SC101 working, but found out that currently Netgear do not support Vista with this product :(
That's because it's not a proper NAS! :rotfl:
Ditch that fake NAS and spend it on something decent. A NAS doesn't require drivers for any PC to access it. The Netgear does.

Identical to a router/gateway/switch/modem all in one box, no drivers are needed.

I have a D-Link DNS-323, just had firmware update to fix Vista 4GB limitation, I think sounds like a Vista bug, not the D-Link as no problems with Linux or XP.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
SC101 is now listed on a certain bidding site. Another (proper NAS) is nearly on order.

ntm1275

Novice Member
SC101 is now listed on a certain bidding site. Another (proper NAS) is nearly on order.
Just out of interest, which NAS have you chosen to nearly order

I've only ever bought one, and I was interested in your choice and any possible reasons

I'm in the market to buy another one, but I won't need one as featured as the Synology, so hopefully less money can be spent

Synchro

Distinguished Member
For me its a toss up between:-

QNap Turbo Station TS-201 £164.49 inc VAT
D-Link DNS-323 £223.24 inc VAT
Synology Disk Station CS-407e £381.86 inc VAT

They are all Gigabit.
They all take 2 x Sata drives
QNap & D-Link do RAID 0 & RAID 1
Synology does RAID 0,1 & 5

My monies (currently) on the QNAP, good reviews (like here) and decent price. However, if when next month comes around and I come to justy the extra features on the Synology, then I may plump for that, but its unlikely.

N.B. I am only looking at 2 disk, Gigabit units.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
Couldnt risk waiting till next month. My life would not have been worth living if all the piccies and videos had been lost. Just installed the QNAP today.

ntm1275

Novice Member
Couldnt risk waiting till next month. My life would not have been worth living if all the piccies and videos had been lost. Just installed the QNAP today.
Could you keep us updated with how the QNAP is going, as I may be interested in one - many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published