• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NAS or Laptop with External HDD

Toki

Standard Member
I have a Squeezebox Touch which I use with my desktop PC and use WOL. I know a lot of people have a vortexbox or NAS instead. What are the benefits of using a NAS over a desktop PC with WOL?

The other option I've been thinking about instead of getting a NAS / Vortexbox is to get an external HDD and plug this into a laptop and use WOL for this. Reasons are a NAS or Vortexbox is quite expensive for a good spec in my view compared to a cost of laptop and HDD.

P.S. I know there's a similar thread but didn't want to hijack it.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
What are the benefits of using a NAS over a desktop PC with WOL

Could be lower noise of you can't put the PC/server outside the listening room
Bit less power when running, but marginal overall with WOL
Some NAS make RAID easy (but you still need a backup)

external HDD and plug this into a laptop

I have a 3Tb disk on eSATA connected to an Acer Revo 3600 for HTPC duties and that works well enough.

Last edited:

larkone

Distinguished Member
You don't need a high spec to run Vortexbox. I use a 10 year old Pentium 4 PC (1.5GB ram but will run with 768MB) that I have put quiet fans into and a green drive - did the whole lot for less than £100. It is silent and uses very little power, starts on WOL and is set to shut down after 20 mins of no use. It is a great ripper and does a pretty good job of tagging as well. The s/w is free as well with good support on the forums. Very easy to install and run. The cost saving of using an old PC over a low power NAS or new low power PC buys an awful lot of electricity.

If you are looking at a NAS then these can be very low power, but do not bother with RAID as it is un-necessary in a domestic situation - you do not need high availability. Also RAID uses a lot more power and wears out the disks faster as they are all spinning to provide RAID protection - and you still need to have enough external drives for backup as well.

Amcluesent's Acer Revo would run Vortexbox well.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom