NAS newbie

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by foxmeister, Aug 21, 2013.

1. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im putting together my first proper hifi setup now, and trying to get up to speed on streamers etc, have never used these before coming from car audio and the good old CD.

I have a list of what im putting together, and seeing most people are now using streamers and such i have included a Network Streamer in the hifi. Now i see the best solution to have here also is a NAS device to work with, i have no clue about these and just started looking into them.

I thought it would just be a slave storage device, but have picked up from some threads that certain NAS use certain software etc which is really confusing now :rolleyes: as i dont even know which software to look into.

Can somebody suggest a starting point for me here and anywhere with good info to read up on. My requirements are to have the streamer from the stereo work with NAS to supply the music, may stick the odd photo here and there on it but mainly its to build a music library, around 1 or 2tb should be enough.

How do i figure out which NAS, software etc to use? The network streamer will likely be a Denon if that makes any difference.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    1) Buy a Synology DS112j NAS, you can get them with or without a pre-installed hard drive.

2) After getting NAS get the Synology assistant application and DSM firmware (live demo of firmware). The assistant app will find the NAS once powered on and plugged into the network then install the DSM firmware.

3) Once your in the NAS UI, go to package centre and install media server, this will auto create 3 folders on the NAS for music, photo, video. These folders are monitored by the media server for content copied into them.

4) The assistant app can map any folders made on the NAS like music or just do it via windows explorer so the network drive appears in my computer.

Copy your music files over and the DLNA media server will scan them into it's library, if your Denon is a DLNA media player it can connect to the Synology media server and access the media.

Alternatively activate Audiostation on the NAS DSM which is Synologys music centre, if you have a phone or tablet install DSAudio and if the Denon is a DLNA renderer you can push music from the DSAudio app to the Denon, this can also be done from PC using Audiostation in web browser.

Lastly if neither the Synology media server or Audiostation are up to your standards there is a music dedicated media server called Minim which is available for Synology NAS, download the arm build and install manual in package centre.

With the Synology your covered multiple ways compared to other solutions.

3. foxmeister

foxmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    next010 - Thanks for the informative reply, something i can start looking into. The only concern i have here is, i gather Synology is one of the preferred brands with lots of users but also read in a thread of an issue regarding the unit and it taking an absolute age to create thumbnails for pictures on it, sometimes weeks of running at 100%, does this cover all Synology units or just certain models, i.e the one you have recommended?

I dont have a library of pictures really, but would like to think i can add them without any hassle in future if possible.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,107
    That wont be an issue.

That problem they are referring to is Synology's indexing service which scans content on the NAS, what ties it up though are videos if photostation service is enabled and videos are present in folders monitored by it, the NAS will make low res shadow copies of the videos for use with photostation but as the NAS CPU is so low end it takes forever to do.

Super high res photos might take a little longer to index especially if there is a large amount of them.

The assistant app should be used instead to upload videos & photos to photstation as it uses the PC CPU to generate the thumbnails and shadow copies of video (for internet streaming) via photostation.