NAS/Network Advice

Sinialtstar

Hi Sorry if this is a stupid question, and no doubt been asked many times before.

I currently have a old WD "My Cloud" that stores my CD collection as FLAC and MP3 and also DVD Rips.
This works well enough for use around the house, on the local network. IE android music players such as "Bubble UPNP"

However to access it outside the house (away from the local network), you have to copy all the files into a public folder and use the WD App which, to be honest is not fit for purpose.

The hard drive on this is about to give up (I do have back up copies of the data).

As far as I am aware you cannot use anything else but the app, and you cannot use your own software (3rd party) on the server itself you can only use what is pre -installed.

So what I would like to know is, what do I need to access my music collection from anywhere (with a data connection of course) using the apps that I already use on a mobile device that will offer music streaming, with playlists etc, etc

To be fair, I have always been disappointed with WD device as it's so restrictive in what it can do. My project for the upcoming winter months is to replace it with something else.

I don't want to use streaming services such as Spotify. I want to stream my own ripps.

So what do I need, to achieve what I want to do. I don't want (am not allowed by order of the wife) to spend a lot of money but am open to reasonable options.

Thank you in advance

jimscreechy

I think you need to tell us how much storage space your collection needs. Obviously there are services like google drive -15GB and one drive - 5GB ( and many others) which come with the indicated storage capacities for free. Past this limit you would need to subscribe and pay for additional storage costs. its easy, free and of course you can access it via mobile data.

next010

Distinguished Member
It's possible to stream over the internet using BubbleUPnP server.

However this requires a computer running the BubbleUPnP software which then scans your WD UPnP/DLNA server and your Android BubbleUPnP client connects to the PC version of BubbleUPNP.

Entry level NAS from the likes of Synology, QNAP etc have internet media streaming services built in with mobile apps to act as clients.

Sinialtstar

Thank you for your replies
I think you need to tell us how much storage space your collection needs.

Music alone I have about 500gb of space taken up. this is where my full collection is stored.
My next project is to rip my DVD collection, I already have some done. the current WD is 3GB and I have only half filled it. It is used as my primary media storage. Standard documents are saved on my Google Drive

Entry level NAS from the likes of Synology, QNAP etc have internet media streaming services built in with mobile apps to act as clients.

Thank you, I was looking at the likes of Synology. but I was wondering if I can still use a 3rd party app (Like Bubble / VLC etc) away from my home network / wifi connection. the WD app is really not fit for purpose (as far as I know, I have not used it for since I bought the WD Cloud in about 2012), and the aforementioned apps meet my needs perfectly.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you, I was looking at the likes of Synology. but I was wondering if I can still use a 3rd party app (Like Bubble / VLC etc) away from my home network / wifi connection. the WD app is really not fit for purpose (as far as I know, I have not used it for since I bought the WD Cloud in about 2012), and the aforementioned apps meet my needs perfectly.
For ease of use you'd really be better off sticking with the NAS apps but it is possible to use your own provided you configure it all.

If you look at the BubbleUPnP page they provide a server version for QNAP NAS that isn't difficult to install (provided nothing goes wrong), see their install guide pdf, so if you really want BubbleUPnP get a QNAP. They only have a Synology version for an older version Syno OS so not worth it.

You should then be able to play from BubbleUPnP to VLC on your phone remotely, so long as your internet link is fast enough.

spile

I would recommend using a VPN server in order to securely access your NAS files remotely. I use a Qnap NAS and run MinimServer.

You might check out roon on NAS. I haven't used it myself but I understand it's a very good audio streaming platform. Only works on x86 based cpus, but the link there lists which NAS it's compatible with. You'd still be able to use the NAS to store additional stuff, such as your DVD collection, no problem.

Baldfox

The best solution i've found for remote accessing files is to set up tailscale. It connects various networks together quickly and easily. It's based on wireguard and it just works. You'll be up and running wihin minutes with no portforwarding or difficult configurations needed on the router side. I can access any machine or device on my network, my parents network, using any laptop, phone, tablet etc. It's secure with 2fa and quick. If you want to stream your own music for instance, set up a little raspberry pi, install tailscale to it (takes 45 seconds) and you can browse it where ever you are.
I followed this guide to set it up: The Holy Grail Of Networking: Tailscale | The Smarthome Book

spile

Wireguard running on a Raspberry Pi allows me to securely access my NAS when outside the LAN.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
As a counterpoint I've had my LMS server accessible from elsewhere in the past and various NAS and servers with external access but I don't bother anymore, for the money spent on power and equipment I'd rather have a sub to a music service.

Another alternative is to use YouTube music, the free version allows you to upload upto 100,000 of your own tunes for streaming purposes, it'll convert to OGG format for the upload but that's more than good enough for mobile listening of your own collection with no need to unnecessarily expose your network to the big old nasty internet.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom