• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NAS + imac + Tvix

Movieman

Established Member
Hi I'm just about to buy my first imac, but i have a concern, firstly I know very little about computers, but here's my question, what format do I need to format the hard drives in the nas so that the imac and the tvix 6500 can us it?
I am using the nas as a media storage and streaming that media to the Tvix, .iso file's of around 4-6 gb.

Movieman

Established Member
Thanks endlesswaves.
I found this (see link)and having looked at the chart if you follow it down to "file system" it states that the file system used on the cs-407 is ext3, and that fat32 & ntfs is used only for external drives which i presume are attached via usb.
So prosume that both will be able to see the nas and read what files are on it?

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/compare_spec.php

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
ext3 is a Linux filesystem, I don't believe windows can read or write to it.

However, I don't know a lot about how a NAS works so it is possible it doesn't matter what the filesystem is from the point of view of the computers on the network.

Zarch

Prominent Member
ext3 is a Linux filesystem, I don't believe windows can read or write to it.

However, I don't know a lot about how a NAS works so it is possible it doesn't matter what the filesystem is from the point of view of the computers on the network.

Correct. Most NAS devices basically are an Operating System running in the box and in most cases, a linux variant. Hence, the filesystem is ext3.

This is then shared out on the network by the NAS, ie unc //server/share. The filesystem of the underlying share is irrelevant to the host machine, it just uses it.

Movieman

Established Member
Mickwall thanks.
So if Ive understood you right the synology nas will sit there as ext3 and I will be able to backup my dvd's and cd's to it, via the imac, and then the tvix down stairs will also see it as ext3 and will play the movie or music.

Zarch

Prominent Member
Mickwall thanks.
So if Ive understood you right the synology nas will sit there as ext3 and I will be able to backup my dvd's and cd's to it, via the imac, and then the tvix down stairs will also see it as ext3 and will play the movie or music.

Yep.

My synology sits on my network as ext3 happily talking to my PC, my HTPC, and my Logitech Squeezebox. :smashin:

It would also see my xbox 360 if i decide to go down that route, but my HTPC does all that sort of thing!

I have no doubts the Mac will be supported exactly the same. The synology site says:

Supported Clients

Windows 2000 onward
Mac OS X 10.3 onward

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/CS407/spec.php

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom