• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NAS + imac + Tvix

Movieman

Established Member
Hi I'm just about to buy my first imac, but i have a concern, firstly I know very little about computers, but here's my question, what format do I need to format the hard drives in the nas so that the imac and the tvix 6500 can us it?
I am using the nas as a media storage and streaming that media to the Tvix, .iso file's of around 4-6 gb.

jont

Prominent Member
if you are just reading files from the nas then it can be ntfs as macs can natively read but not write to that format ... there are a couple of utils that will allow writing to ntfs that you can download/use though ... I guess if you are using 4-6gb iso's then the drive can't be FAT32 formatted in the first place ... ?

Jon

Movieman

Established Member
thanks Jon
That's right, I think the question should have been what does synology format the drives too when you first set it up ? FAT32 or NTFS

jont

Prominent Member
according to the Synology website the home NAS solutions "Share Files between Windows and Mac DS-106j (edit - same text for 107/206/207) is designed for Windows users and Mac users to share files seamlessly. Windows users can access DS-106j via Samba and FTP, and Mac users via Samba, FTP, and AFP. Unicode support allows sharing files smoothly in different languages.

Looks like has multiple formatting options ...

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/compare_spec.php

HTH

Jon

Movieman

Established Member
Once again jon thanks for the reply and info attached.
Having looked at that chart if you follow it down to "file system" it states that the file system used on the cs-407 is ext3, and that fat32 & ntfs is used only for external drives which i presume are attached via usb.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom