NAS Help Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andybailey1972, Feb 25, 2014.

1. andybailey1972

andybailey1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Ladies and Gents,

I am looking to update my home cinema (details in my signature) with regards to film and tv show storage. I currently have my movies etc on a portable hard-drive but am wanting to set up a NAS. Does the NAS need to be hard-wired to the Onkyo tx-nr626 Amp or can i utilise the wifi on the amp.

Ideally i want the NAS somewhere else in the house (out of the way) and be able to connect to it from the other tv's in the house as well.

The other option that i can see is using a Raspberry Pi running XBMC connected to the Amp however this would mean that it is solely for the living room tv.

I apologise if this is a stupid question but it is something that I know nothing about.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

2. Billkaza

Billkaza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Using Wifi has some restrictions at large files..For example if you play large MKV or BD files you may have stuttering issues over wifi.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    As already mentioned, wifi has far less bandwidth and is not a good option if wanting to stream HD content. Regardless of this, only Sony's top high end AV receivers can handle video accessed via their networking capabilities and all other AV receivers are restricted to audio only via their networking capabilities. You'd nned an external media player connected to your AV receiver via HDMI in order to play video content stored on a NAS. I'd suggest you hardwire the media player to your router in order to get the best possible audio and video streaming performance. Note that many Blu-ray players have inbuilt media player capabilities and also have networking built into them. You could use such a player as the media renderer as well as the device with which to browse the content of your NAS with.

4. Billkaza

Billkaza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Οr maybe you could get a mediaplayer with a small hard disk and wifi and a seperate Nas and everytime you want to watch a movie first transfer from Nas to Mediaplayer over wifi and then play it.
    This is a hassle but a solution too.

5. andybailey1972

andybailey1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Thanks for the answers guys. Would i be wrong to think that I need to get a raspberry pi connect to a large portable hdd via usb (loaded with all my films and tv shows) and also connect via hdmi to the av reciever. This would be perfect for the living room tv but would i then be able to connect the pi to the router via ethernet cable? and what would i need in the other rooms to be able to watch the hdd content?

6. Billkaza

Billkaza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Raspberry is a great solution..As i understand your problem is the hardwire right?
    Maybe you could use homeplugs if your router is in a totaly different room.
    For watching movies to your 46eh5300 maybe you dont need raspberry at all as i think tv has great embedded media player.
    So all you have to do is connect usb hdd to tv

7. andybailey1972

andybailey1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Thanks again Billkaza, the HDD drive is too large (1tb) to connect direct to the TV as it only accepts memory sticks 32gb and below. If I use home plugs how do I connect the TV upstairs (non smart)? Do I need to get an apple air play or something like that? Would my sons ps3 be able to see the raspberry pi?
    Cheers

8. Billkaza

Billkaza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Usb hard drive keeps you back.
    what you need is a nas drive connected on router from there you get a homeplug on your sammy that i think suport dlna and another homeplug for you sons ps3 that i also think support dlna(i am not sure abou this) or else a raspberry with xbmc. This way you could access nas files from everywhere that you have lan or wifi access.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,053
    You'd need a media player with DLNA capabilities located in each room you want to access the NAS from. The media player can be built into a TV or it can be a standalone model connected to a TV. How you get the content from the NAS to each device is another matter and using cat6 ethernet is still the best solution. If you cannot facilitate a wired connection to each device from your router then using homeplugs would be the next consideration with wifi being firmly at the bottom of the list.

A PS3 is a poor option for media rendering. It is limited in terms of the formats it will play, for example, it cannot play MKV containers and MKV is the most versatile container option available. You really need a player that can handle MKV. Again, Apple's Apple TV would not be very versatile and will restrict the formats you can play to those Apple support. The Apple TV also cannot read MKV containers.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014