NAS hdd Desktop or Enterprise does it matter

dspit1664

Does it really matter if I use Desk hdd or Enterprise type hdd's? I have read some threads where some desktop type hdd and to steer clear of them and one or two other threads where issues have been seen etc ....?

dspit1664

Yes however some desktop green and wd/seagate drives have been reported as having problems with QNAP NAS's. I guess what I'm asking is :

I should just take the QNAP compat/incompat lists as a guide and if I want a good 2/3 TB hdd all I really need to think about (and quite rightly so in high energy times we are in) are is it green/5600 - 5900 speed and from recognised vendors ?

Berties

Banned
No problems with my two WD Green's in a TS-209 II. I don't think the model is in the supported device list when I fitted them, detected and formatted ok.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Yes however some desktop green and wd/seagate drives have been reported as having problems with QNAP NAS's. I guess what I'm asking is :

I should just take the QNAP compat/incompat lists as a guide and if I want a good 2/3 TB hdd all I really need to think about (and quite rightly so in high energy times we are in) are is it green/5600 - 5900 speed and from recognised vendors ?

I use Enterprise Class 2TB RE4-GP Green drives which have 5 year warranty but they are expensive (originally used in a QNAP and now in a Microserver). WOW, I paid £150 each for mine but see they are now around £300 :eek:

I've also used 3TB Hitachi Deskstar drives in a QNAP and they worked perfectly. Currys had them at only £109 the other day but looks like they have gone back up now. Mine were the 7,200RPM ones.

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
No problems with my two WD Green's in a TS-209 II. I don't think the model is in the supported device list when I fitted them, detected and formatted ok.

QNAP generally tell you to avoid WD Green drives (other than the Enterprice WD RE4-GP ones).
They did pass testing but QNAP removed them from the list due to numerous problems their customers were experiencing.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom