NAS glitch

IRobot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Qnap 439 Pro II+ with four 2TB Seagate drives have been running fine since I purchased it three and a quarter years ago.

But yesterday I noticed a red light flashing and the green light above drive 1 flashing.

I checked the status and it didn't show a drive 1 as being present and RAID5 was running in degraded mode. So I assumed drive 1 had failed. I rebooted the NAS but no change so thought I would have to buy a replacement disk.

This morning when my NAS switched itself on, it found drive 1 and started rebuilding the RAID5 array o_O.

I've attached the log. What checks should I do to make sure everything's OK ? Should I still replace drive 1 anyway ?

Attachments

• NAS glitch.JPG
    NAS glitch.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 41
Did you do a bad block scan as suggested in the log?

It may remap the drive if there is a bad block.

I trust this is all backed up, so you can take a chance and run it for a while to ensure that all is well.

Thanks, I'm planning on starting the bad block scan tomorrow morning as I think it takes a long time.

The small stuff like docs and pics is backed up but music and movie files are not.

Any recomendations on backing up about 4TB of stuff ?

What I did when I had a similar situation (after freaking out a bit) is booted into a gparted distro and block-copied everything using ddrescue (GNU ddrescue Manual to another drive. It may be a bit of overkill, but if it's a mechanical failure, then the fewer operations are done to the disk - the better. Ddrescue has an intelligent skip algorithm that in theory doesn't thrash the disk if it encounters an error. For a Swiss army diagnostics tool I use Hiren's boot cd, specifically mhdd, it also has a gparted boot environment.
However, this operation requires a spare disk, ideally same capacity. Ddrescue can do sparse images, but raw sector copy is better in my opinion. If the disk is fine, well you'll end up with another 4tb of storage. If there are actual bad blocks on your disk, then you can RMA it if it's still under warranty

I use a couple of HP Microservers to backup my main nas. They are set to spin up in the early hours, backup all the important files and then spin down again.

Unless you went with maximum capacity hard drives in your nas initially, you tend to upgrade as required. I find that the best use of the old disks is to use them for backing up and the microserver is only about £100 with the cashback (variable and offers come and go), so a relatively cheap way of utilising those disks.

For a backup, you don't necessarily have to use any form of redundancy, so even a single 4tb drive will be sufficient.

The bad block scan finished on drive 1 and there were no issues. So looks like I'm OK but I've ordered a 3TB USB drive for backup anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom