NAS for Squeezebox - must have simple set up

Sailorman

Standard Member
A 'Golden oldie' has successfully installed:

~ wireless router (D-Link 825);
~ Squeezebox Radio & Duet (fantastic to be able to wirelessly stream music so easily around the house!);
~ software to store pictures (scanned film + output from digital camera)

Looking to free-up space on my computer - a Dell T3400 - (and cut down on energy use) with a NAS.

Thanks to posts I have read on this site, I am alerted to: ~ a NAS 'RAID' feature is no 'silver bullet' for data security (I need to think of 'remote' backup as well);
~ preferable to pick the hard drive from the 'recommended' list for whichever NAS I choose, and that disk cache/speed unlikely to determine performance (as wireless network likely to be restricting factor).

My NAS must be (i) simple to set up (as I have no abilty or inclination to hack into operating systems); (ii) fast & reliable in operation; and (iii) be able to absorb extra demands over a few years.

The research I have done has led me to two brands
(a) NetGear ReadyNas - Duo; NV+; Ultra; Ultra+
(b) QNAP - TS 210; TS 212; TS219P+

Research suggests that the Duo / NV+ are a little underpowered, the Ultra(+) is expensive BUT the QNAP site does not seem to explicitly refer to Squeezebox when discussing the TS219P (whereas it does make specific reference for TS212.

I would appreciate any advice re:
  1. Does the TS219P+ meet my requirement for simple set up for squeezebox?
  2. The Ultra(+) seems expensive, are there benefits that I am missing?
  3. Any other advice also appreciated

ukprometheus

i use the ultra 4 my squeezebox, there a great nas with a good support forum behind it.
the duo and NV+ are a little underpower as you suggest.
check out the synology nas boxes too as there range are quite good

graham.myers

Distinguished Member

amcluesent

Distinguished Member

Sailorman

Standard Member
Thanks very much for the input - what a great forum.

My take-away is that the higher end units from either NetGear or QNAP will likely serve my purpose.

At the moment I am probably leaning to NetGear (on basis they have most involvement with Squeezebox) - but perhaps it will come down to which nas has the best deal when I get to order.

mahutchinson

Standard Member
I am using a Synology DS110J from Aria, now £118.73 incl. delivery and VAT as there is a newer version, 111, recently out. Simple interface and installation of Squeezebox server. Many features. Just bought a Samsung Spinpoint 2TB to put in it at around £62.00. Under £175 total. I wouldn't think you need any great power for music and photos.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom