NAS for Media Streaming/ HDD type

Warlord1981

Standard Member
Hello guyz,

I'm in search for the best NAS for my following needs:

- NAS will store and stream media (especially heavy MKV and BD iso) to my devices on the home network. (TV, media player, PC, Laptop, etc.)
- Daily backup of my PC's C: drive
- NAS must have Torrent client
- I must be able to connect to my NAS through Internet from wherever I am and edit/add/delete/stream files.
- NAS must have 2-drive bay

What's the role of the CPU and RAM on a NAS? For decoding puproses for example? Then again the decoding process occurs on the client..

Meaning, is it worth to spend a lot of money and get the Synology ds212/+? Or a D-link DNS320/325 will do? If so, do you have anything else to recommend in this category?

What brand/model of HDD do you recommend for the NAS? How bout the new WD Red line, which is made exclusively for NAS servers? Has anyone tried them?

Thank You :)

EliteStu

I run a Qnap 219 and use it for exactly the needs you have listed. it's fantastic and highly recommend it.
http://web.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=211
There are other 2 bay models on the range, depending on your budget.
The software is fantastic and is the main reason I went for Qnap. Have a look on the website for the full list, but it does everything you want and a whole lot more.
I am not familiar with the Red drives you mention but I decided to go with WD Raid edition drives. Very expensive but very reliable. Depends if you are running RAID or not.
The CPU and RAM will help with running the onboard software and also how fast it reads and writes data to the disks. So worth stepping up from the cheaper end of the market if your using it a lot (which I expect you will).
As always, you get what you pay for....
Stuart

Last edited:

Warlord1981

Standard Member
thank you Stu_M3

i've seen this q-nap and if i decide to put a lot of money to the NAS then i'll be between this one and Synology ds212+..

But till then i wanna make sure a much more cheap NAS (i.e D-link DNS325) is not able do the same for a lot less $$ :)

EliteStu

No problem.
A cheaper unit certainly won't do "the same". I'm fairly certain of that.
I suppose the question is, will a cheaper until do what you need it to do sufficiently. ;)
I moved up from a "cheaper" iOmega" dual drive NAS and the difference in read/write performance was night and day.
To ensure no lag with streaming very large MKV's and at the same time other people in the house using the NAS, I didn't want to compromise; although it is quite expensive to buy a 2 bay NAS like the QNAP, by the time you add a couple of decent drives.... :eek:

Warlord1981

Standard Member
answer me honestly: your QNAP or HP Proliant Microserver n40l ? :)

(a bit trolling/offtopic, but a friend just proposed it..)

EliteStu

Depends on how much setup you are prepared to do yourself. And how "easy" you want the unit to be.
I considered the HP but for me it's more power hungry, requires you to setup your own O/S and all the hassle that goes with running Windows/Linux etc (this is all just my opinion before anyone jumps in and starts an argument over NAS versus Micro Server).
For me, the NAS was a plug and play solution that (and I hate using this phrase) Does what is says on the box. No hassle, quick setup, cheap to run and reliable. Even the missus can use it!
With the HP you will get more flexibility in terms of hardware, software and upgradabilty.
You pays your money, you makes your choice :D

Warlord1981

Standard Member
i dont mind long setups etc (well for now i think i dont :p)

the one thing i do mind though, which you mentioned, and its the first thing that i told to my friend as well, was indeed: Power Consumption... We're talking about 150W 24/7 (HP)...while QNAP/Synology of the same category as yours..20W max?

EliteStu

I also don't normally mind long setups in the case of PC's and servers, but in the case of a home NAS I really don't want to waste my time on it. I just want it "to work". I used to have a Windows Home Server and it caused me no end of grief having to sort Windows issues out. With a NAS you slide two drives in, switch it on and do the basic setup. Job done.
If you fancy having something more configurable and don't mind the time involved then the HP is an option.

Yep, I think my QNAP is 16w. You can set the drives to spin down of course and the QNAP can be set to power up/down at set times. If I am using the torrent client it's on 24/7 and at 16w I don't mind that. If i have no downloads queued, I have it set to power off at 11pm and back up at 8am.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I've had my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo.v1 for over three years of faultless service - and that cost £235.

I too was sorely tempted by the HP Proliant N40L, but realised that after cashback there were added costs such as WHS2011, iHomeServer, and extra memory - not to mention, out of the box, the limited spare drive bays, not being hot-swappable, and only offering RAID 1 and 0.

However, I've recently bought a four-bay X-RAID2/Flexraid ReadyNAS NV+.v2 (powered by ARM processor) for just £159 from Dabs - which I can use to run PLEX directly on the device, plus iTunes Server on the way - and I still get to use Logitech Media Server (which is available also on the N40L).

Compared to my old Duo, the NV+.v2 is lightning-fast, and provides everything I need for a switch it on and forget system.

The HP Microserver might have a 150w psu but it certainly doesn't use that. Uses about 25w idle and 40w under load.
Definitely be my recommendation.

Warlord1981

Standard Member
hmm..are you sure about that? then why does it have 3 times stronger psu than it needs?

what other advantage does the HP have?

psikey

Distinguished Member
I've gone from QNAP NAS having had TS-109; TS-119; TS219PII and even a TS-659 but now use a Microserver N40L.

T0 get a similar level of power and storage space you'd be looking at a QNAP TS-459Pro II costing over £600 without drives! (My Microserver cost me £139 after the discount then as little as £36 for the OS if you choose WHS2011).

In operation with 4 x 3TB WD RED NAS drives and an SSD for the OS it peaks at 45W and in idle with drives powered down about 25W which is nearly identical to the QNAP. If you hibernate with WOL as needed it consumes under 1W same as a QNAP in sleep.

It really comes down to if you want an off the shelf solution or build your own, and of course cost. Not forgetting NAS are Linux based whereas the Microserver can be Linux or Windows dependant on your preference.

PS the WD 3TB RED drives are excellent.

As for the PSU size, if you want you can and graphics(25w max)/sound cards to the Microserver also making it a decent HTPC/NAS combo which would then pull about 90W in gaming. PSU's are always sized bigger than needed as its better to run them under 75% load to reduce heat/noise.

Last edited:

Warlord1981

Standard Member
wow there psikey u've got me convinced.. quite a monster you've got there..
Next move add more RAM till you reach the 8GB limit ;)
The SSD is an addition of your own i guess? stock HDD for OS is standard 250GB drive?

PS: too bad drives are not hot-swappable

psikey

Distinguished Member
wow there psikey u've got me convinced.. quite a monster you've got there..
Next move add more RAM till you reach the 8GB limit ;)
The SSD is an addition of your own i guess? stock HDD for OS is standard 250GB drive?

PS: too bad drives are not hot-swappable
Got 4GB in mine which is more than enough. You can just run the included 250GB off the Optical port but mines a bit more sophisticated than that as I have a 2 port SATA card in there which drives a pair of 2.5" drives (one the SSD) and an optical drive. Its mostly used for Media Streaming with TwonkyMedia & Torrents using uTorrent. I did origanally have WHS2011 but currently run with Win7Pro (had a copy).

You really don't need hot-swap for a home server. Its a 5 minute job to power down and swap the drive.

Last edited:

Warlord1981

Standard Member
hmm..wait a minute..the n40l doesnt have a SATA card itself?

why w7pro over whs2011 for a server?

since WD Red are the most expensive line (if i'm not wrong) green series will do as well?

psikey

Distinguished Member
The QNAP TS-650 Pro I had got it cheap at £600 as over £1000 new without hard drives!

My current Microserver solution 4 x 3TB drives, a 60GB SSD for OS and a 500GB 2.5" drive for essential backup. Also have a pair of 3TB WD Green drives for external backup in eSata housings (Microserver as eSata on back).

psikey

Distinguished Member
hmm..wait a minute..the n40l doesnt have a SATA card itself?

The Microserver has four sata ports for the drive bays, one sata for an optical drive plus eSATA on the back. Many use the optical SATA port for an OS drive leaving the 4 drive bays purely for data(SFF8087 connector on motherboard). I wanted to inculde an optical drive and backup drive so needed another two SATA which I added with a cheap £17 two port PCI - SATA card.

why w7pro over whs2011 for a server?

I originally had the previous N36L Microserver with WHS2011 but sold that as a full working system with drives and built a new one using the N40L. I already had an un-used copy of Win7Pro so used that rather than buying WHS2011 again. Is has pro's & con's dependant on what you want to do with it.

since WD Red are the most expensive line (if i'm not wrong) green series will do as well?

I used originally WD 2TB RE4-GP Enterprise class drives which are even more expensive :D But before I went for the 3TB RED's I was using the 3TB WD Green which are now my backup drives. Worked fine in RAID0 or RAID1. You can do RAID5 in WHS2011 but not Win7Pro if I recall.
See above replies. Think the RED's are about £30 premium on the Greens but worth it as noticeably higher performance, RAID 24/7 longer life specified and really quiet.

Last edited:

psikey

Distinguished Member
Warlord1981 said:
psikey what OS do u recommend for my needs?

i've been told fedora-AMAHI is fast, light, reliable, easy for my needs..
I've only used Linux as part of NAS drives I've had. All I can suggest is WHS 2011 (have Win7Pro on mine as had an unused copy)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom