• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NAS For Blu-Ray Streaming

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I am very new to the notion of NAS's.

I was just looking them over after seeing a deal on Hotukdeals and they peaked my curiosity.

Can I ask if anyone could recommend a good 2 Bay NAS specifically for streaming Blu-ray rips to a PS3/Xbox360 and the like.

When I say blu-ray rips I do not want to convert them to MKV's which lowers the PQ I mean stream as native TS files or even ISOs.

As another idea I was thinking was an article I found was suggesting to build your own. Is this a good idea or not?

Here is the article

How to build a NAS box | bit-tech.net

If I were to build my own does anywhere sell empty NAS cases so I can just chuck the Motherboard/CPU/Ram and Hard drives inside.

Thanks for any help on this

Fe_man2000

You cant play bluray rips on either a ps3 or a xbox as far as I know without some conversion surely ? (or mkv for that matter)

MarkE19

If I were to build my own does anywhere sell empty NAS cases so I can just chuck the Motherboard/CPU/Ram and Hard drives inside.
I think your best bet at the moment would be to get an HP Microserver. At £239 it's not exactly cheap, but you can get £100 cashback from HP so it is really only £139 and you can't buy a decent NAS for that.
You can then use the likes of FreeNAS or unRAID as the OS, or even buy Windows Home Server

As mentioned I'm fairly sure you can't stream a full BluRay rip to the PS3 or XBox360 as their media support is fairly limited. For BluRay's you really need to be looking at a dedicated media streamer, which will also give you options such as creating a video jukebox.

Mark.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
At £239 it's not exactly cheap, but you can get £100 cashback from HP so it is really only £139 and you can't buy a decent NAS for that.

Thanks but looking at the offer it was only for the 1st till 30th November. Or have there been any extensions to it?

PAH

Thanks but looking at the offer it was only for the 1st till 30th November. Or have there been any extensions to it?

I've seen the updated claim form for the newer N40L (i.e. the offer has expired on the older N36L) running to the end of December, but waiting for HP to link to it to be 100% certain. So I'd keep an eye on your preferred vendor as they should be updating the offer if they haven't already.

niall campbell

you need to rip to Divx

I am telling you the 1080p in Divx is really good on the xbox

it will never be as good as blu ray but near as dam it

even 720 ripped from blu ray is good !!

DONT use Divx plus/ HD it wont work

next problem is using CAT 5e or 6 cable. I am upgrading to CAT 6 as its now cheap

what you want is a NAS with ethernet to connect to your router. This will make it wireless as well but any DLNA equipment like xbox/ PS 3 / blu ray player and TVs !!!!!!!!!!! Even TVs before SMART TV became the buzz word will play Divx and AVi files

please rip to Divx and everything will play them, save you a lot of work
Western Digital My Book World Edition 2TB Home Network Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

sjackson

Still great value!

Dan201

I didn't think there was a drop down in quality when ripping blurays unless they are compressed. Makemkv shouldn't reduce picture quality, unless someone tells me im wrong.

themediaman

I didn't think there was a drop down in quality when ripping blurays unless they are compressed. Makemkv shouldn't reduce picture quality, unless someone tells me im wrong.

that's my belief also, mkv just hold the audio and video inside..........

obviously maintaining menus and extras wont be possible........

I am so close to getting the wife to buy the proliant........:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom