Question NAS for 4K + Infuse

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I've a very basic question, but the world of NAS is completely unfamiliar to me.

I want to buy a two bay NAS to use solely for:
  • 4K films to Infuse on Apple TV 4K
  • run a torrent client (and possibly VPN)
  • store all my music
Given the NAS would simply serve up files here, I presume it doesn't need to be too fancy (as it might need to be if, for instance, I wanted it to run a Plex server)? Could I get away with one of the older Synologys? e.g. a DS213+

As you say it's just serving data, it doesn't need to be high powered.

Another option would be an HP Microserver, that would be a bit more work however but you'd get more disc racks for the same money.

I have a Synology and it's an excellent piece of kit to the point once it's setup it just works.

As you say it's just serving data, it doesn't need to be high powered.

Another option would be an HP Microserver, that would be a bit more work however but you'd get more disc racks for the same money.

I have a Synology and it's an excellent piece of kit to the point once it's setup it just works.
Great, thanks for the quick reply. Just working once set up is precisely what I want.

I don't foresee me ever needing anything too powerful either, as it'll be used solely with Infuse, or perhaps Kodi in the future, both of which I understand only require the files to be served up. I've seen a couple of used DS213+ so I might put in an offer...

The only remaining question I have is whether I could get away with using it in the living room, as that's the only place I can connect it directly to the router at the moment. I was looking into how much noise it would make and noticed one of your posts:

Mine sits in the hallway under a console table.

I had to put it in my living room for a week while I was having some work done in the house and it did my head in with all the clicking and whirring.

Does that mean the Synology in the same room as the one I watch TV in is a bad idea?

I've a very basic question, but the world of NAS is completely unfamiliar to me.

I want to buy a two bay NAS to use solely for:
  • 4K films to Infuse on Apple TV 4K
  • run a torrent client (and possibly VPN)
  • store all my music
Given the NAS would simply serve up files here, I presume it doesn't need to be too fancy (as it might need to be if, for instance, I wanted it to run a Plex server)? Could I get away with one of the older Synologys? e.g. a DS213+

Hi DougAP,

I'm on my 2nd Synology NAS, as Sloppy Bob said they are reliable and easy to set up, my only comment and the reason I upgraded was I found the 2 bay version limiting and after a couple of years went to a 4 bay model, which I wished I'd started with, leaving the spare bays empty until I needed them. Again I've always run mine from a remote location (Under the stairs) as there is no need to be in the same room as long as you can get network cables where you need them.

Bob

I suppose I could run a network cable to the router, but it would involve drilling a hole through the wall into the next room, which I'd prefer to avoid doing.

Is it so loud as to be noticeable, even when sitting in a cabinet about 2.5m away from me?

I suppose I could run a network cable to the router, but it would involve drilling a hole through the wall into the next room, which I'd prefer to avoid doing.

Is it so loud as to be noticeable, even when sitting in a cabinet about 2.5m away from me?

Hi DougAP,
To be honest I can't comment, as never had it in same room when quiet, I pre-wired my house with network cabling so as soon as built located it under the stairs, I would say it's fairly quiet, but Sloppy Bob seems to have tried it and not been happy with the noise levels.

Hopefully there will be some other input from others using it exactly as you'd like to.

Bob

I suppose in reality, it won't alter my decision to buy one, as I need one. It will affect where I put it though, and whether or not I need to drill through a wall!

Use home plugs

Noise tends to be somewhat subjective - what is acceptable to one person can be irritating and annoying to another. The drives can also be a big factor - some are distinctly noisier than others, especially when the heads are thrashing.

I have a Micorserver running 5 HDD's in my living room (nowhere else it can go) and whilst I can certainly hear it, (especially the O/S disc,) my fridge is louder when it kicks in. But it's also highly likely that I've somewhat (subconsciously) "tuned it out" in my head. I tend to "notice" it most when I turn it off ("ooo - quieter.")

As above, you could try powerline adapters, they turn your house wiring into ....... ethernet as such.

I'd always advise buying from a retailer with a good returns policy though as they may work really well or may be absolute rubbish as it's dependant upon your house wiring.

I'd also add 4K films and 2 bays doesn't give you a lot of space. A ripped 4K film is coming in about 40-80GB

As above, you could try powerline adapters, they turn your house wiring into ....... ethernet as such.

I'd always advise buying from a retailer with a good returns policy though as they may work really well or may be absolute rubbish as it's dependant upon your house wiring.

Worth a try. I realised the router sits next to an air vent to the front garden. I could easily run wires through that, bury them, then drill through the exterior wall to the adjoining spare room and run the wires in there. Should be pretty straightforward. There's are two Cat6 connections on a wall plate next to the router, running to another wall plate by my TV caninet. So it would be easy to connect everything together.

I'd also add 4K films and 2 bays doesn't give you a lot of space. A ripped 4K film is coming in about 40-80GB

I had been thinking the same. I knew this would get expensive...

Hi DougAP, I have now had my Synology NAS 214play for a while.
So from experience couple of suggestions-
* Plex Server upto 1080p no probs, however anything more it struggles.
If you were to use the NAS as a storage only and the Plex Server hosted from another PC/Mac then it would work ok with 4K.
If you plan on hosting the Plex Server from the Synology NAS I would recommend slightly better spec NAS. DS218+?
* LAN is must for 4K. Powerline plugs just won’t work for 4K.
* I have mine in a cabinet 3 meters away from where we sit. No one seems to complain of any noise in the room. However if the cabinet door is left ajar, you can definitely appreciate the whirring/clicking of the HDD.

I'm also another HP micro server user. Plex (serves ATV's) and Owncloud main uses, via the excellent Ubuntu Server OS. Moved away from NAS's onto servers some years ago now, didn't like the software RAID, preferred Hardware RAID. Have been through various, "industrial servers" such as Dells PowerEdge systems and settled on the excellent HP Micro Server, due to its low power-draw, it doesn't sound like a jet engine taking off and the increase in HDD size meaning no need to have 36 bays anymore :laugh:

Tip, if you're looking to use a HP Micro Server, there are some very nice mods you should check out before buying one. Such as this RAID controller: -

==> HP ProLiant P410 Smart Array SAS Raid Controller 462919-001 w/ SAS Cable 498425

Last edited:
Also, I feel it my responsibility to add (donning my anti-corporate cloud services hat (made from tin foil)) that by creating your own file cloud server (virtually free as you have the HDD space anyway and the server is always on), you will never have to worry about corporations rummaging around in your stuff. Store/file whatever you want. You own what you store, not them.

I use owncloud, but there are others equally as good out there. A few clicks and you have TB of cloud storage. I couldn't be without mine. Its my virtual filing cabinet.

* LAN is must for 4K. Powerline plugs just won’t work for 4K.

As I said it's dependant upon your house wiring. I have powerline adapters running to my cinema room and steaming full 4K remuxes with no issues.

They won't however stream to the lounge, probably because of the wiring circuit, so I've had to run ethernet in there.

I don't think I'd leave my NAS in a closed cabinet unless it was very large or had good airflow as they can get quite hot.

My Synology NAS sits in a cupboard just fine. I just make sure it's got room all sides to keep ventilated but it never spins the fan up, even when applying updates or other CPU intensive tasks. I also remove it and air dust it once a year.

I can't hear my NAS itself, but the WD Reds are noisy track hoppers. This doesn't bother me in my home office, but it would if it was in my lounge, but then there's no enclosed space there to site it.

Lastly for a large 4K movie collection, I'd be looking at the bigger NASes, say 5 bay and up. There's one on the bay of e if you fancy trying your luck.

Thanks everyone for the help. I've just bought one from the classifieds which should hopefully do for just serving up media etc.

For Sale - Synology DS413 4 bay NAS

I'll have to wait until I get it set up before deciding whether or not it's too noisy in my room. Chances are it will be by the sounds of things, so I'll likely have to put it in the next room, which will take a bit of work but is doable.

Thanks everyone for the help. I've just bought one from the classifieds which should hopefully do for just serving up media etc.

For Sale - Synology DS413 4 bay NAS

I'll have to wait until I get it set up before deciding whether or not it's too noisy in my room. Chances are it will be by the sounds of things, so I'll likely have to put it in the next room, which will take a bit of work but is doable.

SSD drives can help eliminate noise though they come at a cost, the price of 1TB SSD drives has dropped quite a bit, down to £116 for crucial 1TB models.

Synology NAS can go quiet under the right conditions, under control panel->hardware & power
* there is a fan speed mode, besides quiet mode there is a low power mode which stops the fan so long as the temp remains in cool range, if the room does not get too hot you can use low power mode with no fan noise from NAS.

* in same area there is power schedule tab, this allows you to power on/off the NAS, very useful if the NAS is only ever going to be used at certain times.

* you also have HDD hibernation, this will spin down the HDD's making it much more quiet so long as there is no activity, you can set the time period to wait, however be aware some third party apps you may install on the NAS via Syno app store will block this function as they may be always scanning at intervals.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom